IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lighting Centre Closing, Whatever is going to happen to Bartholomew Street?
Biker1
post Apr 19 2011, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

So another Bartholomew Street shop closes.
What is going to happen to this once vibrant street?

Already frequented by lowlife, will it degenerate even more when Parkway opens?

Can anything be done?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 19 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 19 2011, 08:49 AM) *
So another Bartholomew Street shop closes.
What is going to happen to this once vibrant street?

This end of town is being allowed to go down the toilet.
Already frequented by lowlife, will it degenerate even more when Parkway opens?

Yes.
Can anything be done?

Yes, but the authorities are choosing to deal with ASB problems after they happen rather than before and I guess this is all about available finance.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Apr 19 2011, 08:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Very simple.

Local people start shopping there again instead of out-of-town. Yes it will cost you more but you'll also get that warm feeing inside from helping.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 19 2011, 09:03 AM) *
Very simple.

Local people start shopping there again instead of out-of-town. Yes it will cost you more but you'll also get that warm feeing inside from helping.

No-one wants to shop in a place where you are constantly accosted by alcoholic drug riddled beggars asking you for cash. The Pound Street end of Bart Street is a truly awful place. It seems to have gone downhill since they opened up the drop in centre for alcoholics and drug addicts and thought it a good idea to house them all in the vicinity. Would not want the poor sods from having to walk too far. angry.gif
Still I expect the Chemists does a roaring trade in methadone. Probably the busiest shop in the area.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Apr 19 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Dunno. Lighting shops must be quite expensive to run....think of the electricity bill!

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 19 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 19 2011, 10:41 AM) *
No-one wants to shop in a place where you are constantly accosted by alcoholic drug riddled beggars asking you for cash.

They must come out and target you specifically then, because I often walk down there, have shopped in the lighting centre for hard-to-find bulbs etc., have bought Chinese takeaways, use one of the hairdressers in Pound Street and so on, and have never had a problem.

I just don't recognise your description of the part of town you so often go on about.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 19 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Sorry to hear that the Lighting Centre is going - one of the few quality shops left in town. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Apr 19 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 19 2011, 11:53 AM) *
They must come out and target you specifically then, because I often walk down there, have shopped in the lighting centre for hard-to-find bulbs etc., have bought Chinese takeaways, use one of the hairdressers in Pound Street and so on, and have never had a problem.

I just don't recognise your description of the part of town you so often go on about.

You should've gone to Specsavers then. Seriously that end of town is plagued by undesirables. I seem to find myself always saying "ah it's good to be home" when I come back from holiday and drive down Bart St, as every time I spot one of Newbury's finest.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 19 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Well, I'll keep an eye out then, as I'm about to pop down to get my hair cut. I might even take my Specsavers glasses wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 19 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 19 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Well, I'll keep an eye out then, as I'm about to pop down to get my hair cut. I might even take my Specsavers glasses wink.gif

I agree JeffG - I often walk down that end of town & used to live near & never saw any more ASB than anywhere else in town.

+Quote Post
Newbury76
post Apr 19 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,980

This is sad to see, I always went there and the service and products were brilliant, good old school customer service that lacks today in so many stores

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Apr 19 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

I agree with JeffG – and I do go to Specsavers!

The description of that area given by some doesn’t match any experience I’ve ever had there, or anywhere else in the town. Yes of course there are some “interesting characters” lurking around the town at times, but I’ve never been bothered by anyone and always felt comfortable and safe wherever I am, and whatever the time of day.

I’d rather live in a town with a little bit of diversity in its population as well as its shops – so a pretty poor excuse for not shopping at that end of the town

Is a shame to see the Lighting Centre go, and I'm sure there will be more to follow, but I think we're all a bit guilty when it comes to not supporting local retailers as well as we should.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Must be my imagination then......

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/yournh/y...-N199?id=170890

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 19 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 19 2011, 01:34 PM) *

A police priority eh, says it all.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 19 2011, 01:44 PM) *
A police priority eh, says it all.

I somtimes think that some of the people that post on here must see life through rose tinted spectacles. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 19 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury76 @ Apr 19 2011, 12:38 PM) *
This is sad to see, I always went there and the service and products were brilliant, good old school customer service that lacks today in so many stores

Yes, I agree but they certainly knew how to charge and with competition from B&Q and Homebase it was inevitable that they would struggle.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 19 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I'd just like to report that I am back home safe and sound after venturing down to Pound Street to get my hair cut, and then on to Hetherton's for a baguette for lunch. The only mild ASB I witnessed was 3 young kids having a whale of a time on a mobility scooter near the top of Argyle Road smile.gif

The Lighting Centre also have a lockup in Hampton Road, next to the Red House. I believe they do a lot of electrical work for special events etc. I don't know if that side of the business is closing down as well as the retail shop.

Edit: Ah - I have just found the original story here, where it says the electrical contracting and events side of the business will continue.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 19 2011, 02:03 PM) *
I'd just like to report that I am back home safe and sound after venturing down to Pound Street to get my hair cut, and then on to Hetherton's for a baguette for lunch. The only mild ASB I witnessed was 3 young kids having a whale of a time on a mobility scooter near the top of Argyle Road smile.gif

The Lighting Centre also have a lockup in Hampton Road, next to the Red House. I believe they do a lot of electrical work for special events etc. I don't know if that side of the business is closing down as well as the retail shop.

Edit: Ah - I have just found the original story here, where it says the electrical contracting and events side of the business will continue.

This Argyle Road...??

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=12827

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 19 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 19 2011, 02:26 PM) *
This Argyle Road...??

The key comment is by a resident in that article: "People cut through Argyle Road to get home after a night out and that’s when it all happens."

As I suspected it's mainly people from elsewhere passing through - probably the same drunks that go past my house at three in the morning on their way to wherever they live.

(This is getting a bit off topic now.)

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 19 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. I think its a problem. You don't. It's just perception. mellow.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:52 AM