IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bliue Badge Scheme Abuse, Should our local authorities do more?
Biker1
post Aug 26 2015, 11:34 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

It's the theft and abuse that is the real issue.
I think anyone found abusing the system should have the privilege taken away.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 26 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 26 2015, 11:51 AM) *
Yes, but then you have to assess the means to pay and wouldn't each candidate need verification/investigating?

I'm in agreement with you in principle, but often the ability to pay issue is lumbered with a costly administrative overhead.

I guess I see the free parking aspect as an extention of disability benefit - so I don't see why those not in need of financial support because of their disability should get this benefit. Let's face it, those on job seekers allowance, tax credits or other benefits have to pay for parking - ability to pay is not an issue there.

To me the argument regarding the inability to use payment machines is far stronger than any financial issue.

It is also worth noting that several Newbury car parks charge for parking, blue badge or not - so free parking is not a right.

I should also note that I am not against Simon's approach of free parking for all!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 26 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 26 2015, 01:49 PM) *
I guess I see the free parking aspect as an extention of disability benefit - so I don't see why those not in need of financial support because of their disability should get this benefit. Let's face it, those on job seekers allowance, tax credits or other benefits have to pay for parking - ability to pay is not an issue there.

To me the argument regarding the inability to use payment machines is far stronger than any financial issue.

It is also worth noting that several Newbury car parks charge for parking, blue badge or not - so free parking is not a right.

I should also note that I am not against Simon's approach of free parking for all!

A blue badge is not just about free parking or otherwise. It permits parking on yellow lines - the idea being to minimise the distance from the holder's ultimate destination.

I used to drive my late mother who had a blue badge - I as allowed to park on yellow lines to 'unload' her and her walker/mobility scooter, but then had to move to ;normal; parking.

Don't forget, a blue badge is only for use on the public highway or council controlled off road parking. They are meaningless in places like the retail park or Sainsbury's. This is stated clearly on the badge.

I do not hold a blue badge, but I am legally disabled within the meaning of the Equalities Act - 'disabled' spaces in private car parks are fair game. At Tesco, the disabled spaces are further from the store entrance than normal or parent/child space.

Also, just an afterthought, most pay & display machines are too high for a wheelchair user.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 26 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 26 2015, 01:49 PM) *

Well, I'm not proposing free parking as such, just free at the point of use. Car parks would still need building and maintaining, and to a much reduced degree administering too, but as a public good I believe it's right that we should be taxed to provide them.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:58 AM