post Feb 7 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 7 2011, 04:08 PM) *
Sorry to kick that one off.
I am still not too sure of the answer.
I am of the general opinion that if you are in a motor vehicle and have a collision with a cyclist you are automatically in the wrong.
Still, hypothetical question anyway because, as I said, they use the pavements.
Seems a lot of money to spend on something that is rarely used.

Your comments are very similar to the fuss made when the markings first went down.
Road markings exist to explain the road to users, not to make the driver pay attention. Any car driver who fails to see a cyclist, or any other road user, has a problem (even if not blame). Road users have to act according to the road conditions, use and layout as they find them at the time.

I don't particularly like the layout, but it is tested and approved, at it does encourage cyclists to follow a particular path (even if they choose not to).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 7 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 7 2011, 07:11 PM) *
I don't particularly like the layout, but it is tested and approved, at it does encourage cyclists to follow a particular path (even if they choose not to).

So who has tested it, GMR perhaps rolleyes.gif Who was it approved by Phil user23 laugh.gif
But the serious bit was your last quote :- it does encourage cyclists to follow a particular path (even if they choose not to). So what's the point of it. huh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 8 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has actually seen a cyclist on or near the St. John's roundabout...

It seems to be a huge expense for very little (if any) benefit. Maybe I am just a selfish motorist, though. Perhaps there are hundreds using it and I just don't notice them tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 8 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 8 2011, 11:32 AM) *
I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has actually seen a cyclist on or near the St. John's roundabout...

It seems to be a huge expense for very little (if any) benefit. Maybe I am just a selfish motorist, though. Perhaps there are hundreds using it and I just don't notice them tongue.gif

Nope, you were right first time - it is a huge waste of money.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:09 PM