Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is prison too soft and does it work?
GMR
post Aug 3 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Reading something Andrea put up on another post - about prisons (“I usually believe that serving a life long prison sentence would be worse than the death ”) reminded me of the programme on Tuesday nights at 9; Nick Ross “all about Crime” or something like that.

A lot of prisoners were on a revolving door where prison was concerned. They were happy to do the crime and getting caught wasn’t a problem because drugs were easily accessible, you’ve get better comforts inside than outside, you get 3 good meals a day etc, etc. Prison isn’t a deterrent, but a holiday camp.

There was a case in Europe where a released prisoner broke back into prison because he preferred the comforts of prison than the comforts of home. He was better treated and they did his ‘washing’ for him.

We are not punishing them by putting them in jail, we are rewarding them.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 3 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I agree GMR. Its all to do with 'Human Rights'

As far as I'm concerned you lose the right to have 'Human Rights' when sent to prison and should be treated accordingly. No Pool Table. No Sky TV. No Phone Cards. Visiting orders cut to once every other month. Work in the community in Orange Boiler suits in a chain gang cleaning the roads and doing general maintenance with armed guards accompanying them. Solitary confinement for any rule breaking. Drug Testing weekly to ensure that no narcotics have been taken. And if they have - Solitary confinement. Grow a lot of their own food in prison gardens. etc etc

Its not difficult to make Prison somwehere where you would not want to go is it?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 3 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of this guy's book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 3 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 3 2009, 11:35 AM) *
I agree GMR. Its all to do with 'Human Rights'

As far as I'm concerned you lose the right to have 'Human Rights' when sent to prison and should be treated accordingly. No Pool Table. No Sky TV. No Phone Cards. Visiting orders cut to once every other month. Work in the community in Orange Boiler suits in a chain gang cleaning the roads and doing general maintenance with armed guards accompanying them. Solitary confinement for any rule breaking. Drug Testing weekly to ensure that no narcotics have been taken. And if they have - Solitary confinement. Grow a lot of their own food in prison gardens. etc etc

Its not difficult to make Prison somwehere where you would not want to go is it?

Well said TD&H my sentiments entirely.
Make prison painfull and unpleasant and maybe the criminals will think twice before doing the crime.
As you say it's not difficult!!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

Agreed with previous posters.

UK prison system is a complete joke!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 3 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Perhaps we should take a leaf out of this guy's book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Gee, thats almost a Police State they have there! Maybe get this guy to run the schools - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 3 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

He might be tough but the law-abiding citizens love him. Served since 1992 and IIRC, has an approval rating of about 85%.

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 3 2009, 12:01 PM) *
He might be tough but the law-abiding citizens love him. Served since 1992 and IIRC, has an approval rating of about 85%.

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.

Like the law abiding parkers love the traffic wardens!!!!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 3 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

The figures speak for themselves. If they didn't like him, they would vote him out.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Aug 3 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I think we need to look to other countries to see how they treat their criminals in prisons, we are far too soft.

TD&H, i totally agree with you on the human rights...... If you invade someones home, kill, rape or beat someone up, then you should lose your human rights.

The criminals have far too much protection and the victims have "councilling"

Something needs to be done

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 3 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Aug 3 2009, 12:16 PM) *
I think we need to look to other countries to see how they treat their criminals in prisons, we are far too soft.

TD&H, i totally agree with you on the human rights...... If you invade someones home, kill, rape or beat someone up, then you should lose your human rights.

The criminals have far too much protection and the victims have "councilling"

Something needs to be done

The programme I mentioned with Nick Ross said there are countless organisations and laws that protect and help the criminal, but only one - victims anonymous (or something like that) - that helps the victim. That is totally out of order.

A lot of criminal kids get sent on holiday or overseas to help them; good kids who have done nothing wrong don’t get such good rewards. The moral of the story is that crime pays.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 3 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Though I agree with all that is said on this topic, and yes we have been saying for a very long time that the prisons are like holiday camps ; but are they ?
Society is made up of a diverse cross section, and the criminal element tend to come from the "rougher" end of the spectrum which means that they have had a poor parental guidance, received inadequate education and lived on estates where hooliganism is rife.
If one comes from that sort of background prison would seem like Butlins , but if you have been brought up in a proper respectful way and in a moment of weakness you stray from the civilised road ,then a spell in one of Her Majesty's B & Bs must be pure hades.
Just imagine for one moment, you commit a minor crime only to find the local thug having been sent down out of harms way is your new cell mate , now tell me it's a holiday camp.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 3 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 3 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Just imagine for one moment, you commit a minor crime only to find the local thug having been sent down out of harms way is your new cell mate , now tell me it's a holiday camp.

The moral of that story should be not to commit minor crimes otherwise you could be sharing a cell with the local thug who’s been terrorising you all your life. On top of that that local thug has discovered he had an attraction towards you - which hadn’t risen yet (up until now) - and now, being in close proximity, he can consummate those feelings. Wouldn’t you had wished you were a good boy? wink.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 3 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 3 2009, 04:15 PM) *
The moral of that story should be not to commit minor crimes otherwise you could be sharing a cell with the local thug who’s been terrorising you all your life. On top of that that local thug has discovered he had an attraction towards you - which hadn’t risen yet (up until now) - and now, being in close proximity, he can consummate those feelings. Wouldn’t you had wished you were a good boy? wink.gif

Now you are making the whole thing seem a little more attractive ( allegedly ).

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 4 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

"Is prison too soft and does it work?"

Yes

& No.

+Quote Post
Instigator
post Aug 4 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 179

Prison started being soft a long time before all if this Human rights b*ll*cks came in. I grew up in an area knowing of people that have served time that have said things along the lines of :-

"while you are in there, you dont have to worry about anything!"

"I was staying at Her Majesty's pleasure, Believe me, the pleasure was all mine!"

"I spent 6 months learning how to not get caught for what I did"

On top of this you see reports of Playstations and X boxes, Dvd's, Blu-rays, Pool tables, being available, In one Prison they actually had more x boxes than cells, (I cant remember where I read this but I will find it), hang on... why have they even got TV's?

Before anyone says they need something to do to stop them rioting, It should be hard toil from daybreak, until sunset, that can keep the f**kers "entertained" so much that when its time for them, all they will want is sleep.

--------------------
INSTIGATOR

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 4 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Instigator @ Aug 4 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Prison started being soft a long time before all if this Human rights b*ll*cks came in. I grew up in an area knowing of people that have served time that have said things along the lines of :-

"while you are in there, you dont have to worry about anything!"

"I was staying at Her Majesty's pleasure, Believe me, the pleasure was all mine!"

"I spent 6 months learning how to not get caught for what I did"

On top of this you see reports of Playstations and X boxes, Dvd's, Blu-rays, Pool tables, being available, In one Prison they actually had more x boxes than cells, (I cant remember where I read this but I will find it), hang on... why have they even got TV's?

Before anyone says they need something to do to stop them rioting, It should be hard toil from daybreak, until sunset, that can keep the f**kers "entertained" so much that when its time for them, all they will want is sleep.

Yes, if they were made to work hard in prison they wold think twice about going back.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 4 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

I wonder how many on here can hold up there heads, and say in all honesty, they have never committed a minor crime or ever done anything that was technically illegal. Theoretically all these things could result in a jail sentence, I wonder how keen you would be in those circumstances, to be treated like animals.

Surely the whole point of a prison sentence is to deprive a person of their freedom, which for many would be horrendous.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 4 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2009, 12:02 PM) *
Like the law abiding parkers love the traffic wardens!
Funny that isn't it.

In one thread it's "get tough on crime" in another it's "I'm a poor persecuted motorist".

Beware of putting a foot wrong yourself, those who cry out for "zero tolerance" of crime.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 4 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

This sort of poster might work...?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:04 AM