Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Veolia, How are they doing?
Biker1
post Aug 13 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

This is not a rant but a word of praise.

I know this was a hot topic on here some months ago but cannot find the thread to raise it again.

Just wondered how is everyone finding the Veolia rubbish / recycling contract now that they have found their feet?

I have to say that, apart from a few teething problems at the start, I have no complaints whatsoever about their service.
They come regularly at the same time on the correct day and my bins / bags are fully emptied and left tidy for me to bring in.

I would honestly say they are an improvement over Biffa who were untidy and not very punctual.

That's my experience anyway.

Anyone else feel the same or disagree with their experience?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Aug 13 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

I know this isn't really Veolia's fault, but the design of their recycling lorries mean that half the waste put out ends up blowing around the roads.

+Quote Post
J C
post Aug 13 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Aug 13 2009, 05:57 PM) *
I know this isn't really Veolia's fault, but the design of their recycling lorries mean that half the waste put out ends up blowing around the roads.

Why is that not Veolia's fault? Surely they are responsible for procuring the vehicles and have a duty to ensure that they are fit for purpose?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 13 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Aug 13 2009, 05:57 PM) *

I haven't experienced that myself - everything seems to go in the lorry - but then maybe I live in a less windy spot!!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 13 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I've often wondered how much of it is really recycled?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 13 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't really do much recycling so won't comment on that, but I do think the street cleaning has been excellent, I see a marked improvement every Saturday and Sunday morning.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 13 2009, 09:38 PM) *
I don't really do much recycling so won't comment on that, but I do think the street cleaning has been excellent, I see a marked improvement every Saturday and Sunday morning.

I do a lot of recycling... all in one bin wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 13 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Only complaint I have about them is seeing one of their drivers at the wheel of a small lorry, a 2 tonner or similar and used for collecting fridges etc., yacking away on his mobile while driving along Queens Road and approaching the A339 roundabout, only half in control of his wagon, as it were. Thought that incredibly anti-social and complained to WBC. Would you willingly give businesss to contractors who employed plonkers like that?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 13 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Those of you who don't, or can't be bothered, to recycle, I shall be watching out for any comments in any environmental threads that come up. Really? "All in one bin"? And I got the impression from other posts that you were quite a responsible person. The mind boggles.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 13 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 13 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Thought that incredibly anti-social

Not only that, but illegal as well.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 13 2009, 10:27 PM) *
Those of you who don't, or can't be bothered, to recycle, I shall be watching out for any comments in any environmental threads that come up. Really? "All in one bin"? And I got the impression from other posts that you were quite a responsible person. The mind boggles.

Actually.... it goes all in one bin because they never gave me the extra bins to put them in. I've been in touch with the council twice, but nothing.

Actually I do have a green wheelie bin which a put my grass cutting in; sorry I didn't mention that.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 13 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 13 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Actually.... it goes all in one bin because they never gave me the extra bins to put them in. I've been in touch with the council twice, but nothing.

Actually I do have a green wheelie bin which a put my grass cutting in; sorry I didn't mention that.

Ok, I withdraw my comment - but you did leave yourself wide open smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 13 2009, 10:58 PM) *
Ok, I withdraw my comment - but you did leave yourself wide open smile.gif

True; but look on the bright-side. Without me suggesting that I willingly had committed a crime against the environment you wouldn't have spent a joyous 30 seconds rubbing my nose into - what you considered - anti-social behaviour laugh.gif wink.gif

PS You don't have to thank me, I'll just accept a card at Christmas and an invitation to dinner to meet the family: lol: wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 14 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 13 2009, 10:27 PM) *

If there ever is an environmental thread, rest assured I will be there. I don't believe recycling or not makes a difference to anything other than the council coffers, Veolia, and a shed load of people who have so little talent they would be unemployed if they didn't create nonsense thoeries to scare everyone. But my point on this thread will just be that I live in a flat, so unless I run down 3 flights of stairs and across a car park and then back again every time I chuck something away, or store a load of unhygienic smelly waste in my kitchen, it's not really an option.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 15 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 14 2009, 07:46 PM) *
If there ever is an environmental thread, rest assured I will be there. I don't believe recycling or not makes a difference to anything other than the council coffers, Veolia, and a shed load of people who have so little talent they would be unemployed if they didn't create nonsense thoeries to scare everyone. But my point on this thread will just be that I live in a flat, so unless I run down 3 flights of stairs and across a car park and then back again every time I chuck something away, or store a load of unhygienic smelly waste in my kitchen, it's not really an option.

You'll find if you wash your bottles & cans, they don't smell.

I'm guessing you do have a waste bin of sorts in your flat?

This looks nice doesn't it - http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/teachandlearn...ry/opencast.jpg

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 15 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 15 2009, 01:22 PM) *
You'll find if you wash your bottles & cans, they don't smell.

I'm guessing you do have a waste bin of sorts in your flat?

This looks nice doesn't it - http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/teachandlearn...ry/opencast.jpg

I wash most things before I put them in the bin, and you're right they don't smell, I do it to keep my kitchen bin stink free. I put them in the bin otherwise they would just be cluttering up my already limited space. I have a waste bin and that's it, so that's what I use. Nobody has been able to give me a good reason to recycle, and most of the stuff the council take isn't recycled anyway so unless I take it to the tip myself it 's not making a difference. If I do take it it will be in my car which will balance out any good that I have done anyway. Recycling is for profit, and most of it get's shipped overseas. I think that Veolia are doing a good job of duping everyone, and keeping the streets clean.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 16 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 15 2009, 02:46 PM) *
I wash most things before I put them in the bin, and you're right they don't smell

I was holidaying in France this year and noticed that they specifically ask that bottles/cans etc are not washed. They don't want tap water wasted in this way.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 16 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 16 2009, 10:57 AM) *
I was holidaying in France this year and noticed that they specifically ask that bottles/cans etc are not washed. They don't want tap water wasted in this way.

Exactly; I am very environmentally friendly and save water wherever I can. Apart from that I am on a water meter - which I went on for the first time this year. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 27 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I have just been to the waste centre and found the idiot who was sweeping up unhelpful, rude and obnoxious. I am surprised because I find their binmen and street collectors normally pretty chirpy. All the spaces sere occupied so I made sure I was pulled well over (they watched me do this) and jumped out to put my one item in the skip. The guy shouted over that I couldn't do that as I was parked on the road, to which I replied that I was anyway and this way I would be away and out of there in seconds, he then turned to his colleague and started to loudly slag me off. I just think the whole situation could have been handled better. I know they have a job to do and that somebody in recent times had died etc etc, but there are no yellow lines, no signage and as far as I could tell no difference to me being in or out of the car.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 27 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 27 2011, 02:31 PM) *
I have just been to the waste centre and found the idiot who was sweeping up unhelpful, rude and obnoxious. I am surprised because I find their binmen and street collectors normally pretty chirpy. All the spaces sere occupied so I made sure I was pulled well over (they watched me do this) and jumped out to put my one item in the skip. The guy shouted over that I couldn't do that as I was parked on the road, to which I replied that I was anyway and this way I would be away and out of there in seconds, he then turned to his colleague and started to loudly slag me off. I just think the whole situation could have been handled better. I know they have a job to do and that somebody in recent times had died etc etc, but there are no yellow lines, no signage and as far as I could tell no difference to me being in or out of the car.

elf n' safety mate.
More than me job's worth. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 AM