Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NWN: bus hits kid.
GMR
post Jul 7 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Reading today's NWN (7 July) I wasn't surprised to read that a bus hit a kid. I've seen quite a few near misses in Northbrook street; buses/ pedestrians. In fact i reported it a few years ago - on this forum - but nothing was done. You can't mix pedestrians and buses as it will lead to a serious accident. The same applies to cycles and cycle paths. Cycles should be on cycle lanes and pedestrians should be on footpaths. I doubt any lessons will be learnt and I expect to read about another incident; I just hope it isn't fatal.

Some of those bus drivers - the way they drive - think they own the road.

As for 'calling for 5mph speed limit'; that won't work either and won't stop another person being hit. You need to remove buses altogether from Northbook street or forbid people walking on the roads... or using it as a footpath.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 7 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2011, 05:16 PM) *
Reading today's NWN (6 July) I wasn't surprised to read that a bus hit a kid. I've seen quite a few near misses in Northbrook street; buses/ pedestrians. In fact i reported it a few years ago - on this forum - but nothing was done. You can't mix pedestrians and buses as it will lead to a serious accident. The same applies to cycles and cycle paths. Cycles should be on cycle lanes and pedestrians should be on footpaths. I doubt any lessons will be learnt and I expect to read about another incident; I just hope it isn't fatal.

Some of those bus drivers - the way they drive - think they own the road.

As for 'calling for 5mph speed limit'; that won't work either and won't stop another person being hit. You need to remove buses altogether from Northbook street or forbid people walking on the roads... or using it as a footpath.

Today, 6 July? Hmmmm..... Groundhog?

So we know how the collision happened, do we? Not that I disagree mixing traffic and pedestrians is not the best idea a Highways Engineer ever had.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 7 2011, 05:23 PM) *
Today, 6 July? Hmmmm..... Groundhog?

It says the seventh, mainly because I changed it wink.gif

So we know how the collision happened, do we? Not that I disagree mixing traffic and pedestrians is not the best idea a Highways Engineer ever had.

It doesn't matter how it happened, it happened. And if you didn't mix buses and pedestrians then it wouldn't have happened. Simples!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 7 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2011, 05:28 PM) *
It doesn't matter how it happened, it happened. And if you didn't mix buses and pedestrians then it wouldn't have happened. Simples!

For one mad moment I thought that was what I said.......

But still best to know what happened, as people get knocked over by traffic by stepping in the road too..... People going into traffic lanes is as bad as putting traffic into pedestrian areas, especially as the former traffic flow tends to be a lot faster moving.....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 7 2011, 05:33 PM) *
For one mad moment I thought that was what I said.......

I was clarifying wink.gif

But still best to know what happened, as people get knocked over by traffic by stepping in the road too..... People going into traffic lanes is as bad as putting traffic into pedestrian areas, especially as the former traffic flow tends to be a lot faster moving.....

Agreed.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 7 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Phew..... ! rolleyes.gif

'Accident waiting to happen' has at last 'happened'.... Thank Gawd for that. Now we can all get on with concentrating and fretting over another road that will be the target for hand-wringers and sooth-sayers ready to come forward and declare "I TOLD you that would happen didn't I!!" after some plonker with headphones get clipped by vehicle after stepping out into the road.. Well done GMR

Personally I'm waiting for the big one.... I mean - a 'double-decker' aeroplane that can take up to 850 passengers!!? It's a recipe for disaster and no mistake..... And let me tell you, when an accident should happen - and it will - I'll hope you will all remember that I told you so....

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 7 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 7 2011, 07:44 PM) *
Phew..... ! rolleyes.gif

'Accident waiting to happen' has at last 'happened'.... Thank Gawd for that. Now we can all get on with concentrating and fretting over another road that will be the target for hand-wringers and sooth-sayers ready to come forward and declare "I TOLD you that would happen didn't I!!" after some plonker with headphones get clipped by vehicle after stepping out into the road.. Well done GMR

Personally I'm waiting for the big one.... I mean - a 'double-decker' aeroplane that can take up to 850 passengers!!? It's a recipe for disaster and no mistake..... And let me tell you, when an accident should happen - and it will - I'll hope you will all remember that I told you so....

You can't mix pedestrians and buses apparently, it's an accident waiting to happen. I'm not sure how people are supposed to get to the buses if they can't walk to them, but never mind.

You're right about 'double-decker' planes over Newbury too. Another accident waiting to happen. Why aren't the Town Council and the Police doing more to prevent it by limiting planes to 5mph when travelling through Newbury air-space?

Won't someone think of the children?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 7 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 7 2011, 07:53 PM) *
You can't mix pedestrians and buses apparently, it's an accident waiting to happen. I'm not sure how people are supposed to get to the buses if they can't walk to them, but never mind.

You're right about 'double-decker' planes over Newbury too. Another accident waiting to happen. Why aren't the Town Council and the Police doing more to prevent it by limiting planes to 5mph when travelling through Newbury air-space?

You just wait until they build the new airport in Newbury! They will need these double decker planes to bring in all the new visitors to Park Way and the New Pavillion Pidgeon Loft. wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 7 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

in my experience the majority of thses "near misses" are down to people walking along with earphones on, blasting away with some might class as music/noise*. Then crossing the road without so much as a glance.

This doesn't just apply to Northbrook St, but any road. Perhaps a few more getting knocked down will get some common sense into them.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 7 2011, 07:44 PM) *
Phew..... ! rolleyes.gif

It doesn't matter whether some "blonker' stepped out in the 'road'.... and how could he step out when the road was a 'pedestrian walk-road'? If you allow pedestrians to walk on the road freely then the bus driver should have be aware... he wasn't and he was at fault.

Your sarcasm doesn't change what I said. It has been reported quite a lot that it was an 'accident waiting to happen'.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 7 2011, 07:53 PM) *

user23, try using your intelligence. People get on the buses from the pavement.... and Northbrook street is a street that is used by cyclists, buses and pedestrians.

Your comments only show you up for what you are.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Jul 7 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Aircraft full of people are accidents just waiting to happen. They shouldn't be allowed to mix.

And these bus incidents, are not 'near misses'. Think about it, if something nearly misses something it must have hit it.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 7 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Jul 7 2011, 09:51 PM) *
Aircraft full of people are accidents just waiting to happen. They shouldn't be allowed to mix.

And these bus incidents, are not 'near misses'. Think about it, if something nearly misses something it must have hit it.
I depends what they were trying to miss.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

I agree with GMR that it was an accident waiting to happen. I have personally witnessed near misses by buses on pedestrians. They should never have allowed both parties to inhabit the same space.

This could have been an very good and enlightening debate if it was not for the juvenile delinquents on here throwing their rattles out of their pram for attention. It is a problem and a serious one. Unless something is done to curb bus drivers attitude that they have a god given right to be Gods amongst the fish more accidents will happen. My boyfriend was nearly hit by a bus in Northbrook Street last year. It is not a laughing matter.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 9 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 11:35 AM) *
I agree with GMR that it was an accident waiting to happen. I have personally witnessed near misses by buses on pedestrians. They should never have allowed both parties to inhabit the same space.
The inevitable conclusion to your suggestion that buses and people shouldn't be able to inhabit the same space is that people should be banned from crossing the road.

This seems somewhat of an over reaction to me.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 9 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Well they've got to let pedestrians in coz it's a 'Pedestrian Zone'

oh.... you mean the buses don't you.... wink.gif

This could have been an very good and enlightening debate if it was not for the juvenile delinquents on here throwing their rattles out of their pram for attention..........
I assume I'm the juvenile delinquent? As an over 50 I don't know whether to be flattered or confused laugh.gif

............ It is not a laughing matter.
oh I dunno... with my infantile brain cells I find just about anything to be a laughing matter

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 12:00 PM) *
The inevitable conclusion to your suggestion that buses and people shouldn't be able to inhabit the same space is that people should be banned from crossing the road.

This seems somewhat of an over reaction to me.

This is not what I am saying, nor do I believe it was what the original creator of this thread was saying. Of course people will cross the road... and they should do it with care. But when that road has been changed to a pedestrian road - as Northbrook street has - then it is the duty of the buses or any other vehicle driver to take that little bit more care. In fact most areas that had a bus and predestrian area found out that that does not work and have stopped that situation. That is also why WBC are changing Northbrook Street to a pedestrian only road in October. Because of the fear of accidents.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jul 9 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 9 2011, 01:05 PM) *
Well they've got to let pedestrians in coz it's a 'Pedestrian Zone'

oh.... you mean the buses don't you.... wink.gif

I assume I'm the juvenile delinquent? As an over 50 I don't know whether to be flattered or confused laugh.gif

oh I dunno... with my infantile brain cells I find just about anything to be a laughing matter

But you would. As you say "with [your] infantile brain". Could we expect anything more than a 50 something with an "infantile brain"? wink.gif To be fair forums do attract all sorts and a free forum must mean "The good, the bad and the ugly".

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 9 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 9 2011, 02:49 PM) *
This is not what I am saying, nor do I believe it was what the original creator of this thread was saying. Of course people will cross the road... and they should do it with care. But when that road has been changed to a pedestrian road - as Northbrook street has - then it is the duty of the buses or any other vehicle driver to take that little bit more care. In fact most areas that had a bus and predestrian area found out that that does not work and have stopped that situation. That is also why WBC are changing Northbrook Street to a pedestrian only road in October. Because of the fear of accidents.
The incident happened between someone crossing the road who it seems wasn't looking where they were going and a bus. The pedestrian walked off unharmed but someone on the bus had to be treated for injuries when the bus took evasive action. In my view it's not the buses that need to take more care but the pedestrians.

I thought WBC are changing Northbrook Street to a pedestrian only road in October to coincide with the opening of Parkway.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 9 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 9 2011, 03:10 PM) *
The incident happened between someone crossing the road who it seems wasn't looking where they were going and a bus. The pedestrian walked off unharmed but someone on the bus had to be treated for injuries when the bus took evasive action. In my view it's not the buses that need to take more care but the pedestrians.

I thought WBC are changing Northbrook Street to a pedestrian only road in October to coincide with the opening of Parkway.

To try and make Park Way look busy rolleyes.gif ....?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:18 PM