Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WBC planners
dannyboy
post Aug 14 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Council issues a stop notice to Lafarge & not a single post giving WBC a pat on th back!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 14 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 14 2009, 10:58 AM) *
Council issues a stop notice to Lafarge & not a single post giving WBC a pat on th back!

How true!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 14 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Whoopee-do, I don't get a pat on the back for doing my job. For me, however, the problem was with the Greenham Trust for letting them build there without planning permission. Mind you, WBC did visit the site and did nothing. This only come about after complaints.

BUT - I do appreciate that WBC did do something, so that is good, so I, for one, am pleased.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 14 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Well done WBC for doing its job. blink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 14 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

People don’t pat people on the back for doing a good job; that is what they are paid for. I never got a pat on the back when I did a good job, I just collected my wages at the end of the month. However, if you don’t do a good job then the public will let you know; and rightly so. And I’ve been in that position and I accepted the rebuke. Not only that but I’ve tried to correct the customers dissatisfaction.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 14 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 14 2009, 11:17 AM) *
People don’t pat people on the back for doing a good job; that is what they are paid for

And that's precisely why anyone would be justified in thinking "why bother"? Pats on the back are just as important as kicks up the behind, as any good employer would tell you. Maybe more so - then the second option is less likely to be needed.

So good on the planning committee for standing up to big business - which is what it boils down to.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 14 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 14 2009, 02:32 PM) *
And that's precisely why anyone would be justified in thinking "why bother"? Pats on the back are just as important as kicks up the behind, as any good employer would tell you.

Yes and WBC needed a kick up the behind before they did anything, but I am glad they did... eventually. As for the "why bother" point, because you are paid to do so would be one reason that springs to mind.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 14 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 14 2009, 06:32 AM) *
And that's precisely why anyone would be justified in thinking "why bother"? Pats on the back are just as important as kicks up the behind, as any good employer would tell you. Maybe more so - then the second option is less likely to be needed.

Agreed. I get paid to do a job which I do as well as I can (except when I'm taking my morning cuppa break like now laugh.gif ). Having said that whenever my boss or a client says "That was really great work" it motivates me to do better the next time and I raise my game a little.

However, I am an individual. Whether it applies to an entity such as WBC I'm not sure. Maybe we can find the chap/chapess who signed off and say thanks to them for a form well signed.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 14 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

IF the story was that WBC had gone up to Greenham on a tip-off and had issued a stop notice, which led to Lafarge applying for planning, then I would have been happy to 'pat the back' of the authorities. Regrettably, it seems the WBC were slow to react, but fair enough, they have in the end. Please for give me, however, for not wishing to give Greenham Common Trust Chief Executive Stuart Tagg a pat on the back.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 14 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 14 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Whoopee-do, I don't get a pat on the back for doing my job. For me, however, the problem was with the Greenham Trust for letting them build there without planning permission. Mind you, WBC did visit the site and did nothing. This only come about after complaints.

BUT - I do appreciate that WBC did do something, so that is good, so I, for one, am pleased.

What, no bonuses, no pay rises, no promotion? I'd get a new job.

and, again - planning is nothing to do with NGT.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 14 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *
What, no bonuses, no pay rises, no promotion? I'd get a new job.

I was waiting for you! tongue.gif I only get those things you list if my performance has been commendable, or above that which is expected. In any case, this isn't the type of back patting we were considering.

But I repeat, I am pleased they have acted as they have, I just don't see that we should be bowing in reverence to WBC on this issue.

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *
and, again - planning is nothing to do with NGT.

I never said it was, but their lack of vigilance caused this in my view. I believe NGT have more responsibility than merely filling plots.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 14 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 14 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Whoopee-do, I don't get a pat on the back for doing my job.
You've never had praise for doing your job well? Ever?

Sounds like you've got harsh boss there.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 14 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 14 2009, 06:06 PM) *
You've never had praise for doing your job well? Ever? Sounds like you've got harsh boss there.

No because I'm sh*t at it. tongue.gif I also never said that I never get praise, those are your words rolleyes.gif . I wish there was a derogatory word for people that put words in people's mouths. dry.gif

I don't get thanks for doing the job that is expected, but I do get praise when I go beyond the call of duty.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 16 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 14 2009, 02:32 PM) *
So good on the planning committee for standing up to big business - which is what it boils down to.

No it doesn't.

The planning committee have done nothing. To be fair they rarely seem to do anything as the planning officers make almost all the decisions these days.

In this instance the WBC Environmental Health people stepped in to stop the operation (good for them, pat on all backs concerned).

Planning officers (not the committee) had already decided not to stop the operation in case they were sued (which is becoming their standard excuse for not doing their jobs and enforcing the planning laws).

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 16 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

So what's the difference between planning officers and the planning committee?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 16 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 16 2009, 05:29 PM) *
So what's the difference between planning officers and the planning committee?

Planning committee = group of democratically elected councillors.

Planning officers = group of employees of West Berkshire Council.

More and more planning decisions are being taken by the officers these days.

I see from the NWN that the planners have acted following the Environmental Health people's lead and issued a stop notice on Lafarge.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:25 AM