> English Memory, Remembering Names
Nothing Much
post Mar 15 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,171

What is the problem with us .

Remembering the names of people we had spent a convivial afternoon with.
I have just had a long chat with a female and a child in a buggy. She knew me.
It was a pavement chat. I hasten to add xjay.
No idea who she was. I know my cat's name at least.

But others seem to remember names at once.
Australians, Americans,French.

Or is it that age is catching up...( What's that dear?)
Speaking of Watts. Not bad for 70.
ce
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Mar 15 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

Senior Moments are merely an indication that one is both wise and educated enough not to have to remember every detail. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 15 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

That will do nicely for tonight. Vodabury.
But it is still a thought that others remember us
better than we remember them. It has to be an English thing.
ce.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 15 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Guests

What me? ohmy.gif
If you're anything like me with names, people go "jamie this is <name>" and I go "hi name" and shake their hand, hug or hump their leg depending on their personality.
But the problem is I instantly forget their name about 5 minutes later. It takes 2 or 3 times of going "awfully sorry I forgot your name" to actually get their name....
If you are 70 then by jove well done because you are quite possibly the funkiest old person in the world, I find you very interesting and enjoy your posts and ramblings - plus the old war stories you emailed me a while ago are proudly bookmarked in my inbox as they are a great read! Plus you have a great sense of humour and I recall you mentioning a Corrado with a big engine. You're the the best sounding Grandad on the internet.

Although how old was this child you were talking to? being in a buggy indicates they are normally of an age where "GOO GOO", "GAA GAA" and "EHAJJAJJMFLKKKKK" are their normal vocabulary.

I hate talking to children anyway.

On my car I have a few stickers. One of them is known as the "pedo bear". (internet joke and inside joke between my friends it's a long story)
anyway I was washing my car and some kids came up they were about 8 and asked me "what sticker is that, is it a bear?" -yes it's a bear..."what kind of bear is it?" uhm...pedo bear?

Anyway I posted up the event on my blog if anyone wants a read. That's genuinly a true story, I posted that up on Aug 24th, 2011 11:13pm apparently.
My how time flies.

At which point the scallywags went away and left me alone..probably something I could have gotten arrested for but I didn't know what else to say.

Children between 4 and 13 I find hardest to talk to. When they turn 14 they usually say "the **** you looking at blud" and walk away. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Mar 16 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Sadly xjay, the funkiest Grandad is Charlie Watts. Of the ancient Rollright Stones.
@70, voted best dressed old git/drummer. The Corrado is off road. My son's pride and joy.
When I enter the eco-friendly cardboard box it might get restored.

I am gearing up for a 62nd year on the planet this summer. Never expected to get this far.
The nearest I am to being a Grandad is daughter's wedding in October. I will not wear a kilt.
She wants a horse first though.

Amazing what you can find in old records at the archives.What I had been looking for turned out to be really
boring.( For others ..North Africa Radio Interception and Code Breakers.)
Mostly the records of the unit in the hills above the battle lines listed locals nicking the telephone wires.
I wonder where they got that idea from.
ce

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:34 AM