Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Flooding Survey
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Mar 30 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 303

Following requests from residents and businesses affected by the flooding in Victoria and Clay Hill Wards in Newbury, the Town Council arranged a community meeting at the Riverside Community Centre, Rosemore Gardens on Saturday 29th March, 2014, between 1300-1500hrs.

Thanks goes to the Clay Hill Residents Association for hosting the event.

The meeting was an opportunity for the affected residents to put their concerns with regard to the recent flooding to their Town and District Councillors, plus Stuart Clark, Principal Engineer at West Berkshire Council so that they can be gathered together and presented to the relevant authorities.

If you were unable to attend or were not aware of the meeting you still have an opportunity to express your concerns by filling out the attached short survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NewburyFlooding2014

I would urge all concerned residents and businesses who were affected by the floods to complete the survey for you will have an opportunity to influence the future planning of the Councils plus the other statutory agencies that were involved.

Cllr Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 30 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I just don't get why they were let off their council tax that month.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 30 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 30 2014, 03:06 PM) *

I don't know the source of your information, but everyone has a two-month holiday from council tax. (I can't remember which two months though: Jan/Feb or Feb/Mar?)

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 30 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 30 2014, 03:06 PM) *

Yes you do; it's called gesture politics!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 30 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 30 2014, 04:27 PM) *
I don't know the source of your information, but everyone has a two-month holiday from council tax. (I can't remember which two months though: Jan/Feb or Feb/Mar?)

Jeff, the 'payment holiday' is simply because the Councils divide the Community Charge into 10 rather than 12 instalments, if you want to pay monthly. So it's not really 'free' months. I think the reason it's done that way is because the Council staff find dividing by any other number too difficult. laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 30 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 30 2014, 04:27 PM) *

http://www.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=29215

This is a separate thing, a one off relief of payment, as opposed to a payment plan.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 30 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thanks for the link. It seems reasonable to me that if people are forced to vacate their homes due to flooding that they should not have to pay council tax.

I found the relevant section from the government web site concerning empty properties:

Empty properties

You’ll have to pay Council Tax on an empty and unfurnished home, but you may qualify for a discount. It’s up to your council to decide whether you get a discount and how much you get.

If the owner of a house has died, Council Tax isn’t charged for up to 6 months after probate is granted (your legal right to sell the home).

Some homes don’t get a Council Tax bill for as long as they stay empty. They include homes:

of someone in prison (except for not paying a fine or Council Tax)
of someone who’s moved into a care home or hospital
that have been repossessed
that cannot be lived in by law
that are empty because they’ve been compulsory purchased and will be demolished
You may get a discount if your home is undergoing major repair work or structural changes (eg your walls are being rebuilt).

I am quite happy for these people to get a rebate. I wouldn't want to go through what they have.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 30 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 30 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Thanks for the link. It seems reasonable to me that if people are forced to vacate their homes due to flooding that they should not have to pay council tax.

I found the relevant section from the government web site concerning empty properties:

I am quite happy for these people to get a rebate. I wouldn't want to go through what they have.

Then should we do the same, where people have moved out for any other reason, partial fire, storm damage, vandalism etc? Or indeed for floods in other years to come? If so, we'll need to change the regulations, rather than just make a gesture.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 30 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I went to Yorkshire for a week with the mother in law recently, should it get a rebate? Spending a week with her, I should get a flipping medal!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 31 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 30 2014, 08:12 PM) *
Then should we do the same, where people have moved out for any other reason, partial fire, storm damage, vandalism etc? Or indeed for floods in other years to come? If so, we'll need to change the regulations, rather than just make a gesture.

I think that's covered by the last line in what I quoted - i.e. council discretion.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 31 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 31 2014, 12:32 PM) *
I think that's covered by the last line in what I quoted - i.e. council discretion.

In that case, as far as I'm concerned, the answer should be no. Indeed, I can't see why it was done this time - apart from the present day politicians fettish for playing to the gallery.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 31 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 31 2014, 12:19 PM) *
In that case, as far as I'm concerned, the answer should be no. Indeed, I can't see why it was done this time - apart from the present day politicians fettish for playing to the gallery.

I think if someone's been flooded in the kind of weather that we've had this winter then a holiday from their council tax is a kind and reasonable gesture - a gesture maybe, but still kind and reasonable. Spot-on WBC.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Apr 1 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

Dear Forum Members,

Is there any chance that we could get back on track please explicitly about the 'Flooding' so that we can assess the effectiveness of the statutory agencies and hopefully learn from the lessons that the flooding have provided us?

Regarding the remuneration that has been highlighted, I would tend to agree with Simon on this matter that is was a "kind and reasonable gesture".

I would encourage as many people as possible to compete the survey is they were either directly affected or have some thoughts/views that will prove to be beneficial for those who suffered from such things as sewage, ground water and flooded/burst river banks, etc.

As always your opinions are really appreciated.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:19 PM