Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A34 Light phasing, traffic jams today
Strafin
post Nov 18 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

Did anyone get caught in the traffic this morning heading North towards Chievley? I got stuck for about half an hour but it was a lot worse for many people. I noticed this evening that the queue was all the way back up to Tesco from the Chievley roundabout and have been informed it is all down to the new light phasing. I have never seen it so bad, can it be down just to the phasing and if so, how long before they sort it out, I predict Hermitage/Curridge will be packed tomorrow with people avoiding it - including me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Nov 19 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 18 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Did anyone get caught in the traffic this morning heading North towards Chievley? I got stuck for about half an hour but it was a lot worse for many people. I noticed this evening that the queue was all the way back up to Tesco from the Chievley roundabout and have been informed it is all down to the new light phasing. I have never seen it so bad, can it be down just to the phasing and if so, how long before they sort it out, I predict Hermitage/Curridge will be packed tomorrow with people avoiding it - including me!

It is just the phasing on the northbound side which is causing the problem, the others seem to be fine. There is someone there working on them and has been all yesterday and was there at 0650 this morning.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Nov 19 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 18 2009, 10:35 PM) *

Your prediction didn't happen or perhaps everyone took your advice wink.gif

+Quote Post
Angry of Hungerf...
post Dec 1 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 489

Problems with Traffic lights in the Newbury area seems to be an ongoing issue.

I thought I had read that with the instalation of the new lights at the Robinhood things would improve - have they? have they heck as like!!!!

If I remember correctly it was publicised that if I approached either the Robinhood from the North or the Police stn roundabout from the south and hit either sets on green, as long as I proceeded at the speed limit, then I would meet the next set on green as well - they were supposed to be "link - phased"

Are they? in my opinion they traffic jams in this part of town are worse since the lights were installed.... and even since Market street reverting to two traffic it really hasn't got any better.

angry.gif

--------------------
Angry and ALWAYS angry - but still loving life :-)

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 1 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Angry of Hungerford @ Dec 1 2009, 01:27 AM) *
If I remember correctly it was publicised that if I approached either the Robinhood from the North or the Police stn roundabout from the south and hit either sets on green, as long as I proceeded at the speed limit, then I would meet the next set on green as well - they were supposed to be "link - phased"
Where did you see this publicised?

As a regular user of that road and path the traffic seems a lot better to me.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 1 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

even since Market street reverting to two traffic it really hasn't got any better.

?? Since Market Street re-opened both ways it's got worse. Now the traffic from Park Way backs up on to the bridge because it can't get out at the T-junction/mini roundabout. Particularly frustrating for anyone wanting to turn right into Market Street, because that junction is only a single lane wide. (They should take part of the off-licence car park to widen the mouth of the junction, which is what they should have done when they knocked down the Rising Sun in the first place.)

+Quote Post
Andy
post Dec 1 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

Problems with Traffic lights in the Newbury area seems to be an ongoing issue.

I thought I had read that with the instalation of the new lights at the Robinhood things would improve - have they? have they heck as like!!!!

Are they? in my opinion they traffic jams in this part of town are worse since the lights were installed.... and even since Market street reverting to two traffic it really hasn't got any better.

angry.gif

Don't agree with RHR being worse, have found it much better since the revamp.

Even during rush hour traffic it is busy but continues to move along. Problems seem to arise when the Sainsbury's roundabout traffic backs up to the RH as you the inevitably get a few idiots blocking the junctions which then has a knock on effect

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Dec 1 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

IMO, what is needed is to take the Sainsbury's roundabout out of the equation for the majority of traffic.

This could be done by building a two lane (one lane north and one lane south) flyover from the outside lane in each direction.

Heavy/large vehicles and those wishing to leave the A339 at this point use the left hand lane into the traffic light controlled roundabout. Those in light vehicles continue from the outside lane over the flyover unhindered by either the lights or the roundabout.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Dec 1 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 1 2009, 03:12 PM) *
IMO, what is needed is to take the Sainsbury's roundabout out of the equation for the majority of traffic.

This could be done by building a two lane (one lane north and one lane south) flyover from the outside lane in each direction.

Heavy/large vehicles and those wishing to leave the A339 at this point use the left hand lane into the traffic light controlled roundabout. Those in light vehicles continue from the outside lane over the flyover unhindered by either the lights or the roundabout.

Whoa!!! Flyover for a market town!!! You'll surely get some stick for that on here laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 1 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 1 2009, 03:12 PM) *

why don't vehicles travelling N - S, or S - N, use the A34? It is what it was built for. Even those coming along the A339 from Basingstoke & not wishing to stop in Newbury would find it quicker to use the Tot Hill slip road.
If you are suggesting we build a flyover & blight Newbury just for the convenience of those travelling from one end of Newbury to the other, well.......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 1 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

One of the original options for the "bypass" was to take it on stilts through the centre of town, effectively making the ring road double-deck. Needless to say, this was the least-favoured option wink.gif

Rather than a flyover, there should be an N-S underpass at this junction. (With a pedestrian bridge to replace the lost subway, maybe.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:29 AM