Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Men CAN multi task!
Jacklets
post May 21 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

Yesterday I was amazed to see a guy managing to drive whilst holding a mobile phone to his ear with one hand AND hold a cigarette in the other - as if that wasn't bad enough - he had a child in the car.

He then discarded the still smoking stub by throwing it out of the window on to a very dry grass patch - but guess it was near the fire station!

and he probably thinks women are bad drivers ...............

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 21 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Jacklets @ May 21 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Yesterday I was amazed to see a guy managing to drive whilst holding a mobile phone to his ear with one hand AND hold a cigarette in the other - as if that wasn't bad enough - he had a child in the car.

He then discarded the still smoking stub by throwing it out of the window on to a very dry grass patch - but guess it was near the fire station!

and he probably thinks women are bad drivers ...............

Granted what you saw should be taken seriously, but with the title attributing to us blokes, I'm sure you have opened a can of worms!! ohmy.gif Drivers (or not) are drivers, regardless of gender.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 21 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Can of worms coming up: most of the drivers I see speeding when walking along Fifth Road are 30-something women.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 21 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 21 2010, 03:49 PM) *
Can of worms coming up: most of the drivers I see speeding when walking along Fifth Road are 30-something women.

'cause you're making them nervous! wink.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post May 21 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

I think there are equally bad drivers between men, women, young and old. I personally am more afraid when I see someone young behind me because the majority of the time when I have they have been so far up my boot I can count their fillings. Some of them have shot off around me whether it was safe to do so or not and sped off into the distance. If the tragic news of Mark Ivermee http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13377 does not teach these youngsters a lesson I don't know what will. I personally try very hard not to go over the speed limit but when people are up my backside getting irate it can be very unnerving. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_NewburytoNowhere_*
post May 22 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Guests

The amount of times I have been stuck behind an idiot on a dual carrigeway or motorway, to then realise (when overtaking) they are on the phone, infuriates me!

Penalties should be tougher for a crime I don't think is taken seriously enough. Roads are dangerous enough as they are, you don't need someone driving in a similar style to a 7 year old all, with arms out wide, as they go down a hill on their pushbike!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 22 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't think using a mobile phone is that big of a deal, but I drive an automatic. I had a motorhome drive literally over my bonnet yesterday because the old chap driving was completely oblivious to everything around him. He didn't even notice - I had to chase and then flag him down. I think elderly people are as bigger a danger as any other group. I think a retest at 60, then after that every 5 years should be in order. I don't mean a full on test, but some sort of competancy review.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 22 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

You think 60 is elderly? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 22 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Maybe 65 for men....

+Quote Post
Ron
post May 22 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 22 2010, 02:32 PM) *
Maybe 65 for men....

I don't see where age comes into it. It's a red herring, I didn't learn to fly until I was 62 and hope to fly for a good few years more.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 22 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

It comes into it because as you age our reactions get slower and your ability to think quickly deteriorates at a faster rate. I am not suggesting that anyone over a certain can't drive or fly, I am just saying that there are a lot who could do with checking.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 23 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

There is also a large number of under-21s who could do with checking.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 23 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Well they have just passed a driving test, and believe now have a probationary period as well?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 23 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Not my point. You implied that (some) people become worse drivers with age. I am saying I see a lot of bad driving by youngsters.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 23 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I didn't "imply" it's a fact that the human body deteriorates with age. Also it's well documented that elderly drivers are equal to and even surpass in risk newly qualified drivers. Like I said if there is a test, and you are fit then no worries, but if you're not fit to drive then you shouldn't be. We don't let people drive drunk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/2008/09/som...derly_dri.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/roa...-motorways.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car...p;in_page_id=35

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:31 AM