Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury news.
newres
post Dec 18 2017, 05:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,961

I read the article and thought it was a light sentence.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/23...drugs-bust.html

Scroll down to the comments after reading it and you’ll see I wasn’t the only one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 18 2017, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 18 2017, 05:50 AM) *
I read the article and thought it was a light sentence.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/23...drugs-bust.html

Scroll down to the comments after reading it and you’ll see I wasn’t the only one.

I agree, no deterrent at all.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 18 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

The problem is that it costs an awful lot of money to incarcerate an offender , and the consensus is that it exposes a minor criminal to the influences of some very hardliners resulting in further crime down the line . Now I am in no way condoning the actions in this particular case but until society gets it's act in order on how to deal with the drug issue , magistrates are left in the unenviable position of assessing a damage limitation sentence .
We expect the police to deal with motorists who still use their phones , fly tippers , anti-social behaviour on a friday night , shoplifting , the list of petty crime is endless but we expect the boys in blue to deal with it all , even though they are as cash strapped as the rest of us. It would be interesting to know the total number of criminal acts committed per annum as I personally observe a legal breach daily and most of these are motorists who think the law does not apply to them but try telling that to a pedestrian who has to take avoiding action because someone has run a red light .
My point is that we all need to get our own houses in order and then we can concentrate resources on the real bad boys .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 18 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 18 2017, 09:43 AM) *
The problem is that it costs an awful lot of money to incarcerate an offender , and the consensus is that it exposes a minor criminal to the influences of some very hardliners resulting in further crime down the line . Now I am in no way condoning the actions in this particular case but until society gets it's act in order on how to deal with the drug issue , magistrates are left in the unenviable position of assessing a damage limitation sentence .
We expect the police to deal with motorists who still use their phones , fly tippers , anti-social behaviour on a friday night , shoplifting , the list of petty crime is endless but we expect the boys in blue to deal with it all , even though they are as cash strapped as the rest of us. It would be interesting to know the total number of criminal acts committed per annum as I personally observe a legal breach daily and most of these are motorists who think the law does not apply to them but try telling that to a pedestrian who has to take avoiding action because someone has run a red light .
My point is that we all need to get our own houses in order and then we can concentrate resources on the real bad boys .

Wouldn't disagree. Where the perpetrator has done no lasting damage to anything or anyone what's the point of locking them up at great expense. Far better to try and extract a few bob or a bit of unpaid public work. Keeps taxation down at least.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 19 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

My point really was that the comment at the end of the article appears to have been written by the offender and he obviously agrees he got off lightly.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 19 2017, 06:05 AM) *
My point really was that the comment at the end of the article appears to have been written by the offender and he obviously agrees he got off lightly.

Indeed, but it's part of the bigger story. Less drastic penalties for first time / lesser offenders helps reduce the Police workload. Take shoplifting. Way back, those caught shoplifting were dealt with severely and suffered shame; now Police don't even attend. So in this case, he keeps his job, pays a few bob into the community and that's that. Leaving Police resource free to deal with the few real nutters roaming around.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Breaking news this lunch time. Councils will be permitted to raise an extra 'rate' to increase police budgets! Is our Theresa running scared?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 19 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 04:39 PM) *
Breaking news this lunch time. Councils will be permitted to raise an extra 'rate' to increase police budgets! Is our Theresa running scared?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Bet your little heart skipped a beat when you read that .

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 19 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Yes, £12 per household, got to pay for all the police commissioners and their staff's Christmas bonuses.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 19 2017, 05:10 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Bet your little heart skipped a beat when you read that .

Indeed, just goes to show, you just can't trust the Tories at all!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 19 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 05:53 PM) *
Indeed, just goes to show, you just can't trust the Tories at all!

Should read " can't trust any politicians at all" to be accurate.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 19 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 04:39 PM) *

Not totally accurate - councils will have no choice in the matter - PCCs are the ones to be empowered to implement a raise of up to £12 per household.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 19 2017, 06:31 PM) *
Not totally accurate - councils will have no choice in the matter - PCCs are the ones to be empowered to implement a raise of up to £12 per household.

So we aren't going to know yet then, the PCC is a Tory so there is no telling what he'll do!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 19 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 06:48 PM) *
So we aren't going to know yet then, the PCC is a Tory so there is no telling what he'll do!

Declare war on North Korea? Outlaw liberals? Turn into Superman? You never know! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 19 2017, 07:05 PM) *
Declare war on North Korea? Outlaw liberals? Turn into Superman? You never know! laugh.gif

You certainly don't!

And to top this, it appears WBC is to be included in the 100% business rate retention pilot.
Isn't it wonderful, Tiny Tim will get his dinner after all.

I would like to correct the impression that I might have been giving over the past few months that Mrs May and her camp followers were little better than knuckle dragging Neanderthal types intent on simply extracting as much as they could from the population before disappearing with their ill gotten gains. When in fact, Mrs May is a reincarnation of Queen Boudica leading an awesome government of great talent who are set fair to deliver an even Greater Britian whom the nation's of the World will beg to trade with. But I won't.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 19 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 09:19 PM) *
You certainly don't!

And to top this, it appears WBC is to be included in the 100% business rate retention pilot.
Isn't it wonderful, Tiny Tim will get his dinner after all.

I would like to correct the impression that I might have been giving over the past few months that Mrs May and her camp followers were little better than knuckle dragging Neanderthal types intent on simply extracting as much as they could from the population before disappearing with their ill gotten gains. When in fact, Mrs May is a reincarnation of Queen Boudica leading an awesome government of great talent who are set fair to deliver an even Greater Britian whom the nation's of the World will beg to trade with. But I won't.

Jeremy Corbyn thinks he will win an election in 2018.....
Be careful what you wish for.

Im hoping he wins. I just want to see all the mass hysteria and huge disappointment that will follow. Be funny beyond words.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 19 2017, 09:34 PM) *
Jeremy Corbyn thinks he will win an election in 2018.....
Be careful what you wish for.

Im hoping he wins. I just want to see all the mass hysteria and huge disappointment that will follow. Be funny beyond words.

I'm so glad, I hope so too. We could do with cheering up and a good laugh will do that. I
Thanks for turning what you presently see as a lemon into lemonade.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 19 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 09:39 PM) *
I'm so glad, I hope so too. We could do with cheering up and a good laugh will do that. I

You do realise what millenials think? I interviewed one who thought they should "start" on 50k. They have unrealistic dreams that are going to be torn asunder. He is building a movement that will only result in civil unrest and calamity. But hey ho. You reap what you sow.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 19 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2017, 09:39 PM) *

Except labour lemonade is just piss in a tall glass.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 19 2017, 09:55 PM) *
Except labour lemonade is just piss in a tall glass.

At least its sterile, unlike the Tory s**t we've been fed for the last few years....

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:33 PM