Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arson once again, Another Newbury play area destroyed by fire
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 12 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #1

Guests

Where do 'people' get off on doing this? Especially during the summer holidays when kids will be using the parks more during the day than at any other time.

I find this utterly pathetic and reprehensible.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10770

I hope they catch who did this, confiscate all of their precious possessions (no doubt mostly stolen) and have a lovely bonfire.

angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 12 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 205

I can guess who you would like to be the "Guy Fawkes". laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 12 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Aug 12 2009, 04:49 PM) *
Where do 'people' get off on doing this? Especially during the summer holidays when kids will be using the parks more during the day than at any other time.

I find this utterly pathetic and reprehensible.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10770

I hope they catch who did this, confiscate all of their precious possessions (no doubt mostly stolen) and have a lovely bonfire.

angry.gif

I hope they catch these perps soon before someone is injured or worse. No doubt Chesapeake thinks its a joke.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 12 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 12 2009, 05:08 PM) *
I hope they catch these perps soon before someone is injured or worse. No doubt Chesapeake thinks its a joke.

I actually think that it's disgusting. Both my children have enjoyed and continue to enjoy parks. But I already have ideas about making some inroads in to helping tackle this problem unlike yourself TDH. You probably just want to moan about it and do nothing! It is your right of course! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 12 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 12 2009, 05:14 PM) *
I actually think that it's disgusting. Both my children have enjoyed and continue to enjoy parks. But I already have ideas about making some inroads in to helping tackle this problem unlike yourself TDH. You probably just want to moan about it and do nothing! It is your right of course! tongue.gif

Good for you. What 'inroads' are you planning for this problem? Are you going to go and speak with the liitle loves in the parks where they are setting the fires? I'm sure you will be given a lovely reception.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 12 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 12 2009, 05:17 PM) *
Good for you. What 'inroads' are you planning for this problem? Are you going to go and speak with the liitle loves in the parks where they are setting the fires? I'm sure you will be given a lovely reception.

I would chew them up and spit them out for breakfast! If I told you my plans I'd have to kill you afterwards! laugh.gif

Bond, James Bond cool.gif

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 12 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

When one of these new play parks is built, doesn't someone somewhere, (council, residents, police etc) think to install secret and hidden CCTV to monitor these parks?

There is only a very slim chance of catching the culprits without 24/7 monitoring, and even if, by a fluke, the culprits were caught in the act I doubt they would get prosecuted unless there was hard evidence by CCTV.

Even then the wooley magistrates wouldn't dare come down hard on them and hand out punishments that would a) repair the damage and cool.gif reinforce the message that anti-social behavour is no longer tolerated.

Sure as night follows day we will never eradicate anti-social behavour such as this unless the authorities start to fight back hard.

Unless people want to live in an ever failing country of course. Maybe people don't mind. I do however.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Is it possible to make these frames out of non-flammable material?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 12 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 12 2009, 05:08 PM) *

Fire was started sometime between 4 - 5 am.

Not the kind of time that kids are still about.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 12 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 12 2009, 06:51 PM) *

Well that doesn't stop and educate them does it. Make it indescructable and the scum will just go elsewhere to cause damage. Result, no body wins, situation just gets worse.

Why not catch and punish them harshly instead?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 12 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 12 2009, 06:39 PM) *
When one of these new play parks is built, doesn't someone somewhere, (council, residents, police etc) think to install secret and hidden CCTV to monitor these parks?

There is only a very slim chance of catching the culprits without 24/7 monitoring, and even if, by a fluke, the culprits were caught in the act I doubt they would get prosecuted unless there was hard evidence by CCTV.

How's going to pay for them and all the extra infrastructure needed?

Even then the wooley magistrates wouldn't dare come down hard on them and hand out punishments that would a) repair the damage and cool.gif reinforce the message that anti-social behavour is no longer tolerated.

Become part of the solution and apply to become a Magistrate.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 12 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Well that doesn't stop and educate them does it.

My main objective is to maintain a safe play area for kids.

Make it indestructible and the scum will just go elsewhere to cause damage. Result, no body wins, situation just gets worse.

Er... that's illogical.

Why not catch and punish them harshly instead?

Go on then.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 12 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 12 2009, 06:57 PM) *
How's going to pay for them and all the extra infrastructure needed?

The same way anything else is paid for.

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 12 2009, 06:57 PM) *

I already have a day job. We pay other people to do these jobs.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 12 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 12 2009, 07:01 PM) *
My main objective is to maintain a safe play area for kids.

Removing scum from the streets also achieves that, and if punishment is strong enough would educate others not to follow suit.

Er... that's illogical.

huh.gif
You pay much more money to build an indestrucatable play centre. Scum are still free to destroy something else. So you've lost out by paying more for something AND they still do the damage, just elsewhere. That's worse than paying much more for enhanced security which removes and detains them as play area still stands and they are not free to cause further damage elsewhere.

Your option is therefore worse, sitation overall is therefore worse. Perfectly logical.

Go on then.

Not my job to. If I'd wanted to be a magistrate, or Police officer I would have.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 12 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 12 2009, 06:53 PM) *
Fire was started sometime between 4 - 5 am.

Not the kind of time that kids are still about.

You can't be sure of that.

This kind of mindless vandalism really makes me mad. I hope the police will find enough time to get this sorted out once and for all. Leave the druggies to their own devices for a while if that's what it takes. These arson attacks affect a far greater nuimber of people (who deserve better).

I wonder if these are isolated incidents perpetrated by completely separate groups or related in some way. Perhaps forensics would establish that, one way or the other. That's if it's considered important enough, but who am I to judge? I only know what I would like to happen.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 12 2009, 07:41 PM) *
You pay much more money to build an indestructible play centre. Scum are still free to destroy something else. So you've lost out by paying more for something AND they still do the damage, just elsewhere.

Possibly, but that shouldn't be a reason not to do something like I suggested. This is about progressively building a better community.

That's worse than paying much more for enhanced security which removes and detains them as play area still stands and they are not free to cause further damage elsewhere.

'removes and detains them' blink.gif , which one is it to be? Don't you think that if you make a play area something akin to Fort Knox, that they will just go somewhere else? Even if they are caught, they would most likely just get a caution anyway!

Your option is therefore worse, situation overall is therefore worse. Perfectly logical.

I'm sorry, but I think your argument is incoherent and expensive.

One of the most effective deterrents against antisocial behaviour (ASB) is good and thoughtful design. If things are built of the right materials and in the right place, then these areas can 'police' themselves. Your scenario above is based on some rather abstract assumptions. Are fire proof materials much more expensive? You then say that this is worse than spending much more on enhanced security which 'removes and detains' them. Yeah, maybe once, but then what..? Off they go, somewhere less 'secure'.

Not my job to. If I'd wanted to be a magistrate, or Police officer I would have.

And this is one of the reasons ASB has seemingly flourished, the 'it's someone else's responsibility' attitude.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 12 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 12 2009, 07:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 12 2009, 06:57 PM)

I already have a day job. We pay other people to do these jobs.

No we don't.

Magistrates are unpaid volunteers who have decided to step up and make a difference

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAn...trate/DG_071384

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Aug 12 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 12 2009, 06:51 PM) *

Alternatively, make the frames out of a very flammable material, so when someone tries to set them on fire, they get blown to kingdom come.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Aug 12 2009, 09:56 PM) *
Alternatively, make the frames out of a very flammable material, so when someone tries to set them on fire, they get blown to kingdom come.

YES, I LIKE HOW YOU THINK... I'm sure GMR and the rest would agree! laugh.gif

Top post!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 12 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 12 2009, 08:49 PM) *
You can't be sure of that.

This kind of mindless vandalism really makes me mad. I hope the police will find enough time to get this sorted out once and for all. Leave the druggies to their own devices for a while if that's what it takes. These arson attacks affect a far greater nuimber of people (who deserve better).

I wonder if these are isolated incidents perpetrated by completely separate groups or related in some way. Perhaps forensics would establish that, one way or the other. That's if it's considered important enough, but who am I to judge? I only know what I would like to happen.

I can. I know one of the firemen who put the fire out. Bells went down at 5:01

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:11 PM