+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 25 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Interesting.

Two things stand out - no mention of a pavilion in the park (hooray) and no mention of a country park at Sandleford (boo).

I see they still want to get rid of eyesores - and yet are proud of building them (notably the cinema).

They want to move AFC Newbury - but don't really say what they want to do with the current football ground. And they are still determined to get us to stop using or owning cars.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 26 2013, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 25 2013, 10:53 PM) *
Interesting.

They want to move AFC Newbury - but don't really say what they want to do with the current football ground. And they are still determined to get us to stop using or owning cars.

They need to move the football club to enable the London Road Industrial Estate redevelopment to proceed. I be;ieve there is some sort of covenant to provide a ground - not sure....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 26 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 25 2013, 10:53 PM) *
... and no mention of a country park at Sandleford (boo).

Not unsurprising, but still very disappointing. A Country Park would trump all the other parks and green spaces and would deserve a specific mention, so it's a reasonable inference that the council has no intention of honouring their promise to create one at Sandleford.

There's also some blather about creating a volunteer culture in West Berkshire - so should I expect Clls Bairstow and Edwards to be standing up at the town council to demand allotment self-management, because they haven't shown any support for the idea so far, despite being elected on a Big Society ticket.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 26 2013, 08:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It just reads to me as more land being sold off.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 26 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 26 2013, 09:25 AM) *
It just reads to me as more land being sold off.

Sold off wouldn't be so bad - but the sum total received for council (ie our) land for Parkway and the 'urban village' is £1.

Why oh why didn't/don't they lease the land on a 99 year lease at a peppercorn rent - at least they would then have a big say in future developments.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 26 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Why oh why didn't/don't they lease the land on a 99 year lease at a peppercorn rent - at least they would then have a big say in future developments.

Probably beacuse the days of local philanthropy are well & truly over.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 26 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 11:47 AM) *

Or developers are 'taking advantage' of a situation that is only transient.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 26 2013, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 26 2013, 02:04 PM) *
Or developers are 'taking advantage' of a situation that is only transient.

Aye, that is another way of putting it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 26 2013, 03:51 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yep! Can you imagine what would happen if Baden-Powell or Doc Barnardo started up today trying to get the appropriate permissions and satisfying the inspectors? Peabody wouldn't have got too far either, particularly being a rich banker. Then there would be all the squeals if Carnegie came by with a wadge for the library. Big society don't go with big government

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 26 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 26 2013, 04:51 PM) *
Big society don't go with big government

So true.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 26 2013, 06:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 26 2013, 04:51 PM) *
Yep! Can you imagine what would happen if Baden-Powell or Doc Barnardo started up today trying to get the appropriate permissions and satisfying the inspectors? Peabody wouldn't have got too far either, particularly being a rich banker. Then there would be all the squeals if Carnegie came by with a wadge for the library. Big society don't go with big government

There are not enough good olf fashioned billionaires any longer period. Petty local penpushers have nothing to do with it. All we have instead is Greenham Common Trust & the Lottery.

If I decided to cough up & donate a chunk of cash to build so kind of civil ammenity, they'd bite my hands off.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 26 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 07:14 PM) *
If I decided to cough up & donate a chunk of cash to build so kind of civil ammenity, they'd bite my hands off.

Yes they would, but they'd spend rather a lot of your donation on administration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 26 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 07:14 PM) *
There are not enough good olf fashioned billionaires any longer period. Petty local penpushers have nothing to do with it. All we have instead is Greenham Common Trust & the Lottery.

Not convinced. I've seen just how our local politicians react when 'a group of interested persons' get together with a viable business plan; regrettably more than once. Newbury seems to suffer from this, worse than other areas I've been acquainted with. Its certainly not helped by the small capacity of WBC; something acknowledged by its previous CEO.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 26 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 26 2013, 07:24 PM) *
Not convinced. I've seen just how our local politicians react when 'a group of interested persons' get together with a viable business plan; regrettably more than once. Newbury seems to suffer from this, worse than other areas I've been acquainted with. Its certainly not helped by the small capacity of WBC; something acknowledged by its previous CEO.

Dannyboy was talking about a philanthropist offering the council a donation, and I'm pretty sure our local councils would accept that gladly if they could spend it how they liked. One example comes to mind where a community allotment group lead by a town councillor on the Town Council's Wash Common site, applied to the Greenham Common Trust for money to build a raised bed for wheelchair users, and the council (which couldn't itself apply for the grant) was glad to endorse the group's application and accept the donation of £4k, all of which they (the council) spent without completing the project.

You're talking about a group asking for the council's support and endorsement in delivering the group's own project on the group's own terms, and the council hate this kind of Big Society threat. You know of others, but one example springs to mind where the town council deliberately frustrated the Wash Common Allotment Society in building for itself a site hut at no cost to the council.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 26 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

If the 'group of interested persons' had just donated the cash to save the 'historic' local landmark I'd say they'd been philanthropic. Instead they just tried to buy it to make a business out of it. Council said no thanks, we have our own ideas.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 26 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 08:03 PM) *
If the 'group of interested persons' had just donated the cash to save the 'historic' local landmark I'd say they'd been philanthropic. Instead they just tried to buy it to make a business out of it. Council said no thanks, we have our own ideas.

I agree, would be wholly with the Council on a scam like that. Which means I'm always surprised when they listen to the same old thing from Development Companies!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 26 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I like the use of JV (joint venture), better than displaying, 'giving away prime land for a song'. What will they sell to complete the Vision 2050? Vicki Park?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 27 2013, 05:18 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Local philanthropy is well and truly with us - especially philanthropic donations by WBC to developers.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 27 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Its certainly not helped by the small capacity of WBC; something acknowledged by its previous CEO.

Exactly! WBC is simply too small to provide any significant capital projects. Bring back Berks CC!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:43 PM