Reply to this topicStart new topic
> String Leader Model, West Berks Council to accept proposal on Thursday
Richard Garvie
post Dec 4 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

We've discussed this already, but I still can't find details of the council consultation online and view the responses. I did find this:

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/mgC...DF.aspx?ID=4711

A number of flaws in the process from what I can see: Only a report on the strong leader model was made available, would it not be fair to see reports on both models? The mayor option is apparently wrong for West Berks as it "introduces the prospect of personality into local politics"!!! Point 2.5 suggests that the lack of response to the consultation could be because "people accept the councils position or the issue disn't engage with resident" - I would suggest that people were unaware of this consultation. It also states that the Mayoral option is "not an option as it was ruled out previously". Point 2.3 The local strategice partnership board had no comment on the strong leader model. What it doesn't tell you is that if you look furter down the document, they requested the Mayoral system.

Is it just me, or were they determined not to even consider the Mayoral system? As a party, we have decided to ask for a proper consultation on the basis that the public have been bringing it up with us eg. "Why don't we have an elected Mayor like London" or "Why can't we elect the person to lead the council". If Graham Jones refuses to hold a consultation, we have decided that we will call for a referendum on the issue in order to give residents an opportunity to take part in the future leadership process.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 4 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I was at first confused by what a string leader was. I thought it might have been someone jerked around by the salaried WBC employees but then realised it was just a typo. Fat finger trouble or down the pub for lunch perhaps.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 4 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

What ever sympathy I had for the present ruling administration is fast evaporating. This report is self serving rubbish. First, what is the issue about bringing personality into local politics? Answer, the present lot have no personalities - on either side. Second - there was little response to the public consultation. Of course - if you don't tell anyone its going on what do you expect? This isn't the first time where 'public meetings' and such like are arranged but not publicised. Democracy - but not as we know it.

I can quite understand not taking the mayor idea forward as it was ruled out before. That follows the strict West Berkshire institutional thinking process. For example - Park Way Bridge - one way was good enough in 1940 so its good enough today.

Strong leadership? Frankly any leadership would be better than what we have today - null leadership!

We really have to sort this out and that must also mean enabling the very busy but capable people who could add value to play their rightful part. That means getting rid of the cumbersome bureacracies that can only be influenced by those not in gainful employment or retired.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 4 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Sorry for the typo, I type so fast some times and rarely read over my posts until it's been published!!!

What we need in West Berkshire is a change in how the council conducts it's business, and if there are not 52 people willing to put in the effort required, lets cut back on the number of councillors. To have very few people contributing to the decision making process with the rest of them there just to vote through policy is a con job. I really hope that we can get a few different people into the chamber this time around. Obviously I'll be hoping we get quite a few Labour members, but if there were a number of independents and other small parties represented, we would be able to make decisions on issues and in the interest of the wider public, not the interests of Graham Jones and a couple of cronies.

I still have my own thoughts about how the mayoral system might work in West Berkshire, but if the Tories won't allow a genuine consultation on the matter, how will people establish the full facts for themselves?

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 5 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Isn't the String Leader Model just likely to create a puppet government?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 5 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 4 2010, 02:07 PM) *
Sorry for the typo, I type so fast some times and rarely read over my posts until it's been published!!!

All ready to be an MP. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 5 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 5 2010, 11:17 AM) *
All ready to be an MP. tongue.gif

haha!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 5 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 5 2010, 11:08 AM) *
Isn't the String Leader Model just likely to create a puppet government?

Where's the groan imoticon? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 5 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I'm sure that one will be in a cracker wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:24 AM