> Absolutely awful service!, Good whinge post
Baffers100
post May 15 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,653

Hi all,

I recently posted about a positive experience with a jewellers. Queue numerous posts questionning whether I worked there and had an alterior motive. So, in light of addressing the positive/negative balance, here's a whing post.

Last night, a whole group of us went to The Berkshire Arms to celebate my Dad's retirement. It's odd he chose there as he said that he had heard the service was pretty cruddy, but he wanted to give it a good.

True enough, service was appauling. Despite booking we were not shown to a table, we had to literally grab somebody so we could order, starters came out 45 minutes later, luke warm and with items missing. Main courses took a further 1 hour, and again were luke warm (burnt in areas).

Before anybody starts with the "did you address your concerns" enquiries, we certainly did. The upshot was that we had free food and drinks. Downside was that the food wasn' really worth shouting about, and the diabolocal experience basically tarnished the experience that was celebrating my dad's retirement (he's 65 poor chap). Everyone in there seemed to be complaining.

There was barely any waitresses, not one plate of food from 6 was hot, or had all items on it as advertised in the menu. I know if I want haute cusine I should go to the Vineyard etc, but you do expect people to be able to deliver. The manager spoke to us and explained "I have no clue what's going on."

In a nutshell- considering going to the Berkshire Arms?
Don't Bother.

Can anybody recommend anywhere good?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 15 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ May 15 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Hi all,

I recently posted about a positive experience with a jewellers. Queue numerous posts questionning whether I worked there and had an alterior motive. So, in light of addressing the positive/negative balance, here's a whing post.

Last night, a whole group of us went to The Berkshire Arms to celebate my Dad's retirement. It's odd he chose there as he said that he had heard the service was pretty cruddy, but he wanted to give it a good.

True enough, service was appauling. Despite booking we were not shown to a table, we had to literally grab somebody so we could order, starters came out 45 minutes later, luke warm and with items missing. Main courses took a further 1 hour, and again were luke warm (burnt in areas).

Before anybody starts with the "did you address your concerns" enquiries, we certainly did. The upshot was that we had free food and drinks. Downside was that the food wasn' really worth shouting about, and the diabolocal experience basically tarnished the experience that was celebrating my dad's retirement (he's 65 poor chap). Everyone in there seemed to be complaining.

There was barely any waitresses, not one plate of food from 6 was hot, or had all items on it as advertised in the menu. I know if I want haute cusine I should go to the Vineyard etc, but you do expect people to be able to deliver. The manager spoke to us and explained "I have no clue what's going on."

Don't Bother.

We used to go there on a regular basis before little one came along and apart from one occassion with a luke warm bowl of soup have always has an excellent meal. Last time we went was prob 5 months ago so it does seem like it has gone down hill which is a shame.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 15 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

Where is this place?

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 15 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

Depends how far you want to go. Maybe, TGI Friday, that is quite nice. Not going out to eat often, the most we do is order a Dominos maybe monthly.
I had Fish and Chips at the Bell at Boxford once. It was very nice, too.
The Swan, on the A4, long waits but was 7 out of 10.

That's about it.

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 15 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 15 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Depends how far you want to go. Maybe, TGI Friday, that is quite nice. Not going out to eat often, the most we do is order a Dominos maybe monthly.
I had Fish and Chips at the Bell at Boxford once. It was very nice, too.
The Swan, on the A4, long waits but was 7 out of 10.

That's about it.

The Bell at Boxford is lovely, and I like the Swan at Newtown too. My mum is the world's pickiest easter, it always makes family outings really hard work. She loves the stuff that was popular in the 70s- prawn cocktail and steak diane. Not my taste at all!

What about the Lord Lyon at Stockcross/woodspeen?

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 15 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ May 15 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Where is this place?

It's on the A4 from Newbury, as you head toward Theale. (Midgham).

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 15 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ May 15 2012, 04:27 PM) *
It's on the A4 from Newbury, as you head toward Theale. (Midgham).

Thanks. I've eaten at The Hatchet, Market Square a few times. It is not haute cuisine but the food was hot, freshly cooked and good value.

P.S.
I am not sure if this thread will be allowed to run seeing as NWN need advertising revenue from local pubs and restaurants!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 15 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Oh what a shame. I am sure your dad enjoyed it, but retirement is a special time and it puts a damper on the night. Used to go there for special evenings a while ago (sadly no special occassions recently) and it was always excellent. Went to Strada on Saturday evening - five of us all had starters, mains and a pud. With three bottles of wine and the tip was £200. Really good attentive service and the food was excellent.

+Quote Post
englishndproud
post May 15 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 965

Hi all,

Don't Bother.

i had a similar experience there and haven't been back since , the bladebone inn in bucklebury has recently been taken over and is very good now although i would ring up and book as it gets full quickly. also the red house just of the a4 is very good.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 15 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Free food?
Free drink?

Win-Win in my book. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 15 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Red House Marsh Benham is good.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 15 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The Six Bells at Beenham's very good, as is The Sun In The Wood if you want somewhere even more local without paying a fortune.

The Berkshire Arms has been pretty hit and miss for the past year or so. Nothing special, but when the service is slow it is really slow.

Has anyone been in The Winning Hand on the A4 near Beenham recently? Or The Spring Inn since it's been refurbished and got a coat of green paint? I don't want to go out of my way to eat there if it's not worth the effort....

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 15 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 15 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Red House Marsh Benham is good.

I would hope so at the prices they charge.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 15 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Isn't it just a place for 'reps' to stay the night?

Maybe it is the Cameo effect.....

+Quote Post
HJD
post May 15 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (englishndproud @ May 15 2012, 05:10 PM) *
the bladebone inn in bucklebury has recently been taken over and is very good now although i would ring up and book as it gets full quickly.

I agree the food is good there although i felt the service was slightly impersonable .
The White Horse at Hermitage is also worth a visit in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 15 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

The Berkshire Arms has always been terrible, I have given it numerous second chances and last went there in January. I have now decided that I will never go there again, I don't care whose birthday/anniversary/retirement it is! I quite like The Swan on the london road also, it is superb value.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 15 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

The Berkshire Arms has always been terrible, I have given it numerous second chances and last went there in January. I have now decided that I will never go there again, I don't care whose birthday/anniversary/retirement it is! I quite like The Swan on the london road also, it is superb value.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 15 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Star at Kingsclere has always done me well for food. Good 'first date' place too

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 15 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I like that place too, but the missus doesn't so I don't get to go there. I don't know what's wrong with her, it's lovely.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 16 2012, 03:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Darren @ May 15 2012, 10:17 PM) *
Star at Kingsclere has always done me well for food. Good 'first date' place too

Go there often?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:59 PM