> Cluck cluck wars
SirWilliam
post Jul 26 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40726208

This is a little more serious than a new flavoured chicken dish. Obviously our new found best buddy in the form of the USA views the Uk as a dumping ground for it's over production of food , we , in contrast , seem unable to grasp the importance of feeding our nation .
The original concept of the Common Market was to safeguard European farmers against fluctuating global food production. A couple of major conflicts tend to focus the thinking on such things.
Little doubt what started with good intention escalated into a eurofest of rich land owners getting richer and inefficient peasant farmers surviving in a market place that was anything but a mirror of market forces. Whatever the pros and cons the fact remains that our shop shelves are full , seasonal produce is a thing of the past and it is still very much affordable .
This could we change dramatically if Grove and co don't get their act together. It is doubtful that the EU Countries will not see to continuing shipping their produce over the Channel but if we do place some form of tit for tat levy we may become a food dumping ground in order to placate the great unwashed who are used to cheap available produce.
Long term we need to get home grown production working but it will need planning by those who know about these things as opposed to those who think they do.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 26 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The rush to free trade deals is a rush down the slope to lower standards - EU trade deals are not free trade deals, they enforce standards aiming (not always succeeding) to ensure goods coming into the EU are to the same standard as those manufactured/grown within the EU. The Brexiteers are so desperate for deals that I fear they will sell our standards down the river in order to get deals the can spin as benefists of Brexit.

The EU has been negotiating a deal with the US for years - a deal that horrified many in the UK. Odds are that a UK/US deal will be on worse (to the UK) terms.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 26 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 26 2017, 11:55 AM) *
The original concept of the Common Market was to safeguard European farmers against fluctuating global food production. A couple of major conflicts tend to focus the thinking on such things.

I'm sorry, but that is simply wrong. The EEC evolved as a customs union and common market from the European Coal and Steel Community and Euratom.

CAP was an add on to protect small, inefficient French farmers as a cost of this evolution; it was never the reason in first principles

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 26 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Mind, we've always sold out on our standards. Supermarkets still unload EU pig meat, etc.etc. because they 'know' we won't pay more! Big question then becomes are we willing to properly enforce our own standards when we exit EU?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 26 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 26 2017, 06:34 PM) *
Mind, we've always sold out on our standards. Supermarkets still unload EU pig meat, etc.etc. because they 'know' we won't pay more! Big question then becomes are we willing to properly enforce our own standards when we exit EU?

At the moment our standards are the EU standards - and will pass into UK law via the repeal bill - the measure will be whether we relax or tighten them.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jul 26 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 26 2017, 03:11 PM) *
I'm sorry, but that is simply wrong. The EEC evolved as a customs union and common market from the European Coal and Steel Community and Euratom.

CAP was an add on to protect small, inefficient French farmers as a cost of this evolution; it was never the reason in first principles

Ok so thank you for the history lesson. We all know the CAP didn't come into effect until 10 years after the signing of the Treaty of Paris which lead to the ECSC and the Treaty of Rome, but my point is that we can't eat coal and if we fudge the question of our food production we may go a little hungry before to long.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 26 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 26 2017, 06:44 PM) *
At the moment our standards are the EU standards - and will pass into UK law via the repeal bill - the measure will be whether we relax or tighten them.

Ah yes, so our amimal welfare standards are UK only; but retail standards are EU much lower. Which in our greed based culture neatly defeats the animal welfare lobby. So Mummy's conscience about how well Pinky and Perkie are looked after but she can still get abundant supply of cheap EU bacon for Daddy's dinner. How clever. So American chicken will be quite OK, they don't feel a thing....ever.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 26 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 26 2017, 07:44 PM) *
Ok so thank you for the history lesson. We all know the CAP didn't come into effect until 10 years after the signing of the Treaty of Paris which lead to the ECSC and the Treaty of Rome, but my point is that we can't eat coal and if we fudge the question of our food production we may go a little hungry before too long.

It was the CAP that led to over-production, wine lakes and butter mountains - which led to a modicum of reform to reduce production to saner levels. If we want to be self sufficeint in food production more protectionist measures like the CAP will be needed - we simply can't compete on production costs (farm to market) with, for instance, Canadia wheat. However, our Brexit inspiration is to develop free trade agreements with countries like Canada - we will never be self sufficient in wheat, one of, if not the, largest single crops in our food supply.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 26 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Now forgive me for being a snob but I buy free range chicken. The idea of buying a chicken reared in substandard battery farms before being dipped in Chlorine is hardly appealing. It may end up in some dodgy kebab or other fast food restaurant but I wont be eating any of that *****. I think the yanks will find that the Britsh people in general won't touch it with a bargepole.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 27 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 26 2017, 11:53 PM) *
Now forgive me for being a snob but I buy free range chicken. The idea of buying a chicken reared in substandard battery farms before being dipped in Chlorine is hardly appealing. It may end up in some dodgy kebab or other fast food restaurant but I wont be eating any of that *****. I think the yanks will find that the Britsh people in general won't touch it with a bargepole.

Good, the power of the market at work. It really does come down to us; but as we see, day by day, our peers and neighbours often act differently and price is their only determinant. Nonetheless, its their choice and that's what free markets are all about.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 27 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

While a significant minority may be fussier the British people in general will buy whatever is cheapest. Chlorine dipped? Will the consumer know? Will the packaging show it in words big enough to read?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 27 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 27 2017, 12:34 PM) *
While a significant minority may be fussier the British people in general will buy whatever is cheapest. Chlorine dipped? Will the consumer know? Will the packaging show it in words big enough to read?

Indeed, and will they even care?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 27 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I've eaten worse.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 27 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 27 2017, 06:01 PM) *
I've eaten worse.

High end shops will be able to advertise they use branded chlorine too, not just any old lav cleaner.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 PM