Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ecstasy, LSD and cannabis
user23
post Oct 29 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

The Government’s chief drug adviser has suggested that Ecstasy, LSD and cannabis are less dangerous than both alcohol and cigarettes

Is it time to for the Police and Council to start looking at the possibility of a Amsterdam style "coffee Shop" in Newbury?

Some might think it's a solution to decrease the binge drinking culture they feel is now prevalent in our society.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 29 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Speaking from personal experience when I was a lot younger.....

Cannabis had little or no affect on me. It was like having a beer.
Skunk weed which is often referred to as 'Cannabis' is totally different. it is akin to a Class A drug and I tried it once and had no feeling in my legs for 3 hours and could not even stand up. Never again.

Amsterdam style coffee shops in Newbury. No thanks. Its bad enough avoiding the drunks. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 29 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 29 2009, 08:25 AM) *
The Government’s chief drug adviser has suggested that Ecstasy, LSD and cannabis are less dangerous than both alcohol and cigarettes

Is it time to for the Police and Council to start looking at the possibility of a Amsterdam style "coffee Shop" in Newbury?

Some might think it's a solution to decrease the binge drinking culture they feel is now prevalent in our society.

I can never understand why this government always seems to come to the conclusion that offering an equally irresponsible alternative will solve a current problem.

Viz, The introduction of 24 hour drinking to stop binge drinking.
Making Cannabis a class C drunk to stop people starting to take drugs.
Allowing areas of cities to become no-go Ghettos to illiminate street violence and gun crime. ie handing areas over to gangs.
The enthuiasm for no-custodial sentences to bring down the level of crime.

It's beyond me.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Simon
post Oct 29 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

Even though i dont agree with pot cafes, i do think that certain drugs should be legalised and taxed removing the criminal activity away from the culture and helping the finances of this country.

I smoked a bit in my younger days and have the occasional puff now and again and it hasnt hurt me. The most dangerous thing about smoking weed is buying it.

I used to go to bournemouth to a club known for the majority of its customers being high on ecstacy and i never witnessed a fight and had some really good times there.

I think the government need to bring in some proper experts on drugs and work out which ones could be legal, not that i think they ever will as it seems a good vote winner to promise to rid the country of drugs full stop, even though no one ever does.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 30 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon @ Oct 29 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Even though i dont agree with pot cafes, i do think that certain drugs should be legalised and taxed removing the criminal activity away from the culture and helping the finances of this country.

I smoked a bit in my younger days and have the occasional puff now and again and it hasnt hurt me. The most dangerous thing about smoking weed is buying it.

I used to go to bournemouth to a club known for the majority of its customers being high on ecstacy and i never witnessed a fight and had some really good times there.

I think the government need to bring in some proper experts on drugs and work out which ones could be legal, not that i think they ever will as it seems a good vote winner to promise to rid the country of drugs full stop, even though no one ever does.
If one was going to legalise only two drugs, alcohol and nicotine would probably be among the worst choices.

Taking the control of drugs out of the hands of criminals would be a good thing in my view.

Perhaps it's time to face up tot he fact that a large percentage of the population everyone enjoys the use of drugs, legal or otherwise.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 30 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

So the prof got the sack as a Government advisor for doing science, rather than politics... wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 30 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 30 2009, 08:10 PM) *
So the prof got the sack as a Government advisor for doing science, rather than politics... wacko.gif

My thoughts exactly when I saw the news tonight. Something wrong somewhere - messenger, shooting, comes to mind?

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 31 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 30 2009, 08:10 PM) *
Does seem a bit daft and it's indicative of the closed minded view some have on drugs.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 31 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 29 2009, 08:25 AM) *
The Government's chief drug adviser has suggested that Ecstasy, LSD and cannabis are less dangerous than both alcohol and cigarettes. Is it time to for the Police and Council to start looking at the possibility of a Amsterdam style "coffee Shop" in Newbury? Some might think it's a solution to decrease the binge drinking culture they feel is now prevalent in our society.

In my experience, many that enjoy the binge drinking so loathed in the press and elsewhere, are likely to enjoy experimenting with said drugs as well. The deregulation argument was used for drinking, but it seems to have made matters worse to police.

The danger of one thing compared to another, shouldn't in my view, necessarily mean that either should be treated any lighter. It is likely that if all the above were only discovered now, none would be made legal.

All that being said, the 'war on drugs' is failing and perhaps the biggest argument for some form of legalisation, would be to reduce the amount of crime that surrounds the illegal drugs trade. I understand that 80% of burglaries are committed to fund drug users habits. If drugs were made cheaper. Perhaps the incidence of burglaries would fall. Having said that, look at the impact of cheap alcohol is having on society.

QUOTE (Simon @ Oct 29 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Having alcohol and nicotine legal hasn't removed the illegal trade in them.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Oct 31 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Half the row seems to be about the decision being made against the available scientific facts.

Well hang on a minute, decisions can't be made just on what one side say. Politicians (whether we like it or not) have to make decisions based on public opinion too. If I recall, the last survey done said the public don't want cannabis downgraded.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 31 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Hang on another minute: was 24-hour drinking introduced because of public opinion? The public that now drinks to excess, introducing young people's (potentially fatal) health problems the like of which has never been seen before?

Methinks the prof was right - abuse of alcohol has far more serious consequences than the misuse of any of these other drugs.

(And this from someone who enjoys the occasional pint, and a glass of wine with his meal.)

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Nov 1 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Surely it is the right of any adult to partake of whatever particular vice he or she see fit .
The exceptions arise when the results of such actions affect others .

Ask anyone who has an alcoholic as a family member and they will tell of mental torment and violent threats .

In a nutshell , anyone can abuse themselves , but no one has the right to abuse others .

Legislation won't stop it , so why even try . The answer lies within our own conscience every time we enter that twilight world . angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Nov 1 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (lordtup @ Nov 1 2009, 03:31 PM) *
Surely it is the right of any adult to partake of whatever particular vice he or she see fit .

That's fine just as long as the rest of us aren't expected to pay for the NHS to sort out any damage at a later date.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 1 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (lordtup @ Nov 1 2009, 03:31 PM) *

Which they invariably do.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Nov 2 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Darren @ Oct 31 2009, 02:31 PM) *
If I recall, the last survey done said the public don't want cannabis downgraded.

What Survey is this? I have never been asked whether cannabis should be class a, class b, class c or even legal

The problem with people filling in the survey is that they get confused between the so called facts and fiction of the subject. They believe what they read in papers and what polititcians say.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 2 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Scientist use to say that smoking was in fact good for you and recommended certain brands, as did doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

+Quote Post
Roost
post Nov 2 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Not to mention "Guiness is good for you"!!

A slogan I took to heart at a very young age.

Mind you, I'm not sure which of the usual 12 pints of the black stuff is the better one.......

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 2 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #18

Guests

Comparing cannabis resin to skunk is like comparing regular Carling to Tennants Super.

Thats the problem all pot/weed/hash/ is categorised together whereas in truth, as someone has already mentioned on here the strengths and effects are completely different.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Nov 2 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

Apparently Alan Johnson sacked Prof. Nutt because his job is to advise rather than criticise. Well apparently Mr Johnson knows for sure that in his constituency kids are more likely to have a drugs overdose than a horse riding accident, this after the comments from the professor.

Now was Johnson's comment based on scientific fact, I don't think so.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 2 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 1 2009, 08:12 PM) *
Which they invariably do.
Invariably they don't actually.

The actions of the vast majority of people who use recreational drugs don't affect others.
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 2 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Comparing cannabis resin to skunk is like comparing regular Carling to Tennants Super.

Thats the problem all pot/weed/hash/ is categorised together whereas in truth, as someone has already mentioned on here the strengths and effects are completely different.
If it were legal it could be classified by strength like cigarettes or alcohol are.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:58 PM