IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halfords Service Centre - has anyone used them?
motormad
post Nov 2 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 2 2012, 08:24 PM) *
Here is an excerpt from the Vosa testers manual.Section 2.7. regarding shock absorbers. It's all here if you want confirmation.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doit...lsandguides.htm

At each corner of the vehicle, where practicable, push down (or pull down from beneath) and note the rebound of the body to determine if each shock absorber is producing a damping effect on the suspension.

Reason for rejection

A shock absorber which has negligible damping effect.

If your 'buddy' thought the test station was in error, then he should have reported it. For my money, if the tester couldn't push down the suspension he was correct to fail but the second garage should at least have passed and advised.
Are you sure that this isn't an urban myth and your buddy may have been feeding you duff stuff so that he could boast about his modifed and possibly dangerous Saxo.
By the way, just out of interest, what was the actual wording on the failure certificate.

I'm aware of the guide lines. And no, dampers which are leaky or have no rebound damping (eg all of the hydraulic oil has leaked out and the damper no longer supports the weight of the car) that has failed.
It was 8 months ago when my friends car was put forward for the MOT - I do not have the actual wording I'm afraid.. Nor does he live "local" so I'm not about to drive 280 miles to his house and ask him -

His car has some uprated suspension with what's known as a HLS (hydraulic lift system) on some custom valved dampers with custom springs, which means you can press a button to raise the nose for speedbumps. His car rolls quite low and to avoid bottoming out completely he has upped his damping (the custom valving) and changed the springs on it to those with a spring rate of something like 19kg/inch. Which if you do your research is very hard! (infact so hard that you can't move it by pressing down on the cars wings and is actually too hard for even young me!).

The MOT test centre in question (no I don't know the name) probably didn''t understand the concept of this (probably works on Saxo's all day!) and failed him. He went to a main dealer and they passed it the next day without question..

And please, stop with the whole "Citroen Saxo" crap and making assumptions. As we know it just makes you look like an ***. I don't wish to brag or have to bother facing more questions because you don't believe me, but let's just say his car costs £52,000 brand new. (his is a 2008 model). I just thought I would say that sometimes MOT testers don't always get it right sad.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 2 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 2 2012, 09:02 PM) *
The MOT test centre in question (no I don't know the name) probably didn''t understand the concept of this (probably works on Saxo's all day!) and failed him. He went to a main dealer and they passed it the next day without question..

After your mate realised he was a twonk and released some tension? tongue.gif

My nipper has put coilovers on and it is wrecked the ride of a perfectly good car. Mind you it didn't cost over £50k. I'd expect a car worth more than £50k to be be good out of the box!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 2 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

It wasn't bad Andy from what he tells me. He's just the kind with far too much money but a passion for modding up cars. smile.gif
I think it's just for the looks and customisation factor that he's done what he has done. A nice job to be honest! tongue.gif

Normally the cheap coilovers can ruin it but if you do it properly (or buy the expensive ones) you are good. My disabled mother says my car is more comfortable than her big 4 by 4! So I guess that says something tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 2 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Oops double post :S

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 2 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

For £50k, I'd expect it to look good out of the box too! tongue.gif

I think lowering is OK, but you need to mod the wheel arches, otherwise it looks like the suspension has collapsed. Well that's what I tell my little'un anyway! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 3 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 2 2012, 09:02 PM) *
Nor does he live "local" so I'm not about to drive 280 miles to his house and ask him -

Ever thought of getting a phone?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 2 2012, 11:04 PM) *
My disabled mother says my car is more comfortable than her big 4 by 4! So I guess that says something tongue.gif

Mums always know when to say the right thing to their boys.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 3 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 3 2012, 12:58 PM) *
Mums always know when to say the right thing to their boys.

You haven't met mine. laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 3 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 2 2012, 11:04 PM) *
I think it's just for the looks and customisation factor that he's done what he has done.

That's all it can be, for looks, as that type of suspension must make a very expensive car drive like a wheelbarrow.

MOT testers can no longer write up their own failure items on the certificate. They are all selected from the computer driven 'reasons for rejection' and there is no failure item for a seized shock absorber according to my 'buddy'. He's a Vosa tester so no urban myth there.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 3 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Something that I find strange is that apparently you don't have to have a working speedometer to pass the MOT!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 3 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 3 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Something that I find strange is that apparently you don't have to have a working speedometer to pass the MOT!

Neither do you need any tread on your spare wheel.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 3 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 3 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Its down to the origins of the MOT; which was simply to make sure the vehicle was mechanically sound. The speedo plays no part in that of course. Similarly, the tread on a 'spare' - which is simply not part of the operational mechanics unless it is actually fitted.

If the speedo did become part of the test, then it could be seen as a measuring instrument. The present levels of accuracy would need to be substantially increased and consequently the cost.

Perhaps in these safety conscious days the test could be reshaped to include such obvious things. Particularly with modern electronics, speedo accuracy need not be dependent on mechanics and so not as expensive?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 03:29 AM