Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vodafone - not only expensive; rubish coverage too, even in Newbury
Andy Capp
post Nov 17 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

the title says it all; changing next week.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post Nov 17 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

When Vodafone learnt that my wife and I were thinking of changing to another provider, suddenly they could not do enough for us and cheaper tariffs and free kit were offered.

Too late, I have had enough of them and we are getting a couple of SIMs from giffgaff.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 17 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Yeah, I've heard similar, but expensive (PAYG) for poor reception is not on. Several times in the last few weekends I've had people try phoning me, but despite apparently OK signal, there's no service.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Nov 19 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Swapped from a Vodafone contract to Giffgaff last year and haven't looked back. The forum based support is excellent and it's costing less than half my old contract but main reason for swapping was the very poor Vodafone signal in south west Newbury.

Have had one service outage from Giffgaff recently but their response was efficient, customers were compensated and have had worse problems with Vodafone in the past. I know someone in Surrey who was without Vodafone service for weeks at home recently.

As others have commented, based on their actions (and much of their advertising) Vodafone are really only interested in corporate customers in the UK and in grabbing a slice of the vast Chinese market.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 19 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It's a shame things have gone that way seeing as Vodafone have their roots in Newbury and pioneered the first cellular system from here. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Nov 19 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 19 2013, 11:03 AM) *
It's a shame things have gone that way seeing as Vodafone have their roots in Newbury and pioneered the first cellular system from here. sad.gif

I agree. Given our small sample isn't representative I searched online and found these dire reviews

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.vodafone.co.uk

but 02 and Giffgaff don't do much better at Trust Pilot

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.o2.co.uk
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/giffgaff.com

and it's entirely possible that the suppliers are posting negative reviews of each others' services. Even if they're not there's bound to be some sampling bias given that satisfied customers are unlikely to leave reviews.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 19 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I had a call recently from 'Vodafone' saying that as I was a loyal customer, they'd like to offer me an attractive rate. The first question he asked? How much do I spend a month. If he doesn't know how much I spend a month, how can he really know I am a loyal customer!

In any case, the rate offered was a 12 month contract, so binned that straight away.

One thing I am aware of is that phone performance can come down to a dodgy handset, so that has to be born in mind too.

For me, it seems obvious they are trying to flush out PAYG, and considering they have expensive call rates, you'd think they would make sure their network was sound. I feel no loyalty to stay with them.

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Nov 19 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Nov 19 2013, 01:17 PM) *
I agree. Given our small sample isn't representative I searched online and found these dire reviews

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.vodafone.co.uk

but 02 and Giffgaff don't do much better at Trust Pilot

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.o2.co.uk
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/giffgaff.com

and it's entirely possible that the suppliers are posting negative reviews of each others' services. Even if they're not there's bound to be some sampling bias given that satisfied customers are unlikely to leave reviews.

Personally, I have absolutely no issue with giffgaff. From the moment I ordered my SIM to now, everything has run very smoothly. Even when there was network hiccup, the website was updated to provide info to customers.

It's like reading reviews on Amazon though, and amusing ones self with the 1* ratings: "the packaging was damaged when it arrived...disgusting". You'll always get some melodramatic folk wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 19 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 19 2013, 01:10 PM) *
In any case, the rate offered was a 12 month contract, so binned that straight away.

Why? A contract has got to be cheaper than PAYG. Do you get to choose a phone with PAYG? (Never tried it.)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 19 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 19 2013, 07:49 PM) *
Why? A contract has got to be cheaper than PAYG. Do you get to choose a phone with PAYG? (Never tried it.)

I don't want to commit to a contract. PAYGO in my case was sim only; I have a phone already.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Nov 20 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Giffgaff's 'goody bags' provide similar service to a contract (inclusive minutes, texts and data) but you don't have to commit for a fixed term. You can either buy one when you need it or set them up to automatically renew via your account. As most of my calls and texts are to other family members who use giffgaff (and there therefore free) I can usually buy the £7.50/month goody bag but if I'm going to be away and using data more intensively I'll get a £10.00 one

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags?utm_source=g...PC_Brand_Offers

Must admit I haven't compared prices with other service providers recently, I assume there are competitive PAYG packages available from others.

I'm using Giffgaff with a decent HTC smartphone which was supplied as an upgrade by Vodafone 3 years ago, in the days when Voda offered decent upgrades (the fact they didn't last time was one reason I dropped them). The phone didn't need to be unlocked to work with the Giffgaff SIM.

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post Nov 20 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

The high cost of the latest desirable handsets encourages people into contracts so they do not have to stump up a huge initial cost. But people have found, to their despair, that whilst they are locked in for 24 months, the terms allow the telco to increase prices mid contract. Ofcom says it is cracking down on this so that customers can move, but the companies can always rely on customers simply not wanting the hassle of changing providers.

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Nov 20 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

Andy, I've got a spare giffgaff SIM if you want it? I had two spares for family, but only needed one in the end. PM me if you want me to post it to you?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 20 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (pbonnay @ Nov 20 2013, 11:29 AM) *
The high cost of the latest desirable handsets encourages people into contracts so they do not have to stump up a huge initial cost. But people have found, to their despair, that whilst they are locked in for 24 months, the terms allow the telco to increase prices mid contract. Ofcom says it is cracking down on this so that customers can move, but the companies can always rely on customers simply not wanting the hassle of changing providers.

Never had a mid-contract price hike myself. So I am not in despair. Though I am slightly regretting going for the Galaxy S2 at renewal time as I thought the S3 was a bit large.

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Sep 26 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,636

bringing this up as have been with EE for the past year and I have just about had enough. The drop out rate around Newbury is terrible. Up and down the M4 is rubbish as is the A34.

So who is best for this area when travelling not stationary?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Sep 26 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

I don't have much of an issue with Vodafone when my mate gives me a lift, although it's mainly incoming calls. It also works on the train, although a bit flakey around Aldermaston.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Sep 29 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Sep 26 2014, 06:12 PM) *
bringing this up as have been with EE for the past year and I have just about had enough. The drop out rate around Newbury is terrible. Up and down the M4 is rubbish as is the A34.

So who is best for this area when travelling not stationary?

It all depends on where 'this area' is, and whether you're inside or outside any buildings.

The best thing to do is check on each of the networks' coverage checker site maps to get a good idea how good the coverage will be in the exact location(s) you'll be needing signal in.

Good luck

+Quote Post
Ciderdrinker
post Sep 29 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,764

I have never had a problem with Vodafone, always manage to keep the price down and no problems with signal anywhere in Newbury.

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Sep 30 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

That's the issue really. Just find an operator that serves where you are most likely to be most of the time. Trouble is, how you you know?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Sep 30 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

All I can say is that some of you must have seriously bad phones.
I have never had a problem with signal, and neither do any of the people I assocaite with. OK, sometimes the signal is not 100% on the display, but I never don't get a connection, anywhere!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:57 PM