> Voluntary Emergency Response?
On the edge
post Dec 22 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/vat-rel...r-the-community

On the face of it, this seems reasonable BUT. Don't we actually have a pub,I'd ambulance service that is pretty effective and efficient, no matter what the Daily Mail might suggest! So I'm not quite sure why we actually need this level of charitable help in an emergency. I'm sure training people in first aid is a good and rewarding role and so would helping out a public functions, etc, but a full blown ambulance?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 22 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 22 2014, 04:26 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/vat-rel...r-the-community

On the face of it, this seems reasonable BUT. Don't we actually have a pub,I'd ambulance service that is pretty effective and efficient, no matter what the Daily Mail might suggest! So I'm not quite sure why we actually need this level of charitable help in an emergency. I'm sure training people in first aid is a good and rewarding role and so would helping out a public functions, etc, but a full blown ambulance?

Let's see how dependable the ambulance is when (heaven forbid) your strawberry packs in wink.gif . An ambulance can't be in two places at once and sometimes having a first response enables more effective evaluation for determining ambulance need. Diabetic hypo attacks, for instance, don't necessarily require an ambulance, but they do urgently require a trained medic.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 22 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

How does HMRC feel about the transport vehicles that are run by the ambulance service that cart patients about. They have seats but they don't have room for a stretcher, Are these funded by WBC and if the rapid response pays vat is the Vat bill even higher than just a couple of cars.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 22 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 22 2014, 05:42 PM) *
Let's see how dependable the ambulance is when (heaven forbid) your strawberry packs in wink.gif . An ambulance can't be in two places at once and sometimes having a first response enables more effective evaluation for determining ambulance need. Diabetic hypo attacks, for instance, don't necessarily require an ambulance, but they do urgently require a trained medic.

Regrettably 'been there, done that' and first responder was a trained first aider. My old Dad was also an SJAB stalwart for years. I suppose what I'm uncomfortable about is the tax exemption. The issue we all suffer from is the exceptional number of exceptions in the UK system - which means tax avoidance. Pay an allowance out if public funds if it's felt justified, but don't bend the tax rules.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 22 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 22 2014, 06:18 PM) *
Regrettably 'been there, done that' and first responder was a trained first aider. My old Dad was also an SJAB stalwart for years. I suppose what I'm uncomfortable about is the tax exemption. The issue we all suffer from is the exceptional number of exceptions in the UK system - which means tax avoidance. Pay an allowance out if public funds if it's felt justified, but don't bend the tax rules.

I don't see the problem if it can be demonstrated that the first response saves the NHS money and enables the NHS to provide a better service. I think it is silly not to amend rules when there are changes to circumstances. There are by far greater tax avoidance issues than this I suspect.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2014, 11:23 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 22 2014, 07:01 PM) *
I don't see the problem if it can be demonstrated that the first response saves the NHS money and enables the NHS to provide a better service. I think it is silly not to amend rules when there are changes to circumstances. There are by far greater tax avoidance issues than this I suspect.

I'd certainly like to see a proper justification, that's difficult because whenever any aspect of health care is considered, understandably raw emotion gets thrown in. Doubtless with more private health care, charitable or not, there will be more 'non public' ambulances, so yes, whatever tax rules apply to ambulances, need to apply to all ambulances. There are as you rightly say, far greater issues in tax avoidance and that perhaps is where the issue starts, we need to be far clearer and concise defining enforceable tax rules.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 23 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

In terms of health care, I see it as a way to save having an ambulance always turn up when it might not be be necessary. If the first response car (FRC) is a private and commercial concern, then I see VAT as being more appropriate, but one could argue that going private frees up staff and money for the 'plebs'.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 23 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 23 2014, 12:09 PM) *
In terms of health care, I see it as a way to save having an ambulance always turn up when it might not be be necessary. If the first response car (FRC) is a private and commercial concern, then I see VAT as being more appropriate, but one could argue that going private frees up staff and money for the 'plebs'.

If WBC are vat registered, then vat on expenditure can be reclaimed against vat paid or are there different rules for the councils.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 23 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

A 'significant minority' of the population believe that National Service is what's needed to get this country back in order.
Teaching already angry teenagers how to kill, shoot and plunder.

Why not make them do something positive; 16 hours a week emergency service volunteering.
Will train up people in skills such as first aid, perhaps pushing more people into working in Healthcare, Doctors & nurses, Firemen, perhaps police.
Gives people a sense of self-worth and helping others which is better than shooting people in the face (trust me).

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 23 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 23 2014, 02:46 PM) *
If WBC are vat registered, then vat on expenditure can be reclaimed against vat paid or are there different rules for the councils.

A council is not liable to pay VAT on things which enable it to perform its public function. Any VAT paid is recoverable.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 23 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 23 2014, 03:17 PM) *
A 'significant minority' of the population believe that National Service is what's needed to get this country back in order.
Teaching already angry teenagers how to kill, shoot and plunder.

Why not make them do something positive; 16 hours a week emergency service volunteering.
Will train up people in skills such as first aid, perhaps pushing more people into working in Healthcare, Doctors & nurses, Firemen, perhaps police.
Gives people a sense of self-worth and helping others which is better than shooting people in the face (trust me).

Rather ironic that!

There was a call for a return of a form of national service for all youngsters who weren't going to be living away from home for educational purposes. The suggestion being that this would not be armed forces, but in a diciplined civilian service force which could be used to assist with national and indeed international emergencies. Two part reason, first to instil confidence and the ability to look after themselves for the youngsters and as a means of properly supporting needy communities. Proposal came from the community round here..

Dammed with feint praise then sunk without a trace! Big society in action.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:53 PM