IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NWN: Aldi's new store will be opening tomorrow; i.e. Friday.
GMR
post Mar 21 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 21 2013, 08:27 PM) *

Not necessarily. That could be a photo from another store. You never know with the NWN's. It is about stories, not facts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Mar 21 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Mar 21 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Sorry, I do not think that is funny. The Newbury Weekly News gave the impression that Aldi's opening day was tomorrow, not today. That is what annoys me about this forum. Too many jokers who cannot take things seriously. I am not the only one who changed their plans so that they can go to the opening day.

Sorry. are you saying that the opening of an Adli is a SERIOUS business? Why would anyone change plans to attend the opening of a shop?

Huge signs outside the place and this very site saying the date would be today, Let's ignore them shall we?

I'd have thought the only people concerned about the opening of a new Aldi's would be the production team at the Jeremy Kyle Show as it'll take their core audience away for the morning.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 21 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Mar 21 2013, 08:31 PM) *
Sorry. are you saying that the opening of an Adli is a SERIOUS business? Why would anyone change plans to attend the opening of a shop?

Huge signs outside the place and this very site saying the date would be today, Let's ignore them shall we?

I'd have thought the only people concerned about the opening of a new Aldi's would be the production team at the Jeremy Kyle Show as it'll take their core audience away for the morning.

I don't think that is what the lady said, just your interpretation on it. We all read things differently; depending on what statement we want to issue. Yours is to be clever. wink.gif

+Quote Post
desres123
post Mar 21 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

sorry cant see why people get so excited its only another supermarket. But on the other hand if Asda set up here with a garage then maybe force the other garages to reduce their fuel prices to match reading and stop ripping us off

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 21 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I have a feeling that I wouldn't like the Jeremy Kyle Show, but that said I understand that Aldi have good offers from time to time. Or is that Lidl? Anyroad up, you only find opening day offers on opening day, so if I'd planned to go and missed it because the paper got the dates wrong then I'd me somewhat tee'd off.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 21 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (desres123 @ Mar 21 2013, 08:59 PM) *
sorry cant see why people get so excited its only another supermarket. But on the other hand if Asda set up here with a garage then maybe force the other garages to reduce their fuel prices to match reading and stop ripping us off

I agree, but they are excited enough to this thread to disrupt their important life to reply. That either tells you that this thread is so important or interesting or they have no real life..... I'll for the the second one laugh.gif

wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 21 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 21 2013, 09:00 PM) *
you only find opening day offers on opening day,

The clue is in the sentence... or put it another way.... the bleeding bloody obvious laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 21 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It was open today as planned, and as advertised. It wasn't a great opening with lots of offers, it was just a normal day of trading to them. There was some difference between their prices and Tesco's, with that side of things I was impressed, however I doubt I'll go back, cheap comes at a price, and the "experience" was pretty poor.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 21 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (desres123 @ Mar 21 2013, 08:59 PM) *

Agreed!!!

+Quote Post
HJD
post Mar 22 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Rather a self-righteous comment don't you think ! And no i never went personally, but there are plenty of folk about who are not as well off as some & cannot afford Waitrose or M & S prices.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 22 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (HJD @ Mar 22 2013, 09:59 AM) *
Rather a self-righteous comment don't you think ! And no i never went personally, but there are plenty of folk about who are not as well off as some & cannot afford Waitrose or M & S prices.

Actually, I know a number of people who are as well off as some and will certainly use these outlets. Nothing wrong with saving money. After all, HM gives Tesco Christmas Puds as gifts. Most people don't really appreciate UK food retailing is a self protecting oligopoly, it has a higher gross margin than any of its continental competitors. Ever wondered why nice Mr Sainsbury could donate all that lovely cash to the Tate?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Mar 22 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 22 2013, 10:08 AM) *
Ever wondered why nice Mr Sainsbury could donate all that lovely cash to the Tate?

They donated cash to the National. They donated Works to the Tate.

It's called 'giving something back' and nowt wrong with it. I look forward to Aldi funding something of equal stature.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 22 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ Mar 22 2013, 01:50 PM) *
They donated cash to the National. They donated Works to the Tate.

It's called 'giving something back' and nowt wrong with it. I look forward to Aldi funding something of equal stature.

I do agree, BUT depends how much you've taken out in the first place! Our UK grocers follow the maxim 'there's one born every minute'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Mar 22 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (HJD @ Mar 22 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Profile increasingly moving upmarket as can often be sensed from some nice German motas in car parks of Aldi!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...IR-make-it.html

Highly rated by graduates too seeking 1st job.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Mar 22 2013, 07:49 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,817

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Mar 21 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Sorry, I do not think that is funny. The Newbury Weekly News gave the impression that Aldi's opening day was tomorrow, not today. That is what annoys me about this forum. Too many jokers who cannot take things seriously. I am not the only one who changed their plans so that they can go to the opening day.

I nearly missed out as well. When I saw what was written in the Newbury I was going to go the next day. But then I drove past it and saw it opened and popped in. They were giving away free tokens for the trolleys. I know it is nothing but can be handy if you can't find a spare pound. Anyway, I found the shop very refreshing. We need cheaper food outlets.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Mar 22 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

I can’t see what all the fuss is about what day it was supposed to be open or not. It is hear and it has been advertised for a long time that it was going to open on the 21st. In fact previous NWN’s articles have said that Aldi’s will be opening on the 21st. There are more important things to worry about than when a cheap foreign shop will be opening or not opening.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Mar 22 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

It is not serious at all. I just think people have got nothing better to do than talk about nonsensical rubbish. We've got a recession on and people being thrown out of work and all people can find to talk about is dates. We need to get real.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 22 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (JaneGibbs @ Mar 22 2013, 07:49 PM) *
I nearly missed out as well. When I saw what was written in the Newbury I was going to go the next day. But then I drove past it and saw it opened and popped in. They were giving away free tokens for the trolleys. I know it is nothing but can be handy if you can't find a spare pound. Anyway, I found the shop very refreshing. We need cheaper food outlets.

Blimey, a free trolley. That must be worth going.

The problem with this thread is the timing of yesterday, tomorrow and today. Now tomorrow is Saturday and today is Friday but yesterday, tomorrow is today and yesterday was two days ago. So I assume they opened yesterday or was that today, bearing in mind that tomorrow it will be opening yesterday. Will they be giving a free trolley tomorrow or was that just today and are you allowed to wheel it down the London Road. We'll see what happens tomorrow then unless you are reading this Saturday when it will be today and Friday will be yesterday.

Cheap food comes at a price of course. But then expensive food comes at a price as well.

All in all, an interesting thread and one which fills me with hope for the people who have time in the day to look at just another supermarket just to see what it's like on the opening day which may or may not have been the opening day depending on what they read.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Mar 22 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 22 2013, 08:07 PM) *
Blimey, a free trolley. That must be worth going.

The problem with this thread is the timing of yesterday, tomorrow and today. Now tomorrow is Saturday and today is Friday but yesterday, tomorrow is today and yesterday was two days ago. So I assume they opened yesterday or was that today, bearing in mind that tomorrow it will be opening yesterday. Will they be giving a free trolley tomorrow or was that just today and are you allowed to wheel it down the London Road. We'll see what happens tomorrow then unless you are reading this Saturday when it will be today and Friday will be yesterday.

Cheap food comes at a price of course. But then expensive food comes at a price as well.

All in all, an interesting thread and one which fills me with hope for the people who have time in the day to look at just another supermarket just to see what it's like on the opening day which may or may not have been the opening day depending on what they read.

you are obviously not a woman or suffering under the recession. As they say every little helps. I don't think the point is so much about the opening times but about relying on the papers to get it right. I suppose we all see things in our own little ways.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Mar 22 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Spider @ Mar 22 2013, 08:02 PM) *
I can’t see what all the fuss is about what day it was supposed to be open or not. It is hear and it has been advertised for a long time that it was going to open on the 21st. In fact previous NWN’s articles have said that Aldi’s will be opening on the 21st. There are more important things to worry about than when a cheap foreign shop will be opening or not opening.

I thought this forum was for the people of Newbury to discuss their concerns and problems. You can always make your own thread and discuss the things that concern you instead of just bleating about.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:20 AM