> Traffic Wardens, aka Green Goblind or Civil Enforcement Officers
spartacus
post Jul 30 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

QUOTE (minnie @ Jul 24 2009, 12:10 PM) *
I recently recieved a parking ticket in Bartholomew Street - I had inadvertently parked in an (unmarked) loading bay. The small road signage is very confusing and the council have removed "loading only" white road markings. ................
can the Council not see that they are killing the town by this aggressive enforcement of parking tickets?
I see some of our ramblings have made it to page 2 of the NWN... but without my helpful explanation of why minnie was in the wrong.... jeesh... why do I bovver... rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 30 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The red light has nothing to do with traffic turning into West Street. It's past the junction and is to control one-way traffic in Northbrook Street. I've always ignored it when turning right.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 30 2009, 09:54 PM) *
The red light has nothing to do with traffic turning into West Street. It's past the junction and is to control one-way traffic in Northbrook Street. I've always ignored it when turning right.

I don't know what the legal position is, but there is a big sign that says "when red light shows wait here" that is well before West Street. Presumably you have to go on the wrong side of the road to turn down there unless you are the first car in the queue.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 10:39 PM) *
I don't know what the legal position is, but there is a big sign that says "when red light shows wait here" that is well before West Street. Presumably you have to go on the wrong side of the road to turn down there unless you are the first car in the queue.

JeffG is right. That red light is for Northbrook street so if you want to turn into West Street you can do so whatever the lights say.

I've even seen cars do this while there have been traffic wardens and police by the red lights and nobody battered an eyelid... but then again, and as we have been shown, even if it was a criminal offence they are usually preoccupied with deeper thoughts laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

But it's not for you or Jeff to decide what the light is for, the sign to stop is all the way back by Scoffers. You stop at the sign not at the light, otherise the Robin Hood roundabout would REALLY be a challenge!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #146

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 10:53 PM) *
But it's not for you or Jeff to decide what the light is for, the sign to stop is all the way back by Scoffers. You stop at the sign not at the light, otherise the Robin Hood roundabout would REALLY be a challenge!

It seems - going by the traffic - it is not for anybody to decide as they do it anyway laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 30 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #147

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 10:39 PM) *

You're probably right (after all). But who notices big signs? wink.gif

When I've been that way, there has been no queue and no traffic coming the other way. Of course I would give way to oncoming traffic if there was any. But surely during pedestrian hours, only buses would be affected, wouldn't they?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #148

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 30 2009, 11:28 PM) *
You're probably right (after all). But who notices big signs? wink.gif

When I've been that way, there has been no queue and no traffic coming the other way. Of course I would give way to oncoming traffic if there was any. But surely during pedestrian hours, only buses would be affected, wouldn't they?

Why would buses be affected? They don't go down West Street.

+Quote Post
theoneandonly
post Jul 31 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 226

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 08:07 PM) *
I think I saw that one the other day having a go at drivers who were turning into West Street, ignoring or misunderstanding the temporary red light set up there. If he had done that to tme I'd shout back too, it's not his place. Also I think everyone should abuse and bully them as much as possible, that way they might resign, stop being a burden on the taxpayer and go and do something worthwhile.

But isnt that part of their jobs to be partrolling the streets the make them safer as well. like when they give tickets to people parked on yellow lines. the whole point of yellow lines is that its dangerous to park there. As for you saying that you would shout at them to make them resign, thats terrible! how could you do that to people of our society. All i can say is at least they are out working trying to provide for their familes if they have one.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 31 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #150

Advanced Member

QUOTE (theoneandonly @ Jul 31 2009, 03:36 PM) *
But isnt that part of their jobs to be partrolling the streets the make them safer as well. like when they give tickets to people parked on yellow lines. the whole point of yellow lines is that its dangerous to park there. As for you saying that you would shout at them to make them resign, thats terrible! how could you do that to people of our society. All i can say is at least they are out working trying to provide for their familes if they have one.

No it's not part of their job! And as for trying to provide for their families, so are drug dealers, burglars and chuggers, and I hold them all in the same regard.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #151

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 31 2009, 04:04 PM) *
No it's not part of their job! And as for trying to provide for their families, so are drug dealers, burglars and chuggers, and I hold them all in the same regard.

That is an interesting way lof looking at it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 31 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #152

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 31 2009, 04:04 PM) *

You forgot Politicians & Local Councillors

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 31 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #153

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 30 2009, 08:33 PM) *
I see some of our ramblings have made it to page 2 of the NWN... but without my helpful explanation of why minnie was in the wrong.... jeesh... why do I bovver... rolleyes.gif

The article in the NWN is laughable.

Some Shops - one I think

Brian Burgess' quote that motorists "they look at the sign and the only thing they see on it is '30 minutes'. They don't bother to read the rest of the sign which clearly states this only applies to Saturdays" has to be one of the daftest to have appeared in the NWN for a while. . Quality Journalism there!!

I can't see what the NRA wants - the Traffic Wardens to turn a blind eye? let people stop for 2hrs?

If the bays unrestricted the NRA would be the first to complain - with town centre workers filling them from 8am - 5pm ( no shoppers using them then eh? ) and what about deliveries? There is no other access to some of the shops in the road, so I'd guess the bays are pretty important if you own a shop down there.
The idea behind such parking is that they enable you to park - pop into a shop & move on - surely what Bart Street needs, as for some people those shops are too far from the town centre.

Some people.......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 31 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #154

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 30 2009, 11:46 PM) *
Why would buses be affected? They don't go down West Street.

Stick. Wrong end of.

I meant only buses going up and down Northbrook Street would be affected by the temporary lights during pedestrian hours. Hence no opposing traffic coming through and no queue (because everyone turning into West Street felt the lights didn't apply to them).

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #155

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 31 2009, 08:36 PM) *
Stick. Wrong end of.

I meant only buses going up and down Northbrook Street would be affected by the temporary lights during pedestrian hours. Hence no opposing traffic coming through and no queue (because everyone turning into West Street felt the lights didn't apply to them).

ok

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:41 AM