Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cats to be sold at Pets at Home
Baffers100
post Apr 30 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,653

I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on new addition to Pets at Home, Newbury- the ability to be able to pop in and reserve a cat for next day collection.

I've not yet seen the store with this addition, but I don't think I really agree with cats being sold in pet shops, unless this is almost entirely seperate from the rest of the store. I'd hate to think you will get loads of screaming kids running past all the cats and poking their fingers through the cages and stressing them out. Seems almost a backward step to me.

I thought anybody serious about buying a cat would do to registered breeders, or the many other rescue centres available. Do we realy need this in pet shops?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J C
post Apr 30 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

I don't think any animals should be sold in pet shops full stop! People should not be able to buy an animal on a whim without fully understanding the animals needs and care.

There are rescues up and down the country who are overflowing with cats, dogs, rabbits and other animals because the owners didn't appreciate the ammount of time and effort that goes in to caring for a pet, worse still are the poor animals that are left neglected if they are not handed over to a rescue.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 30 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I agree that animals should not be sold in pet shops. I'd even go as far as suggesting that breeding should be stopped until the rescue centres are empty.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 30 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It isn't a 'cat shop', it is a joint venture between Pets At Home and Cats Protection and is a re-homing section.

"It is a very sad fact there are too many unwanted cats in the UK in need of homes. Cats Protection has thousands of cats currently in care so having a homing and information centre in a Pets at Home store will help to encourage more people to consider adopting a homeless cat. It will also enable us to further promote cat welfare and responsible cat ownership to the public. This follows in the footsteps of other animal welfare charities that already have homing centres in Pets at Home stores."

http://www.cats.org.uk/news/media-statemen...to-pets-at-home

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 30 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2014, 11:05 AM) *
It isn't a 'cat shop', it is a joint venture between Pets At Home and Cats Protection and is a re-homing section.

What a difference a bit of context makes. So the thread title is totally misleading.

+Quote Post
J C
post Apr 30 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I still think no pets should be sold there.

However, I do understand that it is a joint re-homing venture, but it is a shame that they don't think to care for the pets that they sell in the same way. The rabbits and guinea pigs are in glass pens in the middle of the store where dogs if not kept under proper control can get close up to the small animals causing them distress and fear. Childern can also if unsupervised can bang on the glass causing distress.

Pets at home also claim to have rabbits and guinea pigs in store that require adoption when in reality most of them when you read their bio's are pets that they haven't been able to sell and they need to make room in the other pens for the cuter smaller ones when they arrive.

I would prefer pets at home to spend their money on promoting animal welfare, owner education and supporting the many rescues out there that struggle financially under immense pressure due to the number of animals abandoned due to owners not understanding the commitment they undertake when taking on a pet.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 30 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Perhaps if there was more concern for our wildlife being needlessly killed by cats, there wouldn't be such a glut of the bloody things.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 30 2014, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I quite agree with J C. I'd like to see a conditional end to the pet owning industry.

+Quote Post
J C
post Apr 30 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

If adopting a cat directly from cats protection you always had to have a home visit from one of their workers to assess your home to ensure that the cat would be going to a suitable environment. I can not find any mention of if the same process will apply if re-homing a cat from a pets at home store other than you have to return the following day to collect the cat.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 30 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ Apr 30 2014, 11:54 AM) *
If adopting a cat directly from cats protection you always had to have a home visit from one of their workers to assess your home to ensure that the cat would be going to a suitable environment. I can not find any mention of if the same process will apply if re-homing a cat from a pets at home store other than you have to return the following day to collect the cat.

The link I posted said the following: "The welfare of cats will be safeguarded in the same way as that of the cats in our care across the UK and potential adopters will go through the same process as they would when adopting from any Cats Protection centre, ensuring people cannot buy a cat on impulse."

+Quote Post
motormad
post Apr 30 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

So what's the deal then....

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
J C
post Apr 30 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2014, 12:59 PM) *
The link I posted said the following: "The welfare of cats will be safeguarded in the same way as that of the cats in our care across the UK and potential adopters will go through the same process as they would when adopting from any Cats Protection centre, ensuring people cannot buy a cat on impulse."

Fair enough, but I am still sceptical as the inference from the NWN article is that you would be able to collect your chosen cat the following day which I doubt would be enough time to arrange the visit. Arguably I would say being able to collect the following day is still an impulse buy.

Personally I still think this is a major step backwards when it comes to pet ownership. Owning a pet is a massive commitment and one which should not be undertaken lightly. Being in partnership with Cats Protection is a good thing, but I fear that it brings the ability to buy cats and dogs from pet shops a step closer again. I would rather it go in the opposite direction and there being no pets being sold in pet shops.

+Quote Post
nerc
post Apr 30 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 30 2014, 10:47 AM) *
Perhaps if there was more concern for our wildlife being needlessly killed by cats, there wouldn't be such a glut of the bloody things.

What wildlife do cats kill, other than a few mice or birds.

Humans probably kill more by going out killing rats etc (like you have admitted to in previous statements.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Apr 30 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

You don't own a cat, it owns you.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 30 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Apr 30 2014, 01:21 PM) *

Humans probably kill more by going out killing rats etc (like you have admitted to in previous statements.

Exactly this. Humans are far more dangerous to wildlife than cats. Perhaps x2lls should be more concerned about what goes on in Malta, with the hunting of migrating birds returning to raise the next batch of young. Or more likely, not returning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27177582

+Quote Post
motormad
post Apr 30 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Can we not go off topic please.

Here are our cats/kittens. We took the Mum on as a feral/stray who came to us for food. She was pregnant and in a right state, obviously abandoned or never house-trained or kept, so we've now adopted her and she recently gave birth to 3 very healthy kittens, Molly, Bailey and Jasper. they're very happy and she prances around the house like she owns the place.

Even getting on fairly well with the dog laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 30 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Apr 30 2014, 01:21 PM) *

That is quite a naive attitude if I may say so, which proves my point.

It definately is NOT just a 'few' as you say, mice and birds, it runs to a very high number indeed. I suggest you do some homework.
Amphibians, nest destruction, crapping and pissing too to name just a couple more.
As far as rats are concerned, yes, I do shoot rats, humanely. The word 'admit' indicates guilt or criminal activity, which is not the case. Besides I was responding to a question regarding the issue of infestation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 30 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 30 2014, 03:23 PM) *
Exactly this. Humans are far more dangerous to wildlife than cats. Perhaps x2lls should be more concerned about what goes on in Malta, with the hunting of migrating birds returning to raise the next batch of young. Or more likely, not returning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27177582

You make a good point, but it's not a case of being 'more' concerned, it should be treated equally.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Apr 30 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

Those we're my thoughts really. I think it just encourages you to make a whimsical purchase of something that's a huge commitment. I'm all for rescuing animals (I have a rescue dog myself), but I don't like the association of rehoming an animal with a pet shop.

Jeff- Apologies if you found the title misleading- the news article is on the NWN page so I assumed you were familiar with this!

I'm just glad that they're not going to be put in the middle of the shop to be tormented by dogs and children like the other pets there.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Apr 30 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ Apr 30 2014, 08:57 AM) *
... but I don't think I really agree with cats being sold in pet shops, .....

Better than the Chinese Takeaway surely tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:31 AM