> Census results
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 16 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18838540

So the population of England and Wales has risen. Does anyone have any idea about how we can control population growth or should we just accept that the population will continue to grow?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

My neice had her baby recently and on the ward were several non EU mothers giving birth. They have no intention of staying or working here, so are not doing anything illegal, just on vacation and to give birth. This has a double advantage - no charge for materity care and the baby has a dual passport entitling him/her to legally enter the EU at any time.

If this is happening on a daily basis in every maternity hospital in the country that would be a fair proportion of the reported 6.6M births.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Looking at the age/sex graph. Both sexes start to decline at 60ish, but increase at 65. Where do these people dissapear to for 5 years?

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 16 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 16 2012, 05:24 PM) *

Does anyone have any idea about how we can control population growth or should we just accept that the population will continue to grow?

I don't think we can stop it. Whether on a national or global scale, it will be exhaustion of natural resources or a pandemic that controls population.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 16 2012, 05:35 PM) *
My neice had her baby recently and on the ward were several non EU mothers giving birth. They have no intention of staying or working here, so are not doing anything illegal, just on vacation and to give birth. This has a double advantage - no charge for materity care and the baby has a dual passport entitling him/her to legally enter the EU at any time.

If this is happening on a daily basis in every maternity hospital in the country that would be a fair proportion of the reported 6.6M births.

I don't believe that has been true since 1983. Being born in the UK does not make you a UK citizen. EU nationals have a right to enter the UK for work.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 16 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 16 2012, 05:39 PM) *
Looking at the age/sex graph. Both sexes start to decline at 60ish, but increase at 65. Where do these people dissapear to for 5 years?

They are the baby-boomers. If you look at the previous censuses, in 2001 you can see a peak of 55 year olds, in 1991 a peak of 45 year olds, in 1981 35 year olds and so on back to when they were born in 1946 at the end of the second world war.

There is a similar smaller peak of people born in 1920, after the first world war.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 16 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

So the population of England and Wales has risen. Does anyone have any idea about how we can control population growth or should we just accept that the population will continue to grow?

More citizens = more taxpayers. Which UK party seeking Government is about to start encouraging smaller families?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 16 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 16 2012, 08:37 PM) *
More citizens = more taxpayers. Which UK party seeking Government is about to start encouraging smaller families?

That, I think, could be the long term problem.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 16 2012, 08:37 PM) *

It would seem that the population growth is more to do with ecconomic migration than birth rate, and the influx of hard-working Eastern European twenty-somethings has done wonders for the ecconomy as they pay lots of tax and cost comparatively little in health care and benefits. The worry is what happens when they all leave.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 16 2012, 08:42 PM) *
That, I think, could be the long term problem.

I don't think so, not in the West. It's my understanding that birth rate isn't ridiculously high in the West, and if there is a problem it's like NWNREADER says, that there won't be enough workers supporting the comparatively large population of increasingly aged P's.

Population growth is more a problem for Africa where their corrupt big-man governance is pissing the wealth of their natural resources up against a wall while their population continue to live in the stone-age, breeding like rabbits and dying in their millions from famine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 16 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 16 2012, 05:49 PM) *
I don't think we can stop it. Whether on a national or global scale, it will be exhaustion of natural resources or a pandemic that controls population.

Precisely.
If we don't control population voluntarily then at some point Nature will do it for us. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 16 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 16 2012, 08:55 PM) *
It would seem that the population growth is more to do with ecconomic migration than birth rate, and the influx of hard-working Eastern European twenty-somethings has done wonders for the ecconomy as they pay lots of tax and cost comparatively little in health care and benefits. The worry is what happens when they all leave.

Or stay and get old.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 16 2012, 09:12 PM) *
I don't think so, not in the West. It's my understanding that birth rate isn't ridiculously high in the West, and if there is a problem it's like NWNREADER says, that there won't be enough workers supporting the comparatively large population of increasingly aged P's.Population growth is more a problem for Africa where their corrupt big-man governance is pissing the wealth of their natural resources up against a wall while their population continue to live in the stone-age, breeding like rabbits and dying in their millions from famine.

That is a problem for the poor souls that live there; not so much elsewhere, or until such time they seek refuge.

The problem I see is growth. Surely it has a sustainable limit?

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Jul 16 2012, 11:49 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

Why not write to the Vatican and ask them if they've got any ideas?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 17 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Jul 17 2012, 12:49 AM) *
Why not write to the Vatican and ask them if they've got any ideas?

And again, the rise in population is not due to an increased birth rate, and in any case there are relatively few Catholics in the UK, the population growth is due mainly to an influx of Eastern European ecconomic migrants and to a lesser extent a reduction in the death rate - I heard on the radio recently the increadible statistic that the average age of death in the UK is getting older by five hours a day.

Birth rate is a problem in Africa, and it's a legitimate criticism of the Catholic church that they suppress the use of birth control, but the problem is very much more to do with institutionally corrupt and backward governments and their complicit populations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 17 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 16 2012, 10:24 PM) *
Or stay and get old.

I don't know. The Asians who escaped Uganda in the seventies have very much made a nett contribution to the wealth and prosperity of Blighty because they were proud, industrious and hard working, and I see the Eastern Europeans in much the same way. Yes, if the ecconomic migrants stay and retires here they will put a burden on health and welfare services, but that seems to me a reasonable price to pay for their hard work in their youth.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 16 2012, 10:24 PM) *
That is a problem for the poor souls that live there; not so much elsewhere, or until such time they seek refuge.

Quite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jul 17 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 16 2012, 05:35 PM) *

When we had our son, the ward had a family who had made themselves homeless as she went into labour, they then asked the Dr to get them a house. Complete and utter scum.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jul 17 2012, 08:22 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jul 17 2012, 09:20 AM) *
When we had our son, the ward had a family who had made themselves homeless as she went into labour, they then asked the Dr to get them a house. Complete and utter scum.

Put another record on....

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 17 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 17 2012, 09:11 AM) *
I don't know. The Asians who escaped Uganda in the seventies have very much made a nett contribution to the wealth and prosperity of Blighty because they were proud, industrious and hard working, and I see the Eastern Europeans in much the same way. Yes, if the ecconomic migrants stay and retires here they will put a burden on health and welfare services, but that seems to me a reasonable price to pay for their hard work in their youth.

Yes, but after all this industry, we are in massive debt. We've spent it. Now we are trying to do the same thing again.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 17 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jul 17 2012, 09:22 AM) *
Put another record on....

Don't rise to it; he's trolling.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post Jul 17 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 17 2012, 09:25 AM) *
Don't rise to it; he's trolling.

Don't be such a complete idiot, I was replying to a post. Why don't you and Timbo have another 10 page argument, as that's what a forum needs. You don't run the forum, you are not admin.

Your just a single minded idiot with a stupid forum name.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:29 PM