> Do Sainsbury's care?
GMR
post May 18 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Do Sanisbury's care?

I regularly shop at Newbury's large Sainsbury (mostly I go by bike). Last week I reported the bike racks were damaged/ vandalised. I went to see one of their managers and I was told that they will deal with it immediately. I've been going there every day since and nothing has been done. As I've been reporting it every day I've been getting the same old story. Today I happen to be their when I saw a woman trying to chain her bike to the damaged rack and it upturned and sent her flying. I went to assist her and I told her to make a complaint. She wouldn't, but she said she won't shop there anymore. I went to their service area and asked to speak to the manager and was told she was in a meeting. I checked with a friend of mine who works there who said she wasn't in a meeting at all. She knew what I wanted to see her about and took the cowards away out. Not very friendly customer relationship.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

While I am having this rant; I also reported that the Visa keypad has been sticking since last year (a certain two numbers always stick). I asked the girls why hasn't anything been done about it and they said they keep reporting it (this is at the cigarette kiosk). When I spoke to one of the managers a couple of days ago she said that if something was reported they would deal with it straight away... which isn't true. Why can't they be honest and tell the truth?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 18 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think it has gone downhill since the refurb. I bought some crockery sets from there and three main plates and two small ones have cracked in the dishwasher despite being "dishwasher safe" I could not get replacements or a refund, all I got was an argument. Tesco is usually packed and a bit chavvy but they always deal with complaints brilliantly.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 18 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

What annoys me is the attitude from some of the senior staff.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 18 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ May 18 2010, 11:01 PM) *
What annoys me is the attitude from some of the senior staff.

Never mind - You have a nice shiney new Tesco on London road now.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 18 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 18 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Never mind - You have a nice shiney new Tesco on London road now.

True. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
urZah
post May 18 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 378

Having worked in retail, you sound like the worst customer ever.
Is that really the only bike rack they have???

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 18 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (urZah @ May 18 2010, 11:28 PM) *

I've also worked in retail and we took customers complaints seriously. And it doesn't matter whether it is the only bike rack they have or it is one of a million.... what was there was dangerous - as I pointed out - and they should have secured the area to prevent other accidents happening. You obviously don't believe in customer service or the welfare of customers.

The reason we get such sloppy service is because people don't stand up for their rights and make their concerns heard.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 18 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Having worked in retail, you sound like the worst customer ever. Is that really the only bike rack they have???

Why? I note you used the word 'worked', presumably you moved on to something more suitable perhaps? tongue.gif

As far as I can tell, Sainsbury's management don't give a stuff about GMR's custom. I'd advise him to shop else where. wink.gif

GMR - Have you noticed how feeble the floor bolts are that used to secure the bike rack? I'm not sure I would wish to trust my pride and joy to such shoddy security. It is no wonder it has broken away.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 19 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #9

Guests

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

No matter what the big chains say to the contrary, they know that they have forced virtually all local convenience stores to close and as they now have a virtual monopoly on the lower to middle portion of the consumer market they can afford not to be so customer caring.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 19 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Wish the condemnation of Sainsburys could also be focused on the vandals who damaged the bike rack in the first place.

The managers photo is in the foyer, Leigh Brown, and he looks very male to me.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 19 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

And that's the best example of why retail in this country is so poor.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 19 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 19 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Wish the condemnation of Sainsburys could also be focused on the vandals who damaged the bike rack in the first place. The managers photo is in the foyer, Leigh Brown, and he looks very male to me.

It's not that the rack is vandalised as such, only that Sainsbury's have allegedly fobbed a customer off when a complaint is made. BTW - a manger could be a store manager, relief manger, a departmental manger, or GMR could be bullsh*tting! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 19 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ May 19 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

No matter what the big chains say to the contrary, they know that they have forced virtually all local convenience stores to close and as they now have a virtual monopoly on the lower to middle portion of the consumer market they can afford not to be so customer caring.

Sainsbury etc have not forced anyone out of business. The evaporating customer loyalty did that.
If, like in France ( which paradoxically is home to the bigggest grocer in Europe - Carrefour ), the retail customer had never abandoned the local shop & market in their millions, we'd still have a thriving local retail economy.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 19 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Supermarkets didn't force businesses out, but their trading policies certainly made it harder for the small businesses to buy wholesale at a competitive rate.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 19 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 19 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Supermarkets didn't force businesses out, but their trading policies certainly made it harder for the small businesses to buy wholesale at a competitive rate.

But, if the customer had remained loyal.....and had recieved good service, then the shops would have stayed open.
Griffins is a good example.

The actual prcies charged in the supermarkets on staples isn't that cheap. Sure, they have loss leaders on Nescafe etc, but make it all back up on the things they are not discounting.
The French must be more savvy shoppers....

+Quote Post
user23
post May 19 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2010, 07:58 PM) *
But, if the customer had remained loyal.....and had recieved good service, then the shops would have stayed open.
Griffins is a good example.
Spot on, if the service is good enough then customers will stay loyal.

Just look at what's happened with this alleged example of bad service at Sainsburys.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 19 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2010, 07:58 PM) *
The actual prcies charged in the supermarkets on staples isn't that cheap. Sure, they have loss leaders on Nescafe etc, but make it all back up on the things they are not discounting. The French must be more savvy shoppers....

Or are prepared spend proportionally more of their income on groceries than we do. A for quality, the supermarkets in France that I have shopped in, supplied stuff that would drive you to an independent store!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I wrote to their customer service who wrote to the manager; this was his reply.

Glenn

Thanks for the notice of the bike rack I have removed it myself bike attached and all, I am disappointed it was not removed straight away and will look into why we failed to take action. All 400 people in my store including myself work tirelessly to give our customer the best experience we can in our store and the use of our facilities if you have any other problems feel free to email or speak to myself in store I am always on the shop floor

Many thanks

Leigh Brown

Store Mgr

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 19 2010, 12:27 AM) *
Why? I note you used the word 'worked', presumably you moved on to something more suitable perhaps? tongue.gif

As far as I can tell, Sainsbury's management don't give a stuff about GMR's custom. I'd advise him to shop else where. wink.gif

GMR - Have you noticed how feeble the floor bolts are that used to secure the bike rack? I'm not sure I would wish to trust my pride and joy to such shoddy security. It is no wonder it has broken away.

I agree... I wasn't very happy when I first saw them. And the racks themselves are rubbish. They obviously care about their bike customers.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 19 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Wish the condemnation of Sainsburys could also be focused on the vandals who damaged the bike rack in the first place.

The managers photo is in the foyer, Leigh Brown, and he looks very male to me.

I wonder if they care... this isn't the first time it happened. I would imagine bike riders are a low priority.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:13 AM