IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Loud Bang - 27th Dec @ around 13:20?, Did you hear it?
Iommi
post Dec 30 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (wabbit @ Dec 30 2009, 03:10 PM) *
If this 'explosion' did emanate from Welford, I think we should be told and re-assured about safety, both from the ammunition itself and any possible terrorist threats.

Hear, hear.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
regor
post Dec 30 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Regarding the MoD denial of knowledge - perhaps we should remember the old maxim "Believe nothing until it is officially denied"

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Dec 30 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

If this 'explosion' did emanate from Welford, I think we should be told and re-assured about safety, both from the ammunition itself and any possible terrorist threats.

A very valid point.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 30 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Since the contents of the base (one of the largest munition stores in Europe) are considered so sensitive as to fall under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (2005), I am disturbed to realise that I (and probably most other residents of West Berks) knew nothing about the presence of this on our doorstep, nor of the downgraded level of security which has been agreed to.

Its not exactly hidden - and the change in the security made the news at the time.

+Quote Post
hamster
post Dec 30 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 139

I heard it in Hermitage, I assumed it was thunder until I read it on here but I did think it strange to have on blast of thunder when the weather was okay.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Dec 31 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 30 2009, 05:15 PM) *
Its not exactly hidden - and the change in the security made the news at the time.

Must have gone under my own 'radar' but you are right to say that it is no secret - a few searches on Google threw up considerable information on Welford. Worryingly, it also included a forum for (US) servicemen where the precise nature of the ammunition stored there was openly discussed before the thread was 'hijacked' by an Islamic guy threatening 'death to infidels' etc...

So, I accept I should have known more about Welford but now that I do, I would still like some re-assurance about the 'explosion' and also the current level of security. After all the years of protest about cruise missiles at Greenham Common, it seems slightly odd that little is made of the strategic importance of this major 'facility' in our area and the implications of it (even in regard to supplying arms to troops in Afghanistan).

My ignorance may not be shared, but I feel my concerns may be.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Harry
post Dec 31 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 598

According to a previous edition of the Newbury Weekly News "There are enough American bombs at RAF Welford to blow Newbury..off the face of the earth"
http://bit.ly/7Vj8Yu

..so why isnt this bigger news??

Keeping silent about such a large explosion so close to our homes is definatly not acceptable!

We, the citizens of the areas surrounding RAF Welford, have an absolute right to be made fully aware of incidence envolving large explosions on the base, which for all we know could, feasibly, endanger our lives. I live less than a mile from the perimeter fence of the base and up untill now the only way I have been able to sleep at night knowing there are enough munitions there to wipe me and my family "off the face of the earth" is because I have had the confidence to believe accidental detination could not possibly happen. Now that confidence has gone, and its terrifying. However, what has scared me even more is the clear denial of all information reguarding the incidence. The way we are being treated by the authorities is outrageous. We cannot and should not let them just cover this up. I therefore urge all who care for the safty of our families to write to Richard Benyon and demand what, at the very least, we have a right to; reassurance and, more importantly, answers!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 31 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

I agree and will be doing so; I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of this. It is especially concerning that there has been no official statement.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Dec 31 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

Hopefully, our intrepid NWN team are on to this...?

We do, of course, also have the distinguished military historian, author and former editor of the Daily Telegraph and Evening Standard, Sir Max Hastings living in our area. It's unlikely I guess that a man of his standing and intelligence would be bothered to read this kind of forum (!), but just perhaps someone who has contacts might flag this up to the national press?

Harry, in particular, speaks from the heart - and he deserves an answer.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Batfink
post Dec 31 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 202

Unless there has, of course, been a D notice issued to limit the reporting for "national security" or some other such nonsense! Please!!!

'Fess up chaps! We want to know what went wrong... and that it's not going to happen again!

+Quote Post
Mariejader
post Dec 31 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

I also heard this and at the time thought it had come from the Welford area, funny how so many of us hear something that did not happen

--------------------
www.mad4photography.co.uk

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Dec 31 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Rest easy, i'm sure !! it had nothing to do with welford and was nothing to worry about.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 31 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

If there had been an explosion at Welford, the villages of Welford, Leckhampstead, Weston, Great Shefford etc. would be shouting about it.

Not only that, if it was large enough to cause the cloud of smoke, it is all most certain to have caused secondary detonations throught the facility due to shock waves and the heat.

Could it have been a sonic boom rather than a conspiricy involving the military?

+Quote Post
Harry
post Jan 1 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 31 2009, 09:51 PM) *
If there had been an explosion at Welford, the villages of Welford, Leckhampstead, Weston, Great Shefford etc. would be shouting about it.

Not only are we shouting about it, we are absolutely furious about it!

Just because many of the villagers in this area do not use twitter or know about this forum certainly does not mean they are not discussing this event rigorously. You only need visit a social gathering point in our community, such as the village shop at Great Shefford, to hear the outcry of utter dismay from the local residents! I strongly suggest you do not try to discredit us, because not only did we hear the explosion, but for many of us, it shook our homes to the core.

+Quote Post
Harry
post Jan 1 2010, 02:57 AM
Post #35

I would also like to make one further comment. I have mentioned this already on twitter but not on this forum. Shortly after hearing the explosion on 27th Dec from my home in Weston, suddenly there was a large police presence in the village. At least 4 police vehicles travelled up the turning to Elton Farm (on the left hand side as you enter the village travelling from Great Shefford). A police 4x4 then appeared to transport officers up a dirt track leading up the hill away from the farm. I have walked up the same track many times and know it leads only to empty fields, and also to the perimeter fence of RAF Welford. There were also other 4x4 vehicles present, which appeared to be a local shoot. It is extremely unusual for there to be a heavy police presence in this area, and they must have been investigating something. Why haven't Thames Valley Police given any information as to why these police units were dispatched and what they were investigating? A statement from the police would definatly give somekind of insight into events. Can't the Newbury Weekly News request some sort of statment from the police? If you have google earth take a look for yourself at the location of the track the police units went up in relation to the Airbase: Latitude: 51°28'3.82"N Longitude: 1°25'39.40"W

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Jan 1 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (Harry @ Jan 1 2010, 02:57 AM) *
I would also like to make one further comment. I have mentioned this already on twitter but not on this forum. Shortly after hearing the explosion on 27th Dec from my home in Weston, suddenly there was a large police presence in the village. At least 4 police vehicles travelled up the turning to Elton Farm (on the left hand side as you enter the village travelling from Great Shefford). A police 4x4 then appeared to transport officers up a dirt track leading up the hill away from the farm. I have walked up the same track many times and know it leads only to empty fields, and also to the perimeter fence of RAF Welford. There were also other 4x4 vehicles present, which appeared to be a local shoot. It is extremely unusual for there to be a heavy police presence in this area, and they must have been investigating something. Why haven't Thames Valley Police given any information as to why these police units were dispatched and what they were investigating? A statement from the police would definatly give somekind of insight into events. Can't the Newbury Weekly News request some sort of statment from the police? If you have google earth take a look for yourself at the location of the track the police units went up in relation to the Airbase: Latitude: 51°28'3.82"N Longitude: 1°25'39.40"W

If there was anything untoward happening at RAF Welford, I'm surprised the police used that particular track, which appears to peter out to the north without going near the airbase.

A much better access is to take the lane opposite the gates to Welford Park on the Newbury Road northwards past the farm buildings. This leads right up to the perimeter fence. See 51°27'44.67"N, 1°24'6.20"W

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jan 1 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

If the police press office have not released a statement it is because there is no statement to release, i.e nothing untoward has happened. plus if there was something going on at welford that required police attendance they would go to the main gate and wait instruction from the MOD not drive up tracks and across fields.

It really isnt anything to do with welford or anything to do with anything of concern. trust me.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 1 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jan 1 2010, 11:07 AM) *
It really isnt anything to do with welford or anything to do with anything of concern. trust me.

A huge explosion heard for miles around and there is nothing to be concerned with...I beg to differ.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jan 1 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 1 2010, 11:10 AM) *
A huge explosion heard for miles around and there is nothing to be concerned with...I beg to differ.

And you know what it was?

+Quote Post
Batfink
post Jan 1 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 202

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jan 1 2010, 11:07 AM) *

Big old explosion = nothing to worry about?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:37 PM