IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bliue Badge Scheme Abuse, Should our local authorities do more?
Biker1
post Aug 22 2015, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

The theft and abuse of blue badges is on the increase.
Link.
Is this a major issue and should we be doing more to prevent it locally?
Personally I think it is heavily abused to a greater extent than we are told and this annoys me greatly.
Is there a method of reporting perceived abuse locally?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Aug 22 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 22 2015, 08:09 AM) *
The theft and abuse of blue badges is on the increase.
Link.
Is this a major issue and should we be doing more to prevent it locally?
Personally I think it is heavily abused to a greater extent than we are told and this annoys me greatly.
Is there a method of reporting perceived abuse locally?

Report to WBC parking permits office.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 23 2015, 07:01 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Aug 22 2015, 10:38 AM) *
Report to WBC parking permits office.

Where did you get that info. from, and would it do any good?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Aug 23 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 23 2015, 08:01 AM) *
Where did you get that info. from, and would it do any good?

They are responsible for issuing so presumably?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 23 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Another way of drawing attention would be to be a good citizen and go across to the vehicle and offer to help the disabled person.....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 23 2015, 11:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Aug 23 2015, 08:04 PM) *
They are responsible for issuing so presumably?

It's true that the WBC parking office issue disabled permits. They are not doctors though, nor are they nurses, nor are they any sort of healthcare professional. They don't don't have access to medical records or history. They are basically administrators that sort through the applications and supporting documentation and issue Blue Badges where criteria is met. They phone up and speak to applicants if there is a query over the detail, but not all applicants are openly wanting to discuss their condition and they have to be sensitive and use discretion over the way they challenge any application (imagine how that would look in the NWN rolleyes.gif ).

Doctors ultimately issue the authorising certificate confirming that the applicant is mobility impaired, so if there is a question over the validity of Blue Badge issue it should be directed at their health care professional who has either assessed them correctly or incorrectly. I doubt whether you, or even WBC, would get much joy over questioning why a doctor has signed off on a Blue Badge application given data protection rules and patient confidentiality. Sometimes you have to accept that some Blue Badge Holders are genuine, some are playing the system with a minor ailment and some have put undue pressure on a weak doctor or intimidated them into putting a squiggle on a piece of paper....

Remember though that in these enlightened times you don't have to have had a limb missing to qualify as 'disabled'. Even fatties get Blue Badges these days.....

Fatso charter for parking

... personally I think these lazy chubbers should have allocated parking at the furthest point from the shop entrance. Probably the only exercise some of them get when rushing out to get their cream cakes and 5 llitre bottles of diet coke

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Aug 24 2015, 04:57 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Theft and abuse??

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 24 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Aug 24 2015, 05:57 AM) *
Theft and abuse??

My post was more in relation to the abuse which annoys biker and how it is difficult to determine whether abuse is actually taking place. I know that I was nearly caught out when about to shout at someone for parking in a space and running off to a cashpoint when just as they got back to their car and stepped into the drivers seat their trouser leg rode up to reveal a high tech false leg. You would never have known.

Theft is something else.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 24 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 24 2015, 05:15 PM) *
My post was more in relation to the abuse which annoys biker and how it is difficult to determine whether abuse is actually taking place. I know that I was nearly caught out when about to shout at someone for parking in a space and running off to a cashpoint when just as they got back to their car and stepped into the drivers seat their trouser leg rode up to reveal a high tech false leg. You would never have known.

Is someone capable of running to a cashpoint (false leg or not) really in need of a blue badge?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 24 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Being in possession of two good limbs I can only guess, but maybe there are days when your stump is itching like a bitch and you don't want to attach a prosthetic, whether it's a wooden peg or a ultra high tech wizard device capable of allowing you to actually run. Some people have earned the right to a Blue Badge and I wouldn't want to question that right

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 25 2015, 04:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Aug 24 2015, 05:57 AM) *
Theft and abuse??

Precisely.
I have an acquaintance who was a Parking Officer in Reading who says the abuse is more around 50%.
Mainly people using the badge when the person it applies to is not with them and even people using that of a deceased person.
As Blackdog says, is someone who leaps out of a car and is more mobile than me either in need of the badge, or are they abusing it?
Parking is a big issue for many motorists. A blue badge is worth a lot of money and convenience in saved fees and wider, reserved spaces. If abuse is as high as is thought then, yes, it annoys me.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 25 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Disabled people are not necessarily poor people - why does a blue badge automatically mean free parking? Should there be two colours - one giving free parking the other giving access to the parking spots, but with the need to pay the same as the able bodied?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 25 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 25 2015, 10:53 AM) *
Disabled people are not necessarily poor people - why does a blue badge automatically mean free parking? Should there be two colours - one giving free parking the other giving access to the parking spots, but with the need to pay the same as the able bodied?

I suspect the idea is to reduce unnecessary manoeuvres (going to a pay machine).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 25 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 25 2015, 11:32 AM) *
I suspect the idea is to reduce unnecessary manoeuvres (going to a pay machine).

Fair point - but only applies to those capable of driving. Many blue badges are used by able bodied people chauffeuring the disabled - they are capable of using a pay machine.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 25 2015, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 25 2015, 11:42 AM) *
Fair point - but only applies to those capable of driving. Many blue badges are used by able bodied people chauffeuring the disabled - they are capable of using a pay machine.

Then I would imagine the cost of administering means testing has little or no cost benefit.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 25 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 25 2015, 01:46 PM) *
Then I would imagine the cost of administering means testing has little or no cost benefit.

There needn't be any cost - not receiving disability benefits then you don't get free parking.

The idea is to somehow reduce the value of the badges, making theft and abuse less prevalent. Perhaps even split the function - blue badge allows you to use the parking bays, parking permit gives free parking - you might get both, but many wouldn't.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 25 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 25 2015, 05:24 PM) *
There needn't be any cost - not receiving disability benefits then you don't get free parking.

The idea is to somehow reduce the value of the badges, making theft and abuse less prevalent. Perhaps even split the function - blue badge allows you to use the parking bays, parking permit gives free parking - you might get both, but many wouldn't.

Your original argument was that some people can afford to park and they should pay; therefore, you will have to have a means test, so there will be a cost to that.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 25 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Firstly, I'd make public car parks free. Parking is a public good that should be paid for out of taxation.

Secondly, I'd paint designated bays for the less-able but I wouldn't have any qualification to use them, so no blue badge or anything, and no actual penalty for miss-use, but I'd leave it to the personal morality of the individual to choose if they needed the space over and above anyone else, and leave it to social norms to enforce in much the same was as this:

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 26 2015, 08:44 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 25 2015, 06:51 PM) *
Your original argument was that some people can afford to park and they should pay; therefore, you will have to have a means test, so there will be a cost to that.

Isn't the means testing is already done to qualify for benefits?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 26 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 26 2015, 09:44 AM) *
Isn't the means testing is already done to qualify for benefits?

Yes, but then you have to assess the means to pay and wouldn't each candidate need verification/investigating?

I'm in agreement with you in principle, but often the ability to pay issue is lumbered with a costly administrative overhead.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:49 PM