Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Margaret Thatcher Day
Simon Kirby
post Feb 28 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Having it's second reading in the Commons today, a bill to call the late August bank holiday "Margaret Thatcher Day".

I can understand that admirers of the late prime minister, her policies, achievements, and attitudes, may want to celebrate the lady's legacy by naming the holiday in her honour, but I don't agree that it's appropriate.

It's un-English. We as a nation are typically self-deprecating and modest and we don't ordinarily go in for this kind of hero worship. Naming a bank holiday after the Tory politician would put her in company with Jesus as the only other individual to have a holiday named after them, and even to her staunchest advocates I would hope that comparison was an accolade too far. It's something they go in for a bit in the United States with days for Christopher Columbus, Martin Luther King and George Washington, but I don't see that as a good precedent.

It's also divisive. She was undeniably a remarkable individual and no one would deny that, and very many hail her as a national saviour, but she was also the most divisive prime minister we've ever had and very many see her as the embodiment of the most hateful Tory class oppression and injustice, and naming a public holiday in her honour rubs the noses of half the country in the sh1t.

To name the holiday in her honour would be triumphalist and would do nothing but stoke division.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 28 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I'm certainly not convinced about a day either. We could do something far more permanent such as renaming Thatcham, Thatcher. Only a few letters different, so very cheap to implement.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 28 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 28 2014, 12:33 PM) *
I'm certainly not convinced about a day either. We could do something far more permanent such as renaming Thatcham, Thatcher. Only a few letters different, so very cheap to implement.

It could twin with Margate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 28 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 28 2014, 12:33 PM) *

Thatcham Broadway - Mathew 7:13. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 28 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 28 2014, 12:23 PM) *
. Naming a bank holiday after the Tory politician would put her in company with Jesus as the only other individual to have a holiday named after them

At least Thatcher was a real person...

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 28 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 28 2014, 02:42 PM) *
At least Thatcher was a real person...

Of course she was...

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 28 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Anyway, all these crocodile tears from the Tories wanting to 'honour' her. They didn't listen to the likes of us who wanted her stuffed and put into a museum when she was actually in office! Yes, you are partly right with the analogy MM - but she was betrayed by all her disciples, not just one.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 28 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 28 2014, 03:49 PM) *
Anyway, all these crocodile tears from the Tories wanting to 'honour' her. They didn't listen to the likes of us who wanted her stuffed and put into a museum when she was actually in office! Yes, you are partly right with the analogy MM - but she was betrayed by all her disciples, not just one.

After the way the banks treated us, I wonder if they should officially be renamed 'public holidays'.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 28 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Thatcher Day is a ridiculous idea. She did a remarkable job of becoming Prime Minister, but save for breaking the grip of the unions, she didn't do much good when she got there.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 28 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I'd much rather we celebrated Dennis Thatcher Day - G&Ts all round!!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 28 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

But anyways.. it's a Private Members Bill from a Conservative MP of the Continuity Loony Right. We might as well be discussing 25th December becoming Gerry Adams Day. It's a childish act of provocation and just proves that some MPs have little to do other than fill their time with nonsense in Parliamentary hours....

tbh I'm more surprised that no MP has (yet) proposed a 'Mandela Day'.... Whatever the private feelings might be there wouldn't be a single public figure that would dare oppose it.

The current discussion on the other hand has upset the usual bunch of soap dodgers and malcontents which is a bonus. There's even petitions against it. Imagine the rage as all these unwashed types huddle round their poverty laptops and taxpayer funded broadband frothing at the mouth filling in their petitions.

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Feb 28 2014, 08:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

Having it's second reading in the Commons today, [url="http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/margaretthatcherday.html"]a bill to call the late August bank holiday "Margaret Thatcher Day"

To name the holiday in her honour would be triumphalist and would do nothing but stoke division.

I couldn't agree more. And haven't the MP's who are proposing it got anything better to debate? Or work to do in their constituencies? Good to see that RB isn't one of the sponsors.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 28 2014, 08:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 28 2014, 07:01 PM) *
Thatcher Day is a ridiculous idea. She did a remarkable job of becoming Prime Minister, but save for breaking the grip of the unions, she didn't do much good when she got there.

When you point out the fact Mrs. T closed fewer coal mines than her predecessors in the Labour party, you are indeed in league with the devil.
Harold Wilson was a man from the North and was Labour, hence his closures were a painful necessity.
Mrs. T was a woman (pah) from the South (toff) and was Tory (puke), hence the closures were just vindictive.

Many people won't engage in political debate, but simply regurgitate propaganda, and would've hated Maggie even if she'd found a cure for cancer.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 28 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

I am sure that the left wingers would feel so appalled that they would forego their days holiday and go to work for no pay in protest! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 28 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 28 2014, 08:21 PM) *
When you point out the fact Mrs. T closed fewer coal mines than her predecessors in the Labour party, you are indeed in league with the devil.
Harold Wilson was a man from the North and was Labour, hence his closures were a painful necessity.
Mrs. T was a woman (pah) from the South (toff) and was Tory (puke), hence the closures were just vindictive.

Many people won't engage in political debate, but simply regurgitate propaganda, and would've hated Maggie even if she'd found a cure for cancer.

Yes, Mrs T was a remarkable PM. Shame she was stabbed in the back by the very MPs who think she should be deified now. Regrettably, she fell into the trap many leaders fall into. That is surrounding herself with useful idiots and failing to ensure a sustainable succession. That lead to the nuclear disaster of John Major's government.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 28 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 28 2014, 09:41 PM) *
Yes, Mrs T was a remarkable PM. Shame she was stabbed in the back by the very MPs who think she should be deified now. Regrettably, she fell into the trap many leaders fall into. That is surrounding herself with useful idiots and failing to ensure a sustainable succession. That lead to the nuclear disaster of John Major's government.

She might have been stabbed in the back, but rightly or wrongly, the poll tax did for her. Many families, mainly low paid left and right wing, saw their household bills go through the roof, and when you upset everyone, you are politically in trouble. I think she become an anachronism and I also have a hunch she started to go round the bend.

She was needed to realign the country, there is no doubt about that, but some of the things we might consider 'great' are now actually coming home to roost. Home ownership, deregulation in shares and borrowing, rail privatisation, etc.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 1 2014, 07:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 28 2014, 10:21 PM) *
She might have been stabbed in the back, but rightly or wrongly, the poll tax did for her. Many families, mainly low paid left and right wing, saw their household bills go through the roof, and when you upset everyone, you are politically in trouble. I think she become an anachronism and I also have a hunch she started to go round the bend.

She was needed to realign the country, there is no doubt about that, but some of the things we might consider 'great; are now actually coming home to roost. Home ownership, deregulation in shares and borrowing, rail privatisation, etc.

Quite so, and therefore just like any other Politician, feet of clay. Certainly not justifying any 'special day'!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 1 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 28 2014, 09:09 PM) *
I am sure that the left wingers would feel so appalled that they would forego their days holiday and go to work for no pay in protest! unsure.gif

I'm sure you wouldn't need to be a left-winger to do that. Just not a right-winger. Let's have a Genghis Khan day while we're at it.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 1 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 1 2014, 09:40 AM) *
I'm sure you wouldn't need to be a left-winger to do that. Just not a right-winger. Let's have a Genghis Khan day while we're at it.

I meant that I bet they would still take the day off whoever it was in remembrance for!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:15 PM