IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Woolworths; any action on the horizon?
Blake
post Apr 12 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I still see that great carbuncle on the landscape, Woolworths, in Newbury, has no sign of life, only whitewashed windows.

Does anyone know exactly what is going on with this awful mess?

Someone here must know something about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 12 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I think the sight of empty, boarded up shops is pretty typical of High Streets up and down the country. I don't see why we should be expecting anything to change.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 12 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 12 2010, 09:47 AM) *
I think the sight of empty, boarded up shops is pretty typical of High Streets up and down the country. I don't see why we should be expecting anything to change.

Take a walk down Cheap Street. I think their are more boarded up shops than open ones! ohmy.gif

You have to wonder what will happen with Parkway if a shop in the middle of Northbrook Street with probably the most people passing its doors in Newbury cannot find a firm that is willing to risk a business opening... blink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 12 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 12 2010, 09:52 AM) *
Take a walk down Cheap Street. I think their are more boarded up shops than open ones! ohmy.gif

Didn't seem like that when I was last down that way (apart from the units under the cinema). Hasn't a new financial advisor just opened up there?

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 12 2010, 09:52 AM) *
You have to wonder what will happen with Parkway if a shop in the middle of Northbrook Street with probably the most people passing its doors in Newbury cannot find a firm that is willing to risk a business opening... blink.gif

Seems like the Woolwoorths building has been blighted by Parkway and the removal of effective rear access. A large shop needs access for delivery lorries; perhaps splitting it into smaller units would make sense - an arcade of sorts.

Meanwhile someone thinks enough of it to be tidying it up, removing asbestos etc.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 12 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 12 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Didn't seem like that when I was last down that way (apart from the units under the cinema). Hasn't a new financial advisor just opened up there?

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=12933

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 12 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

And former premises of the Chinese restaurant are being refurbished.

Apparently when the road was closed footfall increased, which sounds like a good argument for daytime pedestrianisation of Cheap Street.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 12 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

perhaps splitting it into smaller units would make sense - an arcade of sorts.

The landlord would never agree.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Apr 12 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

And why not?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 12 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Apr 12 2010, 04:46 PM) *
And why not?

Chopping up a perfectly good shop, one of the few large units in Newbury, into a 'Market' so that it can be filled with 'traders' selling the cheapest tat?

Even if the landlord decided it was a good idea you then have to find someone willing to stump up what must be an enormous rent - 730ft down weavers walk is £16000pa - on top of which you have the problem of finding enough tennants & fast to fill 20 odd units. Each would still be £10000pa....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 12 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 12 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Chopping up a perfectly good shop, one of the few large units in Newbury, into a 'Market' so that it can be filled with 'traders' selling the cheapest tat?

Even if the landlord decided it was a good idea you then have to find someone willing to stump up what must be an enormous rent - 730ft down weavers walk is £16000pa - on top of which you have the problem of finding enough tennants & fast to fill 20 odd units. Each would still be £10000pa....

No ones jumping at the chance of a big shop - perhaps splitting makes sense. Why do they have to sell cheap tat? Mind you - selling cheap tat does seem to be profitable.

Perhaps they could provide a walkway through to Parkway - lots of passing trade. Do it up nicely, lett 20 small units or 10 medium sized boutiques, not market stalls - would probably raise more than letting it as a whole.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 13 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

According to a Wilkos employee I was talking to last week in B'stoke, they are indeed intending to move into the old Woolworths store here. However, they won't be doing anything until the Parkway development has been finished because of, as has been mentioned previously on here, current problems getting acess for large lorries to the rear of the premises.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Apr 13 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Apr 13 2010, 08:00 AM) *
According to a Wilkos employee I was talking to last week in B'stoke, they are indeed intending to move into the old Woolworths store here. However, they won't be doing anything until the Parkway development has been finished because of, as has been mentioned previously on here, current problems getting acess for large lorries to the rear of the premises.

Nobody will move into Woolies whilst Parkway is still an unknown quantity, Northbrook Street will die if Parkway is filled, if its not then the whole of Newbury will be a ghost town with shoppers going to Reading/Swindon/Basingstoke, or Hungerford/Marlborough for independent shops. A miracle is needed for Newbury, H&M and Debenhams in Parkway just isn't enough. Why is the date for the Parkway opening being put back - because they can't fill the units, and why would they? Where do you go shopping (open question unsure.gif )

We must also have the only Cinema in a town centre that no restaurant chain wants to be associated with! The Kennet Centre - should be renamed the White Elephant.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 13 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 13 2010, 12:49 AM) *
No ones jumping at the chance of a big shop - perhaps splitting makes sense. Why do they have to sell cheap tat? Mind you - selling cheap tat does seem to be profitable.

Perhaps they could provide a walkway through to Parkway - lots of passing trade. Do it up nicely, lett 20 small units or 10 medium sized boutiques, not market stalls - would probably raise more than letting it as a whole.

Why do I say cheap tat?

Because every indoor market, bar Oxford's, I have been to is filled with just that.

20 boutiques = at least £10000 pa each for the market owner to make a profit & cover the rent on that unit. I can't see it adding up.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 13 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 13 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Because every indoor market, bar Oxford's, I have been to is filled with just that.

You should try a walk down Burlington Arcade.

It doesn't have to be an indoor market - why not view it as an arcade or mall.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 13 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 13 2010, 06:47 PM) *
You should try a walk down Burlington Arcade.

It doesn't have to be an indoor market - why not view it as an arcade or mall.

The Galleria Subalpina in Turin is more me, but I get where you are going.

When the Kennet Centre first opened they had an 'arcade' of sorts. Started where Boswells is now & came out where Petit Square & Pizza Express are.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 13 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

No need to go too far in searching for arcades, and I'm no fan of Reading generally and it does make Newbury seem like Sleepy Hollow, but try this peice of Art Deco splendour - something to be cherished.

http://www.harris-arcade.co.uk/

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 14 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 13 2010, 07:12 PM) *
When the Kennet Centre first opened they had an 'arcade' of sorts. Started where Boswells is now & came out where Petit Square & Pizza Express are.

Yes - the Kennet Mall - something along those lines would be fine - if it could connect into Parkway it would attract plenty of footfall.

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Apr 15 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

I imagine a lot of major shops will want to be taking up units in Parkway, what with the nice modern looks, security provided, publicity etc as opposed to a fairly old unit that probably needs a bit of work etc.

The problem with Parkway seems to be that they are selling the biggest first and obviously the biggest units will take longer to sell and fewer businesses will be interested in them. Once those biggest units are done I'm sure the rest will be done fairly quickly.

Perhaps those people that took over the Woolworths in Reading could take over the Newbury one as well? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
misc
post Apr 15 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (Jeven @ Apr 15 2010, 02:10 AM) *
Perhaps those people that took over the Woolworths in Reading could take over the Newbury one as well? tongue.gif

Clas Ohlson? Yes I'd be very happy to see them open a branch in Newbury.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 16 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

It can't be doing the site's prospects much good when the agents website has the wrong details showing.

Clicking on the listing for the old Woollies takes you to details of the old MFI / Currys on London road. Details that must be 2-3 years old....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:36 AM