Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mencap's Public Protest
Simon Kirby
post Jan 17 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Mencap were due to hand a petittion in to WBC today protesting WBC's consultation on a reduction in their grant.

So why the public protest? Why go to the press and make a song and dance about it? As I understand it WBC are consulting on the impact of the proposed grant cut, so isn't the responsible thing to respond rationally to the consultation rather than shout the odds in the local paper? Sure, people will be affected by the cut in grant, but it doesn't take a petittion to argue the point, what it needs is a financial impact assessment - you know, hard facts.

The report says
They are petitioning against plans to almost halve West Berkshire Mencap’s children’s services budget, from £53,721.60 to £23,000 in the next financial year (2012-13).

But here's the thing, West Berkshire Mencap’s children’s services budget is set by West Berkshire Mencap, and that's a policy decision taken by Mancap's trustees. If the 1,150 pettitioners feel strongly enough about the children’s services budget then they need to take it up with the Mencap Trustees, not WBC, and if they can't find the 50p a week themselves that would close the budget gap I'm guessing they're really not that fussed.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 17 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #2

Guests

I agree on your last point. Why don't they al cough up 50p the tightwads.

Although in general charities of this age just demand, demand, demand. Most are sitting on cash reserves which could easily provide a large family with a life of luxury for an entire lifetime and yet somehow are completely out-of-odds with the reality of todays climate.

After all why would I give £8 a month to someone else when I could simply spend it myself? It's a **** of a lot easier than the hassle of signing bits of paper to set up direct debits. I used to give £8 a month to Childline and after about 5 months I cancelled it because as daft as it sounds I have a strict budget and that £8 was eating it up.

Then phoned me back about 2 months later, got a hot (sounding) 18-25 year young lady to try and guilt me into signing back up..."please think of the children" and "how would you like it if you got taken upstairs and beaten?" well actually it rather does depend! biggrin.gif
Anyway just to make the girl shut up I agreed to pay £2 a month and left it at that.

Charity is very charitable, charity trustees who stand there, slowly tanning in the warmth and feeling of social responsibility that only someone in their position can achieve and yet expecting everyone else to cough up money. That is the charitable way.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jan 17 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Yeah, **** charities always trying to protect the most vulnerable people in society. Who do they think they are. Selfish gits.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 17 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Guests

Stewie griffin likes men! biggrin.gif
got out of that one

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jan 17 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Oh lordy, you're still an immature little windbag aren't you. I was responding to the op, not you, you pignosed dufus. Back in your box now little boy.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 17 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Guests

You will find I am likely both taller and fatter than you. Wanna go a few rounds? Of table tennis of course.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 17 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Jan 17 2012, 04:25 PM) *
Oh lordy, you're still an immature little windbag aren't you. I was responding to the op, not you, you pignosed dufus. Back in your box now little boy.

Had to look up "dufus" on Urban Dictionary!! biggrin.gif

Here it is.

I am obviously a "dufus" (though not "pignosed") for not knowing what it meant!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 17 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #8

Guests

It's also American, dude.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 17 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 17 2012, 06:35 PM) *
It's also American, dude.

That would explain it!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Must admit the originating post strikes a chord. None of us likes the cuts and one way or another most of us will suffer some degree of disadvantage. The decisions to be made aqre hard. Can understand sectional interests making a case - but lets do it with logic and reason. That should also include propoosing where the cash needed comes from. With our present political situation - unlikely tio happen. However, come election time, I sincerely hope we can remember the irresponsible ones.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 09:38 PM