IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Community Radio for West Berkshire, Want to get involved?
Richard Garvie
post Aug 14 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

I think the main benefit of a community station is what else it can be used for other than broadcasting. A community station can attract much funding, why not use it as a catalyst to revamp a disused building facility into something for greater community use? The Priory in Thatcham was my original thought, but why not the Air Traffic Control Tower at the Common? Split use with broadcast studio's, offices and meeting rooms for local groups and charities to use, a museum on the groad floor etc.

Although the primary function of the station would be to provide a service with local news / information and programming for young people in the evening, the facilities could be used for media training, working with people such as the unemployed / students to improve confidence / speaking skills, provide work placements for people and other bits. There is far greater value than simply providing a platform to broadcast.

It all depends on what backing and support is out there, and a small number of dedicated people to drive the project forward.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 14 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 14 2012, 08:13 PM) *
........., it would be good if NTC would promote a pervasive internet access service in town, but I see that as another topic. Perhaps a BID thing maybe?

Doesn't have to be NTC, Holland in particular has a number of community examples; where access was provided by the local people themselves.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 14 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Aug 14 2012, 09:05 PM) *
I think the main benefit of a community station is what else it can be used for other than broadcasting. A community station can attract much funding, why not use it as a catalyst to revamp a disused building facility into something for greater community use? The Priory in Thatcham was my original thought, but why not the Air Traffic Control Tower at the Common? Split use with broadcast studio's, offices and meeting rooms for local groups and charities to use, a museum on the groad floor etc.

Although the primary function of the station would be to provide a service with local news / information and programming for young people in the evening, the facilities could be used for media training, working with people such as the unemployed / students to improve confidence / speaking skills, provide work placements for people and other bits. There is far greater value than simply providing a platform to broadcast.

It all depends on what backing and support is out there, and a small number of dedicated people to drive the project forward.

It certainly provides a great and potentially sustainable real community opportunity, but as you so rightly say, dependent on support.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 14 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 14 2012, 09:12 PM) *
Doesn't have to be NTC, Holland in particular has a number of community examples; where access was provided by the local people themselves.

I suggested NTC or the BID promote it, not necessarily pay for it; the idea being to be something to offer potential customers and users of the town. Like I hinted, some might find the idea of 'gangs of youths' hanging around simply to use free internet access, less than attractive. Anyway, I think this is another topic.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 14 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

If Source FM is anything to go by it will take a lot of dedicated people.

Start a Facebook group for it and what interest it gets.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 14 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 14 2012, 09:24 PM) *
I suggested NTC or the BID promote it, not necessarily pay for it; the idea being to be something to offer potential customers and users of the town. Like I hinted, some might find the idea of 'gangs of youths' hanging around simply to use free internet access, less than attractive. Anyway, I think this is another topic.

Sorry - I'll shut up again!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 14 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 14 2012, 09:42 PM) *
If Source FM is anything to go by it will take a lot of dedicated people.

I'd be surprised if there weren't enough people in and around Newbury who would want to get involved in something like this, but I do wonder what audiance there would be. Like you say, the niche would seem to be rather full. Getting the thing off the ground as an internet radio station might be an idea.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 14 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 14 2012, 10:23 PM) *
Sorry - I'll shut up again!

I'm sorry but suggesting something is for another topic is not the same as telling someone what they should do, if that is what you are getting at. I just think internet access in town is a good idea and a topic that deserves it's own thread, rather than mixing it up here.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Aug 14 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Yeah the forum police are on your tail. Be getting your own thread next.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Aug 15 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

Although the primary function of the station would be to provide a service with local news / information...

So its primary function would be to provide what we already have in abundance through print and digital media?

People want cheap/free Internet access to watch/listen to what they want.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 15 2012, 08:35 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Aug 15 2012, 09:25 AM) *
So its primary function would be to provide what we already have in abundance through print and digital media?

You might be right, but the commercial syndicated station(s) we have are/is often complained off as being generic. I wonder if there might be space for an 'alternative' style news/ information station. I have my doubts, although people trying new starts that involve community spirited enterprise is a good thing I feel.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Aug 15 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

If you really are serious about this then you should be looking at a central location so staff/volunteers can access easily, premises need only be a small business unit or similar, Stick to internet streaming, don't forget you will need a revenue stream ( to pay expenses and royalties) tech expertise and a constant and steady supplies of volunteers. and above all, start small, remember K.I.S.S. you can always expand later.

Keep content mixed ie; chat, local affairs and music and above all don't let it become a soap box for local politico's and malcontents who want to rant on above disputes with the council.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 15 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Why must it be for young people? Why not make it for all people?

The young are probably the least likely to want a radio service - as has been pointed out they are more likely to get info from their phone than an old fashioned thing like radio.

The elderly are probably the most in need of a good local news service - many are losing their sight and would welcome an afternoon or mid-morning local news programme.

Keep piped music to a minimum - by all means showcase local bands in the evenings but avoid at all costs getting thought of in terms of the music played - nothing is more likely to narrow the appeal of the station.

Give local groups access and publicity - broadcast events when possible. Events could be anything from a Spring Festival concert, the Remembrance Day service, an open mike at a local pub or a talk to a local society.

Have a local sports programme with commentary on local matches (football, rugby, cricket, etc).

Have regular features on local interest topics - from the activities of local companies in, for instance, science and technology, to local history or the arts.

And provide podcasts for those who can't catch a programme live.

In short, provide a record of life in this town/locality not just another outlet for the record industry.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 15 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Penelope @ Aug 15 2012, 10:39 AM) *
If you really are serious about this then you should be looking at a central location so staff/volunteers can access easily, premises need only be a small business unit or similar, Stick to internet streaming, don't forget you will need a revenue stream ( to pay expenses and royalties) tech expertise and a constant and steady supplies of volunteers. and above all, start small, remember K.I.S.S. you can always expand later.

Keep content mixed ie; chat, local affairs and music and above all don't let it become a soap box for local politico's and malcontents who want to rant on above disputes with the council.

All sensible ideas there I think, although a weekly slot to rant at or by authority figures would potentially be a novel and amusing idea!

+Quote Post
Simon
post Aug 15 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I like the idea of this, and I think so would many others. I remember something like this 10 years ago (think it went on to become Kick Fm) where they used volunteers to run the station, produce the shows and be DJ's.

I used to like that as it allowed specific shows such as the rock hour, hop hop shows etc where you could tune in at a specific time to listen to the types of music you don't normally hear on the radio.

Plus the contests were quite good, and more chance of winning with a smaller less commercial audience.

Would love to see this happen, but would be dependent on the right people getting involved

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Aug 17 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Problem is, how many people actually listen to the radio these days? CDs and iPods for the music... BBC News and maybe a local paper for.. well, the news ..

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 17 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

From JSH's latest Greenham newsletter:

Community Radio for Newbury and Thatcham

Now that Newbury Sound is no more and regional radio group The Breeze has closed its Newbury studios, plans are being made for a truly local community radio station, run by local people for local people. A meeting is being held in Newbury’s Town Hall on 26th September at 7pm to explain what it’s all about, and how people can get involved.

Volunteers are needed behind the scenes as well as in front of the microphones, so if you are interested in finding out what you can do, please come along.

Please LIKE the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/KennetRadio.
And for more info and to book a free place at the meeting, go to www.kennetradio.com.

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Sep 17 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

Surely there is a requirement for a good quality radio station? I have 6 pre-sets in my car from when I purchased it (Radio 1, Radio 2, Classic FM, Breeze, Heart and Radio 4).

Some mornings you can flip from station to station and be unable to find something or someone you want to listen to. Classic FM is usually a saviour unless they have some regency style stuff on.
Radio 2 and 4 send me to sleep (perhaps I am not old enough to appreciate them yet), Heart and Breeze have the most annoying jingles (windows, tyres, man and van etc) and their playlists seem to be limited to Take That and Natalie Imbruglia. Radio 1- well now that chubby twirp has left, maybe there will be some decent music in the morning but not likely.

Thing is, you can't be all things to all people and won't be able to please everyone.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 17 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Sep 17 2012, 10:20 AM) *
From JSH's latest Greenham newsletter:

Community Radio for Newbury and Thatcham

Now that Newbury Sound is no more and regional radio group The Breeze has closed its Newbury studios, plans are being made for a truly local community radio station, run by local people for local people. A meeting is being held in Newbury’s Town Hall on 26th September at 7pm to explain what it’s all about, and how people can get involved.

Volunteers are needed behind the scenes as well as in front of the microphones, so if you are interested in finding out what you can do, please come along.

Please LIKE the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/KennetRadio.
And for more info and to book a free place at the meeting, go to www.kennetradio.com.

I've already Liked the page as it happens, but if JSH and the town hall maffia are involved I want nothing to do with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 17 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 17 2012, 09:50 PM) *
I've already Liked the page as it happens, but if JSH and the town hall maffia are involved I want nothing to do with it.

Hmm, now I'm confised. I thought Richard Garvie was launching Kennet Radio - here's it's Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/kennet.radi but that's not the same page as the Kennet Radio being promoted by blackdog in association with the Town Council (http://www.facebook.com/KennetRadio) which would appear to be a separate JSH business as he's the domain registra of KennetRadio.com - see here. I assume JSH is paying for the hire of the town hall to promote this thing, I seem to remember them being very particular about the cash they expected for a similar meeting that RG wanted to arrange.

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:26 PM