Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traffic Wardens, aka Green Goblind or Civil Enforcement Officers
JeffG
post Jul 23 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

JohnGB - just a small point, but when you reply to a post, it's best to add your comments in the same reply (below the [/quote] line), then you don't get double posts. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 214

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 23 2009, 04:01 PM) *
JohnGB - just a small point, but when you reply to a post, it's best to add your comments in the same reply (below the line), then you don't get double posts. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Is this a new forum sport.... just to quote the previous poster and nothing else laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 214

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 23 2009, 04:01 PM) *
JohnGB - just a small point, but when you reply to a post, it's best to add your comments in the same reply (below the line), then you don't get double posts. wink.gif

Thanks I will remember that in future.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 23 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2009, 04:00 PM) *
If you pay road tax you should be able to park on the public road, unless there are yellow lines. That's how easy it could and should be in my opinion.

I disagree. I feel bad for people who live in streets within walking distance into town. people park there all the time which makes it impossible for people who actually live there to park in front of their own house. Perhaps you've never lived in an area where people would park in front of your house so they can go somewhere else? I used to live on a street where there was a church at the end. Sundays were a nightmare. My dad would leave for 10 minutes to go get the paper, when he got back, there would be no where to park. It's an inconvenience and I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it on a daily basis as I'm sure John has to.

I find it extremely rude for people to park in front of other people's homes.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't see parking outside your house as a right, and I think it's outrageous that you would expect to. If it's that important then live somewhere with a driveway. If you lived that close to the town that it only took ten minutes to go get a paper why didn't your dad just walk there? Or go before church?

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 23 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2009, 04:46 PM) *
I don't see parking outside your house as a right, and I think it's outrageous that you would expect to. If it's that important then live somewhere with a driveway. If you lived that close to the town that it only took ten minutes to go get a paper why didn't your dad just walk there? Or go before church?

The closest place to get the paper would have taken 20-30 minutes to walk there and 20-30 minutes to walk back, that's fine for some people but when you're going to get the paper while breakfast is being made, you dont' want to take an hour. And as church people began arriving at 6:30, I think the last thing you want to do on a sunday is wake up early just so you can park in front of your house when you get back from getting the paper.

You're views are selfish. My boyfriend and I have been looking for a house to buy for the last 6 months and one of our requirements is having a drive. We're having a lot of difficulty finding the right house as everything in our budget either doesn't have a drive or needs so much repair work that we can't afford it in the end. It's not as simple as you make it out!

how about mums who go out for their shopping in their car with their child and return to find there's no where to park in front of her own home and are forced to park far away from their home? They'd have to make several trips to and from their house with their child to get all the shopping in.

How about the elderly? Many of them drive because walking long distances is difficult.

Stop thinking about what's convenient for you and think about who you may be inconveniencing.

+Quote Post
RogerC
post Jul 23 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 216

I simply do not understand why the Council are so determined to drive people away from the town - surely the response to free parking on Thursdays has shown how trade has been buoyed up. Instead of announcing yet more draconian ticket chasing, it would be better to scrap the scheme entirely (saving the hard-pressed local tax-payer money) and concentrate on making the town centre a more attractive place to shop without the constant thought of parking fines. Imagine, too, better footfall will encourage take up of retail units in the much vaunted new developments.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

I don't know where to start. If you want a drive, buy a house with one, if you can't find the ideal house for your budget either spend more money, accept that you'll have to do some work on it, or re assess your other requirements. Secondly, people arriving for church so much so that they're blocking the road at 6:30 am? Sorry frankly I don't believe you. Your point about mothers and their children is kind of valid, but there are ways around it. You said that to park outside someones house is selfish and inconvenient, but unless you solely use public car parks that is impossible so massivley inconvenient for everybody. I think you need to realise that just because you want a permanent space outside your house doesn't mean you should automatically get one, where did you get such a sense of entitlement? The roads are for everybody, they are supplied by the government to be shared and everyone on them (so long as they are legal) have paid to use them.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 23 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (RogerC @ Jul 23 2009, 05:27 PM) *
I simply do not understand why the Council are so determined to drive people away from the town - surely the response to free parking on Thursdays has shown how trade has been buoyed up. Instead of announcing yet more draconian ticket chasing, it would be better to scrap the scheme entirely (saving the hard-pressed local tax-payer money) and concentrate on making the town centre a more attractive place to shop without the constant thought of parking fines. Imagine, too, better footfall will encourage take up of retail units in the much vaunted new developments.

Because parking anarchy would be the result. Residents close to the town centre want to be abe to park ouside their own houses. Not too much to ask is it? As most of the towns car parks are now pay on exit, the only people being ticketed are those trying to avoid paying to park, those who park illegally & where they should not.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Because parking anarchy would be the result. Residents close to the town centre want to be abe to park ouside their own houses. Not too much to ask is it? As most of the towns car parks are now pay on exit, the only people being ticketed are those trying to avoid paying to park, those who park illegally & where they should not.

Seems to work in Gt Bedwyn - not a yellow line to be seen, never mind a warden. Perhaps we should all move there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 23 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) *

While I agree, we all would like to park outside or near to our house, it isn't a right. One doesn't own the land in front of their house. In any case, this is besides the point of the thread; provided one is parked legally, there is nothing a traffic warden can legitimately do to prevent someone parking in front of someone else's house.

If parking near to one's house is important then sadly, one will have to spend more money for it buy buying one with a drive (dropped kerb) or away from the town. I see complaining about the lack of parking in a town house akin to moving to the countryside and complaining about the smell. It goes with the territory.

I sympathise with town dwellers, but at the end of the day, people have a legitimate right to use a public right of way. I will always attempt to avoid parking in front of someone's house, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Seems to work in Gt Bedwyn - not a yellow line to be seen, never mind a warden. Perhaps we should all move there laugh.gif

It works there because nobody lives there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 06:09 PM) *

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 23 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 23 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Yes, we heard you the first time! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 23 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Yes, we heard you the first time! tongue.gif

The saying goes; if it is worth saying then it is worth repeating. Granted, I don't think they had what I said in mind when they created that little ditty laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Slightly off the topic but still related to illegal parking....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...king-clamp.html

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2009, 08:20 PM) *
Slightly off the topic but still related to illegal parking....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...king-clamp.html

Interesting; those clampers are a public nuisance. Obviously the officer was going to a crime therefore shouldn't have been clamped.

Those clampers are worse than traffic wardens.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 23 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 23 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Interesting; those clampers are a public nuisance. Obviously the officer was going to a crime therefore shouldn't have been clamped.

Those clampers are worse than traffic wardens.

I agree that clampers are scumbags, but how would they know it was a police car? It was unmarked. And even so, they still shouldn't park illegally, unless it's an emergency.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 23 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 23 2009, 05:31 PM) *
I don't know where to start. If you want a drive, buy a house with one, if you can't find the ideal house for your budget either spend more money, accept that you'll have to do some work on it, or re assess your other requirements. Secondly, people arriving for church so much so that they're blocking the road at 6:30 am? Sorry frankly I don't believe you.
You seem to have particular trouble empathising with others or taking on board others' views to the point of calling Andrea a liar in the post I have quoted.

I feel sorry for you, perhaps this an Internet forum is not the right place for you if you are this intolerant?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:09 AM