3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sod it - I'm going to take action
jimpanzee
post May 29 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

After seeing that people on here also seem to express the same disgust at the sorry state of various individuals sullying our streets, I have decided I am going to detail anything that I see and thought was wrong.

I would love it if the rest of you guys joined in and as a community we stand up and point out the people doing things that are illegal, unsavoury and morally wrong.

I'll start with a little one.

Just been to co-op in Thatcham, and on exit I saw someone clearly dealing some illegal substance right outside. A place which is meant to be a safe area for kids.

Now i've not always been a clean cut individual, far from it. But you can have the common decency to take things away from the general public, especially the young.

What have you seen on our streets lately?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 30 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I went into town today - Newbury - and there were plenty of drunks swearing etc. Going by peoples faces they weren't too pleased. Where are the police when this sort of thing happens?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 31 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (jimpanzee @ May 29 2009, 09:16 PM) *
I'll start with a little one.

Just been to co-op in Thatcham, and on exit I saw someone clearly dealing some illegal substance right outside.

A little one? blink.gif

QUOTE (jimpanzee @ May 29 2009, 09:16 PM) *
What have you seen on our streets lately?

Litter, mainly. And usually from school kids whose parents have obviously not instilled a basic social conscience into them. Thinking about it, it's probably those same parents as well.

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 1 2009, 07:46 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 31 2009, 02:22 PM) *
A little one? blink.gif

Litter, mainly. And usually from school kids whose parents have obviously not instilled a basic social conscience into them. Thinking about it, it's probably those same parents as well.

I agree about the litter. I live with in walking distance of three schools and my front garden becomes a litter bin for the little angels on their way to school and during their lunch breaks. It's not just the litter that they drop in my garden but the litter that blows in from the street that they drop. The vast majority is chocolate wrappers and crisp packets. If you say anything to them they swear at you or their parents do. I guess it could be worse with so many being driven to school at least their litter is dropped down Andover road. dry.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 1 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10175

Group of youths Asault Man.

So a guy is battered unconcious by a group of yobs in the middle of the high street.

Bailed to return on the 27th June. sad.gif

At least we know theirs a good chance another member of the public will take a good kicking before then.
I'm just suprised the Police attended. Must have been a nuisance.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 1 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I've also noticed a lot of drunks going to the toilet in alleyways. Why has it gone so bad recently?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 1 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 1 2009, 09:04 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10175

Group of youths Asault Man.

So a guy is battered unconcious by a group of yobs in the middle of the high street.

Bailed to return on the 27th June. sad.gif

At least we know theirs a good chance another member of the public will take a good kicking before then.
I'm just suprised the Police attended. Must have been a nuisance.

Doesn't that warrant a new thread? I don't see how it fits in with the OP.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 2 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 113

I know it's not illegal but today I was waking in to the kennet centre through a crowd of mothers with pushchairs, all smoking around their children.

Although this is not illegal this is one thing I can not bear to see, children having to breath in their mother's smoke! I suppose I should be greatful that they were at least outside smoking!

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 2 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 2 2009, 02:03 PM) *
I know it's not illegal but today I was waking in to the kennet centre through a crowd of mothers with pushchairs, all smoking around their children.

Although this is not illegal this is one thing I can not bear to see, children having to breath in their mother's smoke! I suppose I should be greatful that they were at least outside smoking!

This drives me up the wall! I grew up in a home where both my parents were chain smokers who smoked in the house. for years when I was growing up I thought I had a constant cold cause my nose was always stuffed up and I was always coughing up crap. When I was 14 I finally convinced my parents to smoke outside, ever since then I can breath although I still have a cough which I don't think will ever go away.

I think it's absolutely disgusting that people smoke around children, and when I see a pregnant woman smoking, I want to scream! How can these people be allowed to have children. Even though this isn't illegal, it should be!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 2 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jun 2 2009, 02:32 PM) *
This drives me up the wall! I grew up in a home where both my parents were chain smokers who smoked in the house. for years when I was growing up I thought I had a constant cold cause my nose was always stuffed up and I was always coughing up crap. When I was 14 I finally convinced my parents to smoke outside, ever since then I can breath although I still have a cough which I don't think will ever go away.

I think it's absolutely disgusting that people smoke around children, and when I see a pregnant woman smoking, I want to scream! How can these people be allowed to have children. Even though this isn't illegal, it should be!

Even though I understand what people are saying, I don't think they could ever ban it..... people/ mothers/ fathers would just do it in private.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 3 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 2 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Even though I understand what people are saying, I don't think they could ever ban it..... people/ mothers/ fathers would just do it in private.

After all this would be an infridgement on their human rights, doesn't matter that their children don't get to have a say in the matter

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 3 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 3 2009, 02:14 PM) *
After all this would be an infridgement on their human rights, doesn't matter that their children don't get to have a say in the matter

It is not about "infringement" of peoples human rights, but it would be practically impossible to prove.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 5 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 3 2009, 08:38 PM) *
It is not about "infringement" of peoples human rights, but it would be practically impossible to prove.

Sorry obviously my sarcasim was missed on this point

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 6 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 5 2009, 02:29 PM) *
Sorry obviously my sarcasim was missed on this point

It wasn't missed wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Lemonade
post Jun 15 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 145

QUOTE (GMR @ May 30 2009, 10:57 PM) *
I went into town today - Newbury - and there were plenty of drunks swearing etc. Going by peoples faces they weren't too pleased. Where are the police when this sort of thing happens?

Actually from my experience the police have been more than useful in these situations. People always say 'where are the police and what are they doing' but coming from someone who used to get drunk around parks and such in my earlier teens (about three years ago or so) the police regularly were around. I was walking through a park the other night on my way to a friends and I saw the police then talking to a group of young people.

I don't think it's the police's problem and to be honest, I'm kind of sick of hearing it. The problem is there is nothing to do at night. No teenager wants to go to a shoddy youth club and drink apple juice, after a week at school they want to do something fun as I'm sure you all did in 'your day'. It's a bigger issue and it's something the government really needs to address. Perhaps if they lowered the drinking age on some softer drinks and made places especially for younger teenagers to go there wouldn't be so much of a problem.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lemonade @ Jun 15 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Actually from my experience the police have been more than useful in these situations. People always say 'where are the police and what are they doing' but coming from someone who used to get drunk around parks and such in my earlier teens (about three years ago or so) the police regularly were around. I was walking through a park the other night on my way to a friends and I saw the police then talking to a group of young people.

I don't think it's the police's problem and to be honest, I'm kind of sick of hearing it. The problem is there is nothing to do at night. No teenager wants to go to a shoddy youth club and drink apple juice, after a week at school they want to do something fun as I'm sure you all did in 'your day'. It's a bigger issue and it's something the government really needs to address. Perhaps if they lowered the drinking age on some softer drinks and made places especially for younger teenagers to go there wouldn't be so much of a problem.

In some cases you maybe right.... however, the police could be a bit more high profile and observant when seeing people behaving in a certain - unacceptable - manner.

Drinking is a problem but those that offend must know that bad behaviour will not and must not be tolerated.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 16 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #17

Guests

Maybe the Police resources are over stretched and the Government needs to allow more to be recruited.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 16 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

More police walking the beat is what we need. I never ever see them.......

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 16 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Maybe the Police resources are over stretched and the Government needs to allow more to be recruited.

I don't think it is just that reason.... when they get to court they must be dealt with in such a way that it sends out a message to others that, that sort of thing won't be tolerated. unfortunately, most of the time they go to court, get an ASBO and then wear it with pride; in some cases they've got hundreds. What is the point of just passing ASBO's out, as if they are a reward? One should be enough, after that confinement is the only answer.

Kids will always push the boundaries; it is society that should sent the rules and if broken immediately punished.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 16 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #20

Guests

It's not all kids causing the problems though.

If a man with a previously unblemished record can be given 120 hours community service and be warned that he only just escaped a prison sentence for slapping a cyclist for slight provocation (see Newbury Today) then surely these repeat offenders must be treated much more strictly by the courts.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:37 PM