Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Didcot Power Station.
Turin Machine
post Oct 19 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

With half of the plant destroyed by an act of vandalism, and the other half severely damaged by fire, oh, and with winter fast approaching I wonder if pandering to the eco warriors in Brussels still looks like a good idea.
The only good news is that at time of writing we do not seem to have had any casualties.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 19 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 19 2014, 10:51 PM) *
With half of the plant destroyed by an act of vandalism, and the other half severely damaged by fire, oh, and with winter fast approaching I wonder if pandering to the eco warriors in Brussels still looks like a good idea.
The only good news is that at time of writing we do not seem to have had any casualties.

Perhaps we could generate electricity from that bonfire of the quangos that the Tories promised at the last election. Plenty to stoke the furnaces with still.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 19 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

50% vandalism?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 20 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Let's hope the wind keeps blowing this Winter!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Oct 20 2014, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

I wonder if pandering to the eco warriors in Brussels still looks like a good idea.

The Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD, 2001/80/EC) which, by the way, Britain supported, co-authored and voted for, gave Didcot a couple of choices, either clean up its act or opt out of the Directive. It was a particularly 'dirty' generator and the use of Desulphurisation equipment would have meant it could have gone on well into the future. It's owners (the German company RWE - one of those companies presently exposed as being a low tax payer i.e. no tax for three years) decided, for reasons best known to them, to 'opt out' of the directive, this then gave them 20,000 hours more generating after the 'opt out' That time ran out at the end of March 2013.

Can't really see who was pandering to who...

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Oct 20 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Latest predictions suggest we should be able to cope. It was another fuel, but we also managed without a major problem when a big fire took out a big oil plant awhile back.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:27 PM