Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Council tax freeze leads to steady degradation of, well, everything
Sherlock
post Jan 17 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

We've been told for some time that the consequences of the government's austerity programme will be much worse than we could imagine. One of measures put together by Messrs Osborne and Alexander - presumably to ease the pain - has been to freeze council taxes.

Hurrah, we are all supposed to cry, we're not going to pay more council tax! But there is, of course, a huge downside.

There's much to despair at as we see day centres, youth services and so on scrapped. One of the most depressing consequences of the freeze is that the council seems to have seriously cut back on litter removal. Walking around Newbury, and particularly driving along the A339 and other local roads, there were mounds of litter building up.

I'd rather pay a bit more council tax than see every aspect of our day-to-day lives crumble around us. We can't save everything, but surely we can at least live in an area that looks like a rubbish tip.

Yes, I know, the council doesn't put the rubbish there in the first place and I do, from time to time, do some DIY litter picking in our area but instead of relying on Mr Cameron's 'big society' idea (aka 'If you want it, do it yourself'), I'd rather pay someone else to do it.

Perhaps our MP could launch a crusade on this as well?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 17 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Jan 17 2012, 01:54 PM) *
We've been told for some time that the consequences of the government's austerity programme will be much worse than we could imagine. One of measures put together by Messrs Osborne and Alexander - presumably to ease the pain - has been to freeze council taxes.

Hurrah, we are all supposed to cry, we're not going to pay more council tax! But there is, of course, a huge downside.

There's much to despair at as we see day centres, youth services and so on scrapped. One of the most depressing consequences of the freeze is that the council seems to have seriously cut back on litter removal. Walking around Newbury, and particularly driving along the A339 and other local roads, there were mounds of litter building up.

I'd rather pay a bit more council tax than see every aspect of our day-to-day lives crumble around us. We can't save everything, but surely we can at least live in an area that looks like a rubbish tip.

Yes, I know, the council doesn't put the rubbish there in the first place and I do, from time to time, do some DIY litter picking in our area but instead of relying on Mr Cameron's 'big society' idea (aka 'If you want it, do it yourself'), I'd rather pay someone else to do it.

Perhaps our MP could launch a crusade on this as well?

We should not be paying tax to clear up litter.What we should be doing is lobbying our MPs to encourage the authorities to target litter louts and impose higher fines on those caught. I would willingly pay a bit more tax for some tangible improvements. Littering should be considered as an example of anti social behaviour and treated the same.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jan 17 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Littering should be considered as an example of anti social behaviour and treated the same.

A pity that this is not on St. Barts curriculum ...

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 17 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 17 2012, 03:33 PM) *
A pity that this is not on St. Barts curriculum ...

I thought it was something that parents taught their children along with the other niceties of civilized living. It should not be necessary to teach it at school but I guess so many of the basic lessons of life have now been transferred from parents for one reason and another.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The problem is that some parents are often as bad as the children. A little education in school might go a long way. Don't they have a subject called 'Civics' or similar, these days?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 17 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It does seem that some people would like to pay less tax, as is their right.

Sadly many of these people don't equate less tax with reduced service and that they'll have to pay a private company seeking to make a profit from them for some services that were formerly paid from tax.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 17 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 17 2012, 03:44 PM) *
The problem is that some parents are often as bad as the children. A little education in school might go a long way. Don't they have a subject called 'Civics' or similar, these days?

Perhaps they should teach it to the parents as well.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jan 17 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

There does seem to be more litter lying around these days, though not nearly as much as in Scotland where I lived until last year. Littering seems to be a national sport there. A clean and tidy town centre really does make a big difference to the general atmosphere of the place.

Newbury was always a tidy looking place years ago. Maybe we should send the schoolkids out to pick up a bagful each once a term, though elfin safety would probably have a seizure at that thought.

Alternatively send all the community service asbo cases out to do it. And a few weeks worth of heavy fines being handed out in the town centre might also help to get the message over.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 17 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I would like to pay less tax! Put a bit more on smoking & drinking, drunks and smokers make loads of mess, although smokers probably prop up the NHS more than anyone else.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 17 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #10

Guests

The % of tax increase we would receive if they increased it would not gain us the same % improvement of services. Screw it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I certainly woiuldn't be keen on 'more tax' and through some of the work I do suggests thgere are a good few for whom *only a few bob on the rates" decides how warm they are going to be, or how hungry they'll stay. The poor are always with you - but just consider those who are proud and honoirable and on a financial knife edge.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 17 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...8-000-year.html

I know it's easy but here's another £45k a year on benefits that could easily be cut down, multiply this by the thousands claiming and we'd save a fortune. I am not having a go at the individual in the article, but the system that pays so much to people could really be giving back less each but to more people.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 17 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I don't see the Big Society as principally about saving money, for me it's about society. We're social animals, we need society, and abandoning ourselves to the Big Fat State is sucking the life out of communities. Picking up the litter doesn't make a community litter free, it's litter free because people that live in the community have enough invested in it not to drop litter.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Jan 18 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jan 17 2012, 10:15 PM) *
I don't see the Big Society as principally about saving money, for me it's about society. We're social animals, we need society, and abandoning ourselves to the Big Fat State is sucking the life out of communities. Picking up the litter doesn't make a community litter free, it's litter free because people that live in the community have enough invested in it not to drop litter.

I sort of agree although on that basis a community in which everyone had enough invested would also, presumably, be crime and vandalism free. Do you think we'll ever reach a state of affairs where this occurs? And how long do we have to wait? It'll be a bit depressing it'll take two or three generations to get rid of the drifts of litter building up on the A339.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 18 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Why don't we organise a clean up of said area?

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 18 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

Actually, I am glad we are paying less tax.

For far too long, the state has done far too much. I want minimum government, not a state that intervenes here, there and everywhere.

Then, we all pay less tax and that additional spending power will boost the economy, create jobs and, through the tax system, the government still gets its money. It's a win-win policy.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 18 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 18 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Actually, I am glad we are paying less tax.

For far too long, the state has done far too much. I want minimum government, not a state that intervenes here, there and everywhere.

Then, we all pay less tax and that additional spending power will boost the economy, create jobs and, through the tax system, the government still gets its money. It's a win-win policy.

Like how that sounds laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 18 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

So long as we all buy British with our increased spending power. Unfortunately, with the global village economy, labour mobility & the ever widening poor - rich divide, that ain't gonna happen.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jan 18 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 18 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Why don't we organise a clean up of said area?

Why don't the authorities make those that create the mess clean it up?
Why don't those sentenced to community orders clean it up?
Why is it tolerated at all?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jan 18 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Or put another way "Trickledown" or "Reaganomics". A flawed, elitist tax system proven to be a complete failure everywhere it's been tried. I don't think going back to the 80's is really the way forward.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:02 PM