Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road fund licence
bonnie
post Jun 9 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Hi I may be treading on some toes here,but ,whilst in the Retail Park yesterday,between Homebase &
Instore I saw two cars,both displaying out of date tax discs,1 of which was a 2010 reg Audi.
I would have thought that being able to renew online now there should be no excuse.
I didn't take the numbers as I had nothing to write with,& the grey cells aren't what they used to be wacko.gif Would anyone have bothered to take it further?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (bonnie @ Jun 9 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Hi I may be treading on some toes here,but ,whilst in the Retail Park yesterday,between Homebase &
Instore I saw two cars,both displaying out of date tax discs,1 of which was a 2010 reg Audi.
I would have thought that being able to renew online now there should be no excuse.
I didn't take the numbers as I had nothing to write with,& the grey cells aren't what they used to be wacko.gif Would anyone have bothered to take it further?

The DVLA do patrol some car parks and if they find an untaxed vehicle they clamp it.
Not sure what happens then. Presume you have to pay a fine and recovery fee plus the unpaid licence fee?
If you want to take it further you can do it here.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Probably not,Bonnie. But as Biker1 mentions they do try.
Chicanes and ANPR has meant a fair number of cars crushed and other crimes sorted.
Each time an arrest is made a DNA sample is taken and a crime some 30 years ago is solved.

Keep a pen in the car.
ce

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 9 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (bonnie @ Jun 9 2012, 12:25 PM) *

I think you should mind your own business! What difference does it make it to you? They may well have been taxed on line and not yet recieved the discs, it could be a genuine oversight or perhaps the vehicles had just been purchased and were on their way home? I know the law is to display it, but does something so trivial really require your intervention? I can kind of see why you might raise an eyebrow, benefit fraud really annoys me and I guess this could be considered similar, but to answer your question, no I would not take it further.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 9 2012, 12:57 PM) *
I think you should mind your own business! What difference does it make it to you? They may well have been taxed on line and not yet recieved the discs, it could be a genuine oversight or perhaps the vehicles had just been purchased and were on their way home? I know the law is to display it, but does something so trivial really require your intervention? I can kind of see why you might raise an eyebrow, benefit fraud really annoys me and I guess this could be considered similar, but to answer your question, no I would not take it further.

The difference it can make is that often untaxed vehicles are uninsured and have no MOT which is a problem if they hit you.
If the tax is only a few days out of date then, yes, I agree with you but if it is well out of date then there is usually an underlying issue.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I would have done nothing. The spiteful amongst us might though. What is this Nazi Germany: a Rule Britannia indeed! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 9 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:03 PM) *
The difference it can make is that often untaxed vehicles are uninsured and have no MOT which is a problem if they hit you.
If the tax is only a few days out of date then, yes, I agree with you but if it is well out of date then there is usually an underlying issue.

IF they are uninsured then I agree that would be a problem, but how do you know that, it's a bit like seeing a car with a bulb out and calling the fuzz, totally unnecessary. Uninsured drivers have increased I think that can be taken as fact, but I don't think snooping around will solve the problem though.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2012, 01:04 PM) *
The spiteful amongst us might though. What is this Nazi Germany:

laugh.gif
To be honest I would probably do nothing also.
I don't even bother to look at people's tax discs.
Up to the authorities I think?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 9 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

If people are deliberately not taxing their vehicles then it's possible they don't have insurance either, which is much more serious. Either way, if people are evading tax in this way, then that's more that the rest of us have to pay.

As for not having received the discs yet, it depends how much out of date the existing ones were. Mine came through in a couple of days. If it was more than a couple of months out of date, then yes, I would probably report it. But then again, I probably wouldn't get round to it. smile.gif

Edit: I didn't see Biker1's post before posting this, which makes much the same points.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I thought all registered users were given automatic fines for not displaying a tax disc on time.

And I thought CEOs were given authority to report street parked cars with out of date discs.
That might just be Police and CPSOs. Abroad you have to display an insurance disc as well.
Of course you can knock them up on an Epson. (Not the CEOs I hasten to add)
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I agree with everyone, although I have been late with tax before, but I always have had insurance. I wish tax was monthly by DD.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 9 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

I recently dealt with the affairs of someone who died. The car could not be sold or taxed until probate had been done. Despite numerous telephone calls to the DVLA, reminders kept appearing about taxation. It was 6 months before they slapped a fine on (removed on appeal). I think this quite lenient.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Call me old fashioned but I do go to the local Post Office and join the merry throng.
I like to have the disc before due date.
I did get a Police caution on March 1st once for not displaying the disc on a courtesy car.

It had been bought but I had not received it. An ANPR on Tower Bridge. That is a bit of a chicane for you.
BMWX5 with pimped up black windows.... not my style. More humiliating was the crowd watching.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

That sounds like a sensible clerk at the DVLA,Jayjay.
There do seem to be issues, so a blanket fine is not always the best.
Maybe the threat to fine with a lenient approach is best for most.
ce

+Quote Post
Gooner72
post Jun 9 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,038

At the moment the Police issue a £60 non endorsable fixed penalty notice for failing to display a valid tax disc. Hampshire Police have the power to seize vehicles that are displaying tax discs that are out of date, I believe this may be coming to Thames Valley Police soon.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Hi Gooner72. You sound to know a bit.What does a Caution imply?
Do they ever get erased? It is some years ago now. I am always cynical about such things.

I think the leasing company got a stiff letter. My fault for not displaying.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gooner72 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:51 PM) *
At the moment the Police issue a £60 non endorsable fixed penalty notice for failing to display a valid tax disc. Hampshire Police have the power to seize vehicles that are displaying tax discs that are out of date, I believe this may be coming to Thames Valley Police soon.

That sounds about right form our Gestapo. £60.00 for a victimless crime. I wonder sometimes who won the war. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 9 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Just a thought. If all the drivers who should but don't purchase/display vehicle tax, did so, would we get our potholes filled in?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 9 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Doubt it Jayjay. And they would still go off into a ditch in Fenlands. No potholes were involved.
But there was a tarmac co. Featured recently.Care in the community springs to mind.
Maybe they could help. Perhaps I was harsh. People should be carefull,ce

+Quote Post
Gooner72
post Jun 9 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,038

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2012, 02:20 PM) *
That sounds about right form our Gestapo. £60.00 for a victimless crime. I wonder sometimes who won the war. rolleyes.gif

I think £60 is plenty fair enough, I along with the vast majority of people pay for their tax, why should those that are too lazy or cannot be bothered to renew it be allowed to get away with it?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:02 AM