> No modestly priced housing at Sterling Cables
nerc
post Jun 11 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 11 2014, 08:32 AM) *
Can I assume that all you lot are doing is posting philosophical and political ideology and nothing is based on data and fact? Of those that endorse a free market ideology, I wonder how many have directly and indirectly benefited from the big council house sell-off..

I lived in a council house in Newbury when i first got married and had the opportunity to buy it a a discount the same as everyone else had.

We decide to purchase and my partenr and me worked not only on our regular jobs but also part time positions to ensure we could pay the mortgage and live a comfortable life at the same time.

We eventually decided after buying the property(6 years previous) to up grade and move.

We had a dilemma as we had invested a considerable amount of money into our (now) ex council house and liked the area we were in.

After many many discussions and consultations with our financial adviser we decide to purchase another home using the collateral in our house but still keep the original home and rent it out to cover the costs.

Since then we have done the same on 4 occasions and must admit using our right to buy has been the best investment ever.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 11 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 11 2014, 04:25 PM) *
OTE, you recently explained how not everyone wanted or needed a large generous home, but if things are left to developers we will have none. The point is, councils are ultimately electable (in principle), but big business have a fairly free reign and are not. Things were like they were then but that doesn't mean it has to be like that now.

I simply think Councils are totally the wrong vehicle to do this. Holding Assiciations, particularly if they were mutual, would be far better. They would also be able to do their work without political interference. I wholly agree things can change, but history demonstrates that they change again. In the case of housing, for the past century, public housing provision has been divisive, and has been a convenient political football. I can't see that ever changing.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 11 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 11 2014, 10:51 PM) *
In the case of housing, for the past century, public housing provision has been divisive, and has been a convenient political football. I can't see that ever changing.

I think this point would work if you replaced public with private too, but there's little more divisive that an environment where labour is being devalued at the same time the cost of living in a house, whether private or not, soars. Even in a housing association home, rent always rises above inflation.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 12 2014, 06:39 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 11 2014, 11:26 PM) *
I think this point would work if you replaced public with private too, but there's little more divisive that an environment where labour is being devalued at the same time the cost of living in a house, whether private or not, soars. Even in a housing association home, rent always rises above inflation.

Quite agree, that combination is explosive - exactly today's issue.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 12 2014, 07:44 AM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 11 2014, 08:41 PM) *
I lived in a council house in Newbury when i first got married and had the opportunity to buy it a a discount the same as everyone else had.

We decide to purchase and my partenr and me worked not only on our regular jobs but also part time positions to ensure we could pay the mortgage and live a comfortable life at the same time.

We eventually decided after buying the property(6 years previous) to up grade and move.

We had a dilemma as we had invested a considerable amount of money into our (now) ex council house and liked the area we were in.

After many many discussions and consultations with our financial adviser we decide to purchase another home using the collateral in our house but still keep the original home and rent it out to cover the costs.

Since then we have done the same on 4 occasions and must admit using our right to buy has been the best investment ever.

This is why we have such a problem now, it's a no brainer to do it and I understand why people do, but it should never have been allowed.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 12 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 12 2014, 08:44 AM) *
This is why we have such a problem now, it's a no brainer to do it and I understand why people do, but it should never have been allowed.

And to compound the issue, we have very low interest rates and a pension industry with little credibility. I presume this is the reason house prices are being protected, and hence the two, or more, tier society that is developing.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:10 AM