IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thornford Park 'escape', How secure is this location?
gel
post Jul 6 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Though obviously not a prison, begs question as to what security applies here re containing residents, some of which you would not want to come across?

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/man-goe...d-park-hospital
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jul 6 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Perhaps the gypsies took him with them.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 7 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

[quote name='gel' date='Jul 6 2014, 01:21 PM' post='97084']
Though obviously not a prison, begs question as to what security applies here re containing residents, some of which you would not want to come across?

Which residents would you not wish to come across?.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 7 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Which residents would you not wish to come across?.

The missing "resident"; did you not read the story?
And others with similar traits too.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 8 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yes, I tend to agree! It's difficult to know what a 'prison' is these days. How long before the establishment we knew as HMP Ford, becomes Arundel Clinic?

Thornford Park is clearly example of where our public servants have been caught out bending the truth. Again, it's this institutionalised attitude that takes credibility from local government, so little wonder so few bother to vote.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 8 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 8 2014, 10:37 PM) *
Yes, I tend to agree! It's difficult to know what a 'prison' is these days. How long before the establishment we knew as HMP Ford, becomes Arundel Clinic?

Thornford Park is clearly example of where our public servants have been caught out bending the truth. Again, it's this institutionalised attitude that takes credibility from local government, so little wonder so few bother to vote.

It is? They have?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 9 2014, 12:47 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I remember when it was first given planning permission it was to be just a care homefor the infirm. It didn't take long for that to change.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 9 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 8 2014, 10:37 PM) *

I wasn't aware that public servants had anything to do with Thornford Park.

It is owned and managed by The Priory.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 9 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 9 2014, 12:34 PM) *
I wasn't aware that public servants had anything to do with Thornford Park.

It is owned and managed by The Priory.

The escapee is funding his stay from his own means is he then?

I thought mental health issues were dealt with by public servants! (even if they decide to allow the institution to be run privately)

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 9 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Jul 9 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Possibly, we have no way of knowing.

I thought mental health issues were dealt with by public servants! (even if they decide to allow the institution to be run privately)

No, private doctors can section a patient. It may be that the NHS is commissioning services for patients from The Priory, but how is that different from the Berkshire Independent Hospital being used to perform NHS-commissioned gastroscopies

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 9 2014, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 9 2014, 03:00 PM) *

No, private doctors can section a patient. It may be that the NHS is commissioning services for patients from The Priory, but how is that different from the Berkshire Independent Hospital being used to perform NHS-commissioned gastroscopies

So why have you tried to infer that public servants have no involvement? As you don't seem to know!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 9 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 9 2014, 03:00 PM) *

Of course!

I think the term 'medium secure unit' says it all, underlined by the warnings not to approach this 'patient' who is described as aggressive.....then, yes, I'll admit, I'm just a big cynic.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 9 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Jul 9 2014, 12:57 PM) *

The patient did not Escape as you seem to imply.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 9 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Escaped from a secure environment IMO, and is clearly a threat to the general population.

Still on the run today 9th:
Reinforcements called in:

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/newseven...m.htm?id=285908

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 9 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

John Maguire, aged 43, left a secure unit at Thornford Park Hospital in Crookham, near Thatcham, at lunchtime.

Not once does it state that he escaped.

I wish people on this site would not exaggerate the story beyond the truth.

Mr Maguire did not escape and thats official.

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 9 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 9 2014, 04:01 PM) *
Of course!

I think the term 'medium secure unit' says it all, underlined by the warnings not to approach this 'patient' who is described as aggressive.....then, yes, I'll admit, I'm just a big cynic.

The statement says he COULD be aggressive if approached.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 9 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Jul 9 2014, 08:49 PM) *
John Maguire, aged 43, left a secure unit at Thornford Park Hospital in Crookham, near Thatcham, at lunchtime.

Not once does it state that he escaped.

I wish people on this site would not exaggerate the story beyond the truth.

Mr Maguire did not escape and thats official.

I agree certainly how it's written officially suggests there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Jolly good, so we can all stop worrying, phew, thank goodness..........

Lots of people go missing every day and lots of people react in unpredictable ways. We don't hear about them. Often their friends and relatives get upset too because the Police just aren't interested and don't do anything, anything at all.

So it's really good to know their attitude has suddenly changed, I expect we'll now start to see many, many reports like this. If we do see them, best not interfere and ask if they are OK, that's a police job, they are trained in this work. If we do see them, just call the non emergency number when you have a spare moment.

Oh, something else I heard, might be relevant, apparently the word 'gullible' is being removed from the OED.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jul 9 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 9 2014, 09:02 PM) *
I agree certainly how it's written officially suggests there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Jolly good, so we can all stop worrying, phew, thank goodness..........

Lots of people go missing every day and lots of people react in unpredictable ways. We don't hear about them. Often their friends and relatives get upset too because the Police just aren't interested and don't do anything, anything at all.

So it's really good to know their attitude has suddenly changed, I expect we'll now start to see many, many reports like this. If we do see them, best not interfere and ask if they are OK, that's a police job, they are trained in this work. If we do see them, just call the non emergency number when you have a spare moment.

Oh, something else I heard, might be relevant, apparently the word 'gullible' is being removed from the OED.

Perhaps the patient who went missing when he was on his usual bus trip along with several other patients to Thatcham but forgot to take his medication prior to leaving and that is the main concern.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Jul 10 2014, 04:55 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (nerc @ Jul 9 2014, 09:14 PM) *
Perhaps the patient who went missing when he was on his usual bus trip along with several other patients to Thatcham but forgot to take his medication prior to leaving and that is the main concern.

So bus trips to Thatcham are on offer for some of these vulnerable and possibly potentially aggressive/dangerous patients. Sounds a very noble idea until you read an article from the Western Morning News.

I have tried (and failed!) to post a link but if you google 'Western Morning News Thornford Park Escape', you can make your own judgement. I think the headline says it all really 'Killer mental health patient on trip to shops threw rocks at nurse'.

Very re-assuring.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 10 2014, 08:30 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Jul 9 2014, 03:58 PM) *
So why have you tried to infer that public servants have no involvement? As you don't seem to know!

I was simply pointing out that Thornford Park is privately run to counter the assumption that this was a failing of public servants

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:48 PM