Reply to this topicStart new topic
> National Service
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Having seen the troops looking so well drilled and professional on Friday just shows that young people given direction and discipline can be a credit to society.

I would like to see National Service brought back in on a Voluntary and none Voluntary basis. If youths choose to Volunteer then all credit to them but if a youth misbehaves to a certain degree (the level of this would have to be decided upon) I would like to see them enlisted in the Army. It would serve us and them better than any Prison Cell or Youth Detention facility would and would free up our jails for the older lags who are serial repeat offenders.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I agree totally. They then might learn how to behave and how to treat one-another. They say there isn't enough prisons and at the same time say we haven't got enough people volunteering to go in the army; but them together. However, people should have a choice. Those that show respect to others shouldn't have to be forced into going into the army, but those that prefer to cause trouble, take drugs, get drunk or just be a burden on society should be forced to go into the army. Only allow them out when they have learnt a lesson.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 6 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Yes, but would you want some deadbeat, unreliable, piece of human dross guarding your back if you were in combat against the Taliban? No, thanks, a job for professionals, I feel. Ditto the RAF and the navy. The armed forces have got better things to do than nursemaid rubbish

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 6 2009, 04:36 PM) *
Yes, but would you want some deadbeat, unreliable, piece of human dross guarding your back if you were in combat against the Taliban? No, thanks, a job for professionals, I feel. Ditto the RAF and the navy. The armed forces have got better things to do than nursemaid rubbish

But isn't the point you knock them into shape?

In the First and Second world war our jails were full with criminals of all sorts. Churchill said he would pardon them all (part from the very worst criminals) if they joined up. They were trained into very good soldiers. Some say if it wasn't for recruiting those prisoners Britain might have been in a lot more trouble. Other countries did the same. However, if they are as rubbish as you say then maybe we should just shoot 'em? wink.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 6 2009, 04:36 PM) *

I think the idea is to knock these lads into shape before it is too late. If they don't adjust their attitude then they can go to Colchester. A military prison is not quite like a Category C or Youth offenders institute.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 6 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 6 2009, 05:00 PM) *
I think the idea is to knock these lads into shape before it is too late. If they don't adjust their attitude then they can go to Colchester. A military prison is not quite like a Category C or Youth offenders institute.... wink.gif

But, and I can hear the cries now, 'what about their human rights?' - times have changed since the 1940s and what was acceptable discipline then, like sending a 9 year old girl to a remand home for stealing a book of saving stamps valued at £1, wouldn't be allowed now.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 6 2009, 05:16 PM) *
But, and I can hear the cries now, 'what about their human rights?' - times have changed since the 1940s and what was acceptable discipline then, like sending a 9 year old girl to a remand home for stealing a book of saving stamps valued at £1, wouldn't be allowed now.

The times have changed. I agree. For the worse. Who is talking about sending a 9 year old to a remand home anyway? I am talking about sending a 17 or 18 year old ganga smoking pothead who burgles properties for a living and does not get any discipline from the justice system or parents to do National Service. And as for the 'Human Rights' Act. That has to be the worst piece of legislation EVER passed into law. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 6 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 6 2009, 04:57 PM) *

In the First and Second world war our jails were full with criminals of all sorts. Churchill said he would pardon them all (part from the very worst criminals) if they joined up. They were trained into very good soldiers. Some say if it wasn't for recruiting those prisoners Britain might have been in a lot more trouble. Other countries did the same. However, if they are as rubbish as you say then maybe we should just shoot 'em? wink.gif

What, use them for target practice?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 6 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

What, use them for target practice, you mean? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 6 2009, 05:27 PM) *
What, use them for target practice?

That would be even better tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 6 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #11

Guests

Firstly I would add it's not just certain lads who need a shake up but some girls too. (See AmieB's thread of earlier today).

Secondly the "ganja smoking potheads" aren't the main problem re. burglaries, it's those addicted to the really strong stuff like heroin and crack.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 6 2009, 08:13 PM) *
Firstly I would add it's not just certain lads who need a shake up but some girls too. (See AmieB's thread of earlier today).

Secondly the "ganja smoking potheads" aren't the main problem re. burglaries, it's those addicted to the really strong stuff like heroin and crack.

Yes - we mustn't forget the female variety of trouble makers. If we do ever get around to using the army for our rubbish then it must accommodate both sexes.

I only mention the "potheads" in-respect of them causing trouble in town and other areas. If they would disappear into the abyss then I don't think they would be a problem.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 6 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 6 2009, 08:13 PM) *

Could anyone really expect HM Armed Forces to do anything with people like that? Have pity, please - they're very thinly spread as it is. Tempted to remind people of what I posted on another matter i.e., in the old Communist bloc, they often got things wrong but imagine if these characters were stopped in the street by jowly looking men in trilbys, bundled into the back of ZIL cars and taken away, being accused of 'being enemies of the state', never to be seen again. Any complaints?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 6 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Could anyone really expect HM Armed Forces to do anything with people like that? Have pity, please - they're very thinly spread as it is. Tempted to remind people of what I posted on another matter i.e., in the old Communist bloc, they often got things wrong but imagine if these characters were stopped in the street by jowly looking men in trilbys, bundled into the back of ZIL cars and taken away, being accused of 'being enemies of the state', never to be seen again. Any complaints?

Didn't you suggest target practice? I am all for that... at least it is better than hurting the rag dummies they usually use (at least they've got more soul) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 6 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

In the First and Second world war our jails were full with criminals of all sorts. Churchill said he would pardon them all (part from the very worst criminals) if they joined up. They were trained into very good soldiers. S

Many of them used their criminal skill to great effect as agents of SOE. Burglars, forgers and safe crackers were in demand for occupied Europe.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 6 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 6 2009, 09:37 PM) *
Many of them used their criminal skill to great effect as agents of SOE. Burglars, forgers and safe crackers were in demand for occupied Europe.

Yes they did.... some of the spies were recruited from the criminal elements to help us in our of need.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 7 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I believe that all young people of both sexes should do National Service from the age of perhaps 16.
I think all low level criminals should also be subjected to the benefits of a disciplined environment where they can be encouraged to do better.
If anyone saw the Daily Mail today you would have seen how the Yehmen deal with the likes of criminals who rape young children.
Rather extreme I confess but wouldn't the reintroduction of the death penalty protect so many young and innocent lives from serial predators.
Also if you carry a knife you get 5 years if caught. I think that would solve that problem.
Human rights legislation is a charter has become a stick to beat ouselves up with. It needs changing.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 7 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The American Army is largely made up of rank & file recruited in this way. You only need to spend 10 mins on liveleak to see what kind of Army this gets you.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 7 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 09:15 AM) *
I believe that all young people of both sexes should do National Service from the age of perhaps 16.
I think all low level criminals should also be subjected to the benefits of a disciplined environment where they can be encouraged to do better.
If anyone saw the Daily Mail today you would have seen how the Yehmen deal with the likes of criminals who rape young children.
Rather extreme I confess but wouldn't the reintroduction of the death penalty protect so many young and innocent lives from serial predators.
Also if you carry a knife you get 5 years if caught. I think that would solve that problem.
Human rights legislation is a charter has become a stick to beat ouselves up with. It needs changing.

I've been saying this for years - about the human rights charter. It is there to protect the bad elements of our society. You never hear of it protecting innocent citizens. Criminals who are harassed by the police or arrested start shouting about their human rights. It is the innocent that needs protecting.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 7 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2009, 10:36 AM) *
I've been saying this for years - about the human rights charter. It is there to protect the bad elements of our society. You never hear of it protecting innocent citizens. Criminals who are harassed by the police or arrested start shouting about their human rights. It is the innocent that needs protecting.

Qute right, I agree entirely

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:36 PM