IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Proposals for smoking ban, Pub beer gardens, other various public gaterhing locations
NWNREADER
post Feb 22 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Feb 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *
Perhaps the definition should be to allow consumption of drugs where anybody around would be in full consent. i.e. stations are unlikely cos people hate going to work stinking of smoke; but private clubs that are pro-dugs could be labeled as such. There would have to be exclusions such as children, vulnerable, and health etc as well as input from the community.

Please clarify what you mean....... 'pro-drug private clubs'? 'Allow consumption of drugs where anyone around would be in full consent'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 23 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (x2lls @ Feb 22 2012, 09:22 PM) *
So how slow do you walk to accumulate a stink?

It takes about five seconds. I notice it on my staff, obviously the ones who smoke smell anyway, but he ones who pop out sometimes at the same time pick it up really easily. Not personal, all smokers smell. On the other hand they pay a lot of tax.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Feb 23 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 22 2012, 10:05 PM) *
Please clarify what you mean....... 'pro-drug private clubs'? 'Allow consumption of drugs where anyone around would be in full consent'?

We have examples of these already with alcohol being served in places where people choose to consume it and it's not acceptable to consume it on the streets or on the train.

By making most places smoke free we are changing the way society looks on drugs - it's no longer something generally promoted by society but people are still legally allowed to consume the drug. It's a good compromise that I would extend slightly by allowing single drug private clubs (consenting clubs). I would also place further safeguards than there are today, for example, bar it from any where near children (even at home), the vulnerable etc.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 23 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Feb 23 2012, 01:40 AM) *
We have examples of these already with alcohol being served in places where people choose to consume it and it's not acceptable to consume it on the streets or on the train.

By making most places smoke free we are changing the way society looks on drugs - it's no longer something generally promoted by society but people are still legally allowed to consume the drug. It's a good compromise that I would extend slightly by allowing single drug private clubs (consenting clubs). I would also place further safeguards than there are today, for example, bar it from any where near children (even at home), the vulnerable etc.

So why not say 'smoking clubs'?
I do not disagree nicotine is a drug of sorts, but you will confuse simple readers by firing a howitzer and implying 'Drug Clubs' etc......... Even the Dutch are regretting their Coffee Shop legislation.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Feb 23 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2012, 09:10 AM) *
So why not say 'smoking clubs'?
I do not disagree nicotine is a drug of sorts, but you will confuse simple readers by firing a howitzer and implying 'Drug Clubs' etc......... Even the Dutch are regretting their Coffee Shop legislation.

Focus on a single drug source like smoking promotes a very emotional response - love or hate, there is little compromise. Thinking of this as a generic drug issue helps me to take a pragmatic view and to look to see if there is a common thread and approach that can be used with each of our drug consuming practices.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 23 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2012, 09:10 AM) *
I do not disagree nicotine is a drug of sorts

No "of sorts" about it. Many studies have shown that it's more addictive than heroin.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Feb 23 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 23 2012, 10:55 AM) *
No "of sorts" about it. Many studies have shown that it's more addictive than heroin.

I laughed when my farther in law said he was going for a smoke. I asked why, does he need to get high, and his response was, no I need to smoke to stay normal. Is that the response of anyone other than an addict?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 23 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 23 2012, 10:55 AM) *

I agree, but I would prefer a distinction between smoking and the drugs we colloquially talk about. Being 'anti-smoking' creates a different response to being anti-drugs. That from one who does know just a bit about the subject......

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Feb 23 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2012, 03:42 PM) *
I agree, but I would prefer a distinction between smoking and the drugs we colloquially talk about. Being 'anti-smoking' creates a different response to being anti-drugs. That from one who does know just a bit about the subject......

Cars and Lorries are smelly and pollute. Lets ban them.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 23 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Smoking has become as antisocial a drink driving, it costs society billions in lost production as well as health care every year, yet, I do feel that if someone wishes to purue the habit and is willing to do so insuch a manner as not to discomfort others then I have to say, why not ? Cancer and poverty wil stamp it out in the end, I can wait.

Achohol is a more perfidious and destructive evil in my opinion anyway.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 23 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 23 2012, 12:22 AM) *
It takes about five seconds. I notice it on my staff.

Erm, oh nothing.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 23 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

ROFLMAO

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 23 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Had it been a full stop I too would have quivered an eyebrow. However, it was a comma and the remainder of the sentence made clear he was talking about employees/minions.......
I am just amazed they are allowed away from the looms at all, let alone for a smoke. Especially as children should not be smoking at all....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 23 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2012, 04:54 PM) *
Had it been a full stop I too would have quivered an eyebrow. However, it was a comma and the remainder of the sentence made clear he was talking about employees/minions.......
I am just amazed they are allowed away from the looms at all, let alone for a smoke. Especially as children should not be smoking at all....

The ones who smoke take an hours more break than the ones who don't every day, so son't worry about them too much. And they (as all smokers do) claim that they only pop out for a minute, don't take other breaks, and work better when they have had a fag. Someone mentioned a smokers only pub earlier in the thread, I am all for segregation, if there was a place for smokers only, I would applaud it, but how many people would actually stick to it?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 23 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Can I stick my head above the parapet and say I actually preffered the smell of pubs when there was smoking, seemed appropriate somehow, now all I smell is greasy food stale beer and sweat, not nice and I keep telling the wife she should smarten herself up as well.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 23 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Farts too.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 23 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

No, she doesn't !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 24 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 23 2012, 04:54 PM) *

Brilliant. Thank you for making me laugh so much. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 26 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...e-backyard.html

These guys have got the right idea....

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Feb 27 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 26 2012, 01:08 PM) *

So California wants to ban smoking outdoors. The same American state that, when it went to the polls, 56% of citizens voted for legalising drugs. You couldn't make it up.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:26 AM