3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arrogant drivers.
Steve
post May 24 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

I often have to drive across the bridge linking Hambridge Road with Boundary Road. The signs are quite clear; Priority is in favour of those leaving Hambridge Road. How often have I seen cars coming in the opposite direction and trying to squeeze between my vehicle and the bridge wall? They are either too stupid or too arrogant to reverse. Travelling further up Boundary Road there is usually one side full of parked cars. Again, priority is in favour of those in the empty lane. Not for one woman last week. Despite seeing me driving on the only lane available, mine, she started driving straight towards me in a manner suggesting it was her intention to drive straight through me if necessary. Luckily some kind of reasoning dawned on her and she stopped and reversed back so a clear position. Only when we drew past her did we receive the chav wave of a middle finger! So ladylike!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 26 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Guests

I live on a road off Boundary Road and the situations you mention plus the constant queues blocking entry/exit from Livingstone, Queens and York Road make driving in the area really stressful and theres real potential for a serious accident/incident.

People driving in both directions are as bad as each other.

I acknowledge that priority over the bridge is for those leaving Hambridge Road and some drivers heading the other way from Boundary Road do simply ignore this, but it has to be said that some smaller vehicles cant be seen until its too late. In these cases surely the driver entering Boundary Road should show common sense and let the other vehicle accross rather than mounting the PEDESTRIANS pavement and ploughing on through regardless.

Surely traffic lights on either side of the bridge are the answer.

I also agree about those who drive past the row of parked cars in either direction when they can see something coming the other way, all this does is wind people up and bring traffic in both directions to a standstill.

Common sense and courtesy are all that is required and why be in such a rush to join the inevitable queue at either end of Boundary Road anyway.

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post May 26 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

I agree that not all who fail to give way on the Boundary Road bridge do so out of arrogance, it is a bad design and traffic lights would make much more sense. Smaller cars can be harder to see until you start to cross the bridge, especially so, if you're a bit more challenged in the height department, such as myself!

So it would be nice if other drivers could show a little understanding if they do encounter someone who has proceeded without giving way as a result of the bad design, rather than arrogance, and perhaps act less arrogantly themselves by insisting on carrying on at all costs. Did hear one story recently of a driver who insisted on proceeding as they felt they had right of way, hence making the other driver reverse all the way back causing mayhem behind them.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 26 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I drive along that way on my way to work, sometimes twice a day. On several occasions I've found myself accidentally not giving way as I'm 5'2 and I drive a very low car. It's practically impossible for me to see a car smaller than a van until I'm on the bridge. Of course I try my best to make sure there are no cars coming before I proceed, but if I do end up going while there's a car coming from hambridge lane, I always wave apologetically as passing them. I've never experienced an arrogant driver on this road, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

+Quote Post
Dru
post Jun 10 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 137

Try the Stockcross roundabout in the mornings, the number of people that think the right hand lane is OK to get in to go straight across when coming from stockcross to Newbury

I have been nearly taken out a number of times when they fly across & expect to be able to come into the single lane when another car is coming off.

1. single carriageway over bridge (A34)
2. no arrow for merge
3. no alternate road marking so it is as per Highway code, Left lane to go straight across.

Even got mouth from some BMW driver who asked what the problem was & after telling him got the well I always use that lane. doen't make it correct though does it.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 15 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

grrrrrrrrr i was driving home on last week, coming off hambridge road to go over the bridge on boundary road, but the cars would not stop coming over from the other side, even though its my right of way. I sat patiently, but they kept coming so slowly edged closer to the bridge to make sure they could see me and they kept coming!!!!

In the end I started to push my way through and ended up getting loads of abuse from the drivers who were in the wrong. I think it was mainly due to the race traffic but still there are signs on the bridge.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 15 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Guests

Simon

I agree it is particularly bad on race days.

I thought that the direct access to Hambridge Road was always open on such days and if I'm right then there is no need for them to use Boundary Road at all.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 15 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Talking of arrogant car drivers; I was out cycling near the roundabout at Halfords – today - when a car cut in front of me and nearly caused me to crash. The driver then had a confrontation with another driver and then speeded off.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 16 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Your are correct Bill1, but a lot of drivers try the Boundary road route as it can queue quite badly at bridge within the racecourse.

I am hoping that the council will make the developer pay for the bridges to be widened if the new houses go ahead, as any extra traffic could start a sub-urban war

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 18 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Personally I think the driving test should be a mandatory 3 yearly affair. Fail & bye bye to the right to drive.
The main culprits are the ones who pottle along in a World of their own, oblivious to road signs, lane markings, other drivers etc etc.

The London Road entrance on to the Robin Hood is typical. The outside lane is NOT for going to Thatcham!!!!! Sainsbury roundabout - it is a ROUNDabout, you have to turn the steering wheel to go ROUND it!!!!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 18 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 18 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Personally I think the driving test should be a mandatory 3 yearly affair. Fail & bye bye to the right to drive.
The main culprits are the ones who pottle along in a World of their own, oblivious to road signs, lane markings, other drivers etc etc.

The London Road entrance on to the Robin Hood is typical. The outside lane is NOT for going to Thatcham!!!!! Sainsbury roundabout - it is a ROUNDabout, you have to turn the steering wheel to go ROUND it!!!!

People drive differently when they have their test. Making it mandatory every 3 years wouldn't solve anything as people will just play the game while taking the test.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 19 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Plus even if some of these people failed, i doubt that it would actually stop them driving.

What are the chances of getting pulled over by the Police?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 19 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Guests

Another thing that annoys me is when cars speed down the wrong lane just because it is clearer when they know full well that they will have to cut accross others at the last minute to get back to where they actually should be.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 19 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

That drives me crazy Bill, esp on motorways.

The junction to come off the M4 to go to Heathrow is the worst as its usually queuing so idiots drive down as near to the exit in the wrong lane as possible then stop and hold up traffic as they try and push in to the correct lane.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 19 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #15

Guests

Absolutely Simon.

On a more local note all the main roundabouts suffer from it as well as places like the A4 traffic lights between Hambbridge Road and the Cold Ash Roundabout where two lanes become one, every bloody night some twit in a BMW or the like go past my little Fiesta when it obvious that

a.) I'm going to have to brake to let them in and
b.) All they gain is to hit the next queue one car in front of where they would have been.

There are times when I think "Sod it tonight you're going to have to brake and pull in behind me and all the other patient souls who are just trying to get home or wherever" but of course I'm far to caring to do that and risk them having an accident.

In my dreams however............ wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 19 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 19 2009, 12:48 PM) *
the Cold Ash Roundabout where two lanes become one, every bloody night some twit in a BMW or the like go past my little Fiesta

I agree it's very annoying, but it's actually more efficient to fill up both lanes, and filter one-for-one where the lanes merge - best use of road space.

A similar thing that really annoys me is on the motorway at busy times when the outside lane is the slowest moving and people still move into it, effectively reducing the road to a third of its capacity. Me, I just carry on in the lane I'm in.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 19 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #17

Guests

JeffG

I'm on about the one lane stretch of Benham Hill before it becomes two lanes again approaching the roundabout.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 19 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Simon @ Jun 19 2009, 08:19 AM) *
Plus even if some of these people failed, i doubt that it would actually stop them driving.

What are the chances of getting pulled over by the Police?

with ANPR very high actually.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 29 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

Another idiot, same thing different day.........

Why is it nearly every morning when I turn right at the mini round about by Downs carpet, no one looks and just carrys on straight across angry.gif This happend again today at lunchtime. They then sit there looking dumbfounded at me ! They decide to curse me when they have driven off angry.gif That just winds me up and makes me want to turn round, chase them and give them a slap! Grrr. Really annoying me now. Whats the betting it will be the same tomora morning..... Oh well.....Miss nicey might turn miss nasty if it continues! If its you - Beware!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 29 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (AmieB @ Jun 29 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Another idiot, same thing different day.........

Why is it nearly every morning when I turn right at the mini round about by Downs carpet, no one looks and just carrys on straight across angry.gif This happend again today at lunchtime. They then sit there looking dumbfounded at me ! They decide to curse me when they have driven off angry.gif That just winds me up and makes me want to turn round, chase them and give them a slap! Grrr. Really annoying me now. Whats the betting it will be the same tomora morning..... Oh well.....Miss nicey might turn miss nasty if it continues! If its you - Beware!! tongue.gif

I'm with you Amie. I travel along hambridge lane everyday and I travel East (I think it's east anyway... I'm rubbish). I always slow down when approaching that round about because a lot of the time, I find people don't use their indicators or don't turn them on until they've started turning. But I find that when I follow some cars, they carry on at a normal speed and go right through. It's dangerous and it's just as though there isn't a roundabout there at all!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:48 AM