4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home videos to DVD
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 23 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Ozzy @ Jul 23 2010, 01:28 PM) *
In the midst of an economic struggle a student on holiday wants to earn some extra cash. Hats off to him and good luck!

As somebody rightly said above, its better than lighting bins and getting drunk all day.

If he wants to post on here to offer an ad-hoc service then it doesn't bother me. It's hardly a business yet!

Good luck to you and if i find any videos i want done i will drop you a line.

Yeah, good luck with it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 23 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

A shameless plug, dressed up as a 'Hey guys, I saw this great site & thought I'd share it with you as I know it can be.....blah blah blahblah'

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 23 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Ozzy @ Jul 23 2010, 01:28 PM) *
Some people need to get a life.

In the midst of an economic struggle a student on holiday wants to earn some extra cash. Hats off to him and good luck!

As somebody rightly said above, its better than lighting bins and getting drunk all day.

If he wants to post on here to offer an ad-hoc service then it doesn't bother me. It's hardly a business yet!

Good luck to you and if i find any videos i want done i will drop you a line.

Yes, good luck to him/her.
Not a big deal in my opinion.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm making a note of all you guys who think that it is OK to break the forum rules, just in case it comes up again next time I upset someone..... wink.gif

+Quote Post
homevideovault
post Jul 23 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,003

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks. I don't want to go through 'channels', fill out forms or apply for a business, it's just that I have the right tools and am taking advantage of them. Though I suppose part of being British is having a good old rant, so feel free to act huffy and indignant. Shame on me!

Yes, other 'companies' offer this but this way is just a little easier. I can just drive around, pick your tapes up, have a chat about what it is you want and return them to you. I've done over 100 hours of my own home videos (my family are quite the hoarders) and everything has worked out fine.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 23 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

There you go, out of bed at last tongue.gif

You don't apply for a business, by providing a service and charging for it you are by definition a business - trust you have informed HMRC for tax purposes and West Berks so they can apply part business rates to the property you are using. Who are you using for your insurance - both for the liability should you loose or break a tape, but also the additional business use required for whatever you are driving around in whilst collecting these tapes.

We would all love to avoid the form filling and costs required to run a business, by providing this service in the way you appear to be you are damaging the tax paying business who employ staff and thereby make a positive contribution to society. If everyone had this attitude then how many more unemployed would there be, and how much more would our rates and taxes cost?

I have no problem with students working in the holidays, it is to be encouraged, just do it in the right way and abide by the same rules the rest of us have to.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 23 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2010, 02:40 PM) *
I'm making a note of all you guys who think that it is OK to break the forum rules, just in case it comes up again next time I upset someone..... wink.gif

Uh-oh.

Best not advertise my pub quiz on here then eh?......................... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 23 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Jul 23 2010, 03:00 PM) *
There you go, out of bed at last tongue.gif

You don't apply for a business, by providing a service and charging for it you are by definition a business - trust you have informed HMRC for tax purposes and West Berks so they can apply part business rates to the property you are using. Who are you using for your insurance - both for the liability should you loose or break a tape, but also the additional business use required for whatever you are driving around in whilst collecting these tapes.

We would all love to avoid the form filling and costs required to run a business, by providing this service in the way you appear to be you are damaging the tax paying business who employ staff and thereby make a positive contribution to society. If everyone had this attitude then how many more unemployed would there be, and how much more would our rates and taxes cost?

I have no problem with students working in the holidays, it is to be encouraged, just do it in the right way and abide by the same rules the rest of us have to.

Oh please give him/her a break!

Are you so naive as to think that everybody declares everything they do and that only people who cannot work claim benefit, this young person is just trying to do something constructive in their holidays.

No wonder so many youngsters are disillusioned by the elder and so called wiser.

This person is, I assume, currently in the middle of further education which hopefully will lead to good qualifications, but sadly this no longer gaurantees a decent job at the end of it, so a bit of experience will hopefully help them no end in years to come.

It's fat cat bankers and long term benefit scroungers/fraudsters I want to see made to pay their dues not a few quid from a student.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 23 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 23 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Oh please give him/her a break!

Are you so naive as to think that everybody declares everything they do and that only people who cannot work claim benefit, this young person is just trying to do something constructive in their holidays.

No wonder so many youngsters are disillusioned by the elder and so called wiser.

This person is, I assume, currently in the middle of further education which hopefully will lead to good qualifications, but sadly this no longer gaurantees a decent job at the end of it, so a bit of experience will hopefully help them no end in years to come.

It's fat cat bankers and long term benefit scroungers/fraudsters I want to see made to pay their dues not a few quid from a student.

Whilst DVD copies aren't my business, I would object to a student raising beer money (ok, stereotype I know!) by offering, a probably inferior service, at the expense of me and my employees. Avoiding tax, rates, insurance is actually fraud which you deplore. Let him/her do it by all means, but as I said "on the same terms as the rest off us". Would you like to loose you job to a "fly-by-night" company that didn't pay their way?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

I don't care about the business itself and how it is conducted, I just think advertising it on this forum sets a precedent. I don't want to log on to see a load of adverts disguised as topics, especially not in the Newbury news section.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 23 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2010, 05:48 PM) *
I don't care about the business itself and how it is conducted, I just think advertising it on this forum sets a precedent. I don't want to log on to see a load of adverts disguised as topics, especially not in the Newbury news section.

Yea, that to angry.gif

+Quote Post
homevideovault
post Jul 23 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #32

That's true, I am very sorry to intrude on the forum but it seemed a local message board would be the best place to go to. If there was a classified sub-board I would have gone there, but it was either this or random rants. By the tone of this thread it's probably more fitting this belonged to the latter.

Beer money doesn't bother me too much, it's more the £20,000 + debt I'll be in next June when I graduate. I'm sorry to offend you with what is a pretty honest scheme, and you should know I also work in my term time at university. As for the quality, I think it will speak for itself. I've been editing videos for nearly half my lifetime; this is the first term I've used it for any form of profit, which itself is far less than any company on the internet. Would you really consider this fraud? Your posts seem like a parody of the aforementioned grumpy elders, which I'm sure you're not, in the same way I'm not a lazy, beer chugging no-good student.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

I'm not offended, but if you put an ad on here then, someone else does, then someone else it stops being a forum and becomes a classified ad service.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 23 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Most of us have advertised on this site. By giving opinions on where to live, what we think of new shops opening, what the new pub is like, best garage etc.,

+Quote Post
homevideovault
post Jul 23 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #35

Yeah you're right; I hope this doesn't start a trend I just wanted to get the word out. It would actually be quite good having an online resource for classifieds etc, rather than having to wait a week for the NWN. I guess that's part of a newspaper's spirit though. For what it's worth this seems like a very nice forum, albeit a grumpy one ;-)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Well I for one am getting old!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 23 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (homevideovault @ Jul 23 2010, 09:28 PM) *
Yeah you're right; I hope this doesn't start a trend I just wanted to get the word out. It would actually be quite good having an online resource for classifieds etc, rather than having to wait a week for the NWN. I guess that's part of a newspaper's spirit though. For what it's worth this seems like a very nice forum, albeit a grumpy one ;-)

This forum is badly moderated in so far the rules are not well managed, but that has pros and cons. On many other sites you would have had your post removed by now. One thing though, if you are not declaring your earnings, then best avoid forums that are watched by all and sundry. Or at least 'consider' your response when challenged by such accusations of tax evasion, etc...

As an aside, I doubt few companies are 100% with their business accounts.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 23 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 23 2010, 10:10 PM) *
This forum is badly moderated in so far the rules are not well managed, but that has pros and cons. On many other sites you would have had your post removed by now. One thing though, if you are not declaring your earnings, then best avoid forums that are watched by all and sundry. Or at least 'consider' your response when challenged by such accusations of tax evasion, etc...

Wise words sir!

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jul 23 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 23 2010, 10:10 PM) *

As to the moderation bit, Admin or someone else watching has already, successfully removed what I considered to be two of the most offensive posts I've ever seen on here.

Well done and thank you for your promptness.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 23 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

students dont pay tax! I have to agree with strafin on this one. We may discuss and recommend pubs etc but if those businesses want to advertise they have to pay NWN for a slot in the paper or on the website. Advertising is how papers make some of there money so you are taking the mickey out of NWN by breaking their advertising rules.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:51 AM