IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road works in Newbury, Incoming traffic **** or just me?
motormad
post Mar 6 2013, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

They are doing roadworks of course around the train station, which is a major trunk route, they will eventually be closing the bridge overnight and having 1 lane during the day. I think this went on for several months as I saw on the online planning permission request thing.

Not only that but they are going to be doing work on Newtown Road and also work will soon be starting on Boundry Road; basically, there will be no way to get from, for example, Tesco, to Turnpikey, without hitting some sort of traffic ****. Despite their best efforts Hambridge Road is still completely packed in Rush Hour and the roundabout has not really helped anyone (not that it was specifically designed to, but still...)

The only way to avoid the traffic would be to go through to Greenham Common and come out at Thatcham Train Station, which of course is going to have TRAINS lol

Am I the only one thinking why are they doing all of this roadwork at the same time where as what I would personally have done is done one place, then another, then another, to alleviate as much congestion as possible?

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Some works are scheduled and some are urgent and unforeseen.

+Quote Post
newres
post Mar 6 2013, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Emergency works on the A4 as well by Newport Rd.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 6 2013, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Who are "they"?

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Mar 6 2013, 10:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 6 2013, 10:36 PM) *
Who are "they"?

You're WBC's social media and website guru and you don't know?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 7 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 6 2013, 10:36 PM) *
Who are "they"?

Does it matter? It's being used generically here. "They are doing roadworks" is the same as "Roadworks are being done", only better style.

+Quote Post
regor
post Mar 7 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

FACT. Monday, journey from Thatcham Central to Faraday rd. Journey time 55 minutes.
FACT. Tuesday, journey from Thatcham Central to Faraday rd. Journey time 48 minutes
FACT Wednesday, need to go to the retail park. Don't want a repeat of Monday/Tueday so elect to go via thatcham station and Burys Bank rd. Level crossing closed, (all day????) traffic queuing half a mile up Pipers Lane. Finally escape and go via LowerWay, Hambridge Rd etc. Journey time 90 odd minutes.

CONCLUSION. Newbury is not accessible from the eastern side. As far as folk in the east are concerned Newbury is closed.
Fortunatly Reading, Basingstoke and Oxford are accessible and will benefit from my trade over the next half year.

Question. Were the BID team, Shopkeepers, Commerce departments etc consulted or advised of the impact of this concatenation of roadworks?

+Quote Post
newres
post Mar 7 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (regor @ Mar 7 2013, 11:53 AM) *
Question. Were the BID team, Shopkeepers, Commerce departments etc consulted or advised of the impact of this concatenation of roadworks?

I am quite sure they would have been "consulted". laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 7 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Consultation is immaterial. Network rail will do what they have to do regardless, the level crossing was broke (despite being a constant source of great aggravation anyway), and there is work to do some unplanned urgent repairs.

If able bodied, I'd try a push bike for a while.

Progress, eh?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 7 2013, 01:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 7 2013, 12:58 PM) *
Consultation is immaterial. Network rail will do what they have to do regardless, the level crossing was broke (despite being a constant source of great aggravation anyway), and there is work to do some unplanned urgent repairs.

If able bodied, I'd try a push bike for a while.

Progress, eh?

or the train.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 7 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

FACT. Monday, journey from Thatcham Central to Faraday rd. Journey time 55 minutes.
FACT. Tuesday, journey from Thatcham Central to Faraday rd. Journey time 48 minutes
FACT Wednesday, need to go to the retail park. Don't want a repeat of Monday/Tueday so elect to go via thatcham station and Burys Bank rd. Level crossing closed, (all day????) traffic queuing half a mile up Pipers Lane. Finally escape and go via LowerWay, Hambridge Rd etc. Journey time 90 odd minutes.

CONCLUSION. Newbury is not accessible from the eastern side. As far as folk in the east are concerned Newbury is closed.
Fortunatly Reading, Basingstoke and Oxford are accessible and will benefit from my trade over the next half year.

Exactly... It is genuinley quicker for me to get to Reading Gate Retail park than it is for me to get to Newbury from Thatcham these days.. I left work at 5:38 (well, that's the time I started the car) and I went to Newbury to a bodyshop to pick something up, and I didn't get there until 6:19!!!!!

Now excuse my ignorance and I know issues pop up but A4/London Road near Mercedes Dealer is down to like one lane which is **** in the rush hour; what is going on there which meant for that to happen? You can't cut through from Newtown Road to the A339 anymore, and to go round is again difficult due to the traffic flowing Northbound.
Not forgetting the bridge over the rail way track is going to have night closures soon along with 1 lane in the day; I will be going to Savacentre to go shopping during this period, not Sainsburys in Newbury. It takes me 15 minutes to get to Savacentre and it's probably more economical in terms of fuel as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 7 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 7 2013, 01:48 PM) *
Now excuse my ignorance and I know issues pop up but A4/London Road near Mercedes Dealer is down to like one lane which is **** in the rush hour; what is going on there which meant for that to happen?

I'd expect a 'prospective councillor' to pay more attention to local news! tongue.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/more-ro...-time-on-the-a4

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 7 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Thanks for the link.
I've been busy at work hence relative lack of time to check.

Also I don't think I ever said a 'prospective councillor'; I think I said I would but I am honest enough to say I don't know enough about the subject tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 7 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 7 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Thanks for the link.

Also I don't think I ever said a 'prospective councillor'; I think I said I would but I am honest enough to say I don't know enough about the subject tongue.gif

why did you theink the road was down to one lane - for a laugh?

you must be one of those people that those ridiculously huge & mind boggling expensive motorway matrix signs have been installed.

personally, when stuck in a traffic jam I don't give a toss what the reason is. I can see I'm in a tailback - why the DoT thought it a good idea to spend millions telling me what I can bleeding well see out of my car window in beyond me.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 7 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 7 2013, 02:50 PM) *
why did you theink the road was down to one lane - for a laugh?

you must be one of those people that those ridiculously huge & mind boggling expensive motorway matrix signs have been installed.

Hmm, no...........

personally, when stuck in a traffic jam I don't give a toss what the reason is. I can see I'm in a tailback - why the DoT thought it a good idea to spend millions telling me what I can bleeding well see out of my car window in beyond me.

I don't give a toss what the reason is, my point is why is it basically impossible to from Thatcham to Newbury via ANY of the regular routes without having huge delays added to your journey - why all of these roadworks are going on at the same time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 7 2013, 03:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

beacause sewer collapses are not planned.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 7 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 7 2013, 02:50 PM) *

If you're unfortunate enough to break down on the motorway like I was last year, you'll be grateful for the refuge provided at those hulking great matirx signs - if you have some choice about where to hit the hard-shoulder, look for one of those signs because they have a lovely bay that you can reverse into behind a nice barrier, and you'll be safe as toast.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 7 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 7 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Thanks for the link.

That's decided then; you are as admirably suited as the present incumbents! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Mar 7 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 7 2013, 04:37 PM) *
That's decided then; you are as admirably suited as the present incumbents! rolleyes.gif

what is so odd about that? do you really think any politician, from ministerial level down actually knows anything about the posts they hold? that's what the mandarins & civil servants are for.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 7 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Mar 7 2013, 04:45 PM) *
what is so odd about that? do you really think any politician, from ministerial level down actually knows anything about the posts they hold? that's what the mandarins & civil servants are for.

Yes precisely! We agree then Councillors are superfluous so can we now cancel the new fancy dress outfit? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:29 PM