Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Waste collectins in disarray again :angry:
gel
post Jan 16 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

angry.gif I was sort of hoping that Veoila would have caught up on our missed Thur collection (when roads were completey fine) by today when they were allegedly operating (Saturday).

I fear now if they decide to make an appearance Monday whether the normal Thurs collections next week will be disrupted yet again? angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Angry of Hungerf...
post Jan 17 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 489

Perhaps this makes me sad but I follow "Newbury waste" on Twitter, this was this evening blog by them.....

"Loving how a few weeks without makes  everyone so appreciative of their rub
bish being collected wink.gif"

All I can say is how conceated can one person be!

We are now close to a month without a single collection. Someone needs a bloody good kick up the rear. What a sad bunch, if I ran my company this way I'd be calling in the the receiver before much longer.

Time for someone to look at the quaility of service this company is providing to the council tax payers.

--------------------
Angry and ALWAYS angry - but still loving life :-)

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jan 17 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Angry of Hungerford @ Jan 17 2010, 03:51 AM) *
Perhaps this makes me sad but I follow "Newbury waste" on Twitter, this was this evening blog by them.....

"Loving how a few weeks without makes  everyone so appreciative of their rub
bish being collected wink.gif"

All I can say is how conceated can one person be!

We are now close to a month without a single collection. Someone needs a bloody good kick up the rear. What a sad bunch, if I ran my company this way I'd be calling in the the receiver before much longer.

Time for someone to look at the quaility of service this company is providing to the council tax payers.

Out of interest, how much more council tax would you be prepared to pay for the necessary infastructure to get us through a once in 30 years level of winter? Twice as much, 3, 4, 5 times as much? If you want a gold service you have to pay top price. Whilst it's not nice to have overflowing bins, the world isn't going to end because your rubbish hasn't been collected for 3 weeks. Unlike those poor people in Haiti.

If your running of a company is so perfect, how would you run a waste collection outfit through this bad winter weather to ensure that every house went no longer than a week without a collection?

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 17 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jan 17 2010, 04:38 AM) *
Out of interest, how much more council tax would you be prepared to pay for the necessary infastructure to get us through a once in 30 years level of winter? Twice as much, 3, 4, 5 times as much? If you want a gold service you have to pay top price. Whilst it's not nice to have overflowing bins, the world isn't going to end because your rubbish hasn't been collected for 3 weeks. Unlike those poor people in Haiti.

If your running of a company is so perfect, how would you run a waste collection outfit through this bad winter weather to ensure that every house went no longer than a week without a collection?

Haiti aside, appreciate it's only an inconvenience, but many of us already consider we are paying Rolls Royce prices and getting a Fiat level of service...with apologies to any owners of that car marque!

In Ireland where they don't pay water charges, or Council Tax (but have it allowed for in their income tax), the Councils operate a refuse service in competition with private operators.
County Waterford Council will charge around €340 per year for this, and private operators somewhat less.
So there you can see what that element of public services is costing you.
Many of us feel that's the main service WBC provide, and if we had opportunity to use alternative contractors we would! unsure.gif

On basis they are working 3 days behind in some areas, we should have been got to by Saturday; it's bit of a viscious circle cos this week they'll be out of sync again, and being behind will increase time it takes them as there'll be extra rubbish.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 17 2010, 08:08 AM) *
......In Ireland where they don't pay water charges, or Council Tax (but have it allowed for in their income tax)....

One slight difference - Ireland has been subsidised via EC grants for years. In other words we are paying. So, I agree, we do pay Rolls Royce prices and get a Fiat in return BUT we give everyone else a car too. Aren't we nice!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 17 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Haiti aside, appreciate it's only an inconvenience, but many of us already consider we are paying Rolls Royce prices and getting a Fiat level of service...with apologies to any owners of that car marque!

In Ireland where they don't pay water charges, or Council Tax (but have it allowed for in their income tax), the Councils operate a refuse service in competition with private operators.
County Waterford Council will charge around €340 per year for this, and private operators somewhat less.
So there you can see what that element of public services is costing you.
Many of us feel that's the main service WBC provide, and if we had opportunity to use alternative contractors we would! unsure.gif

On basis they are working 3 days behind in some areas, we should have been got to by Saturday; it's bit of a viscious circle cos this week they'll be out of sync again, and being behind will increase time it takes them as there'll be extra rubbish.
Ireland had been subsidised for years by the EU, the whole "Celtic Tiger" was based on this and credit.

I'd be interested to know what extra you think you should get from a "Rolls Royce" refuse service. If it's "my bin emptied during record levels of snow and ice in the last 30 years" you'll need a "Snowplough" service, not a "Rolls Royce" one!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 17 2010, 09:41 AM) *
Ireland had been subsidised for years by the EU, the whole "Celtic Tiger" was based on this and credit.

I'd be interested to know what extra you think you should get from a "Rolls Royce" refuse service. If it's "my bin emptied during record levels of snow and ice in the last 30 years" you'll need a "Snowplough" service, not a "Rolls Royce" one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ireland's gains from EU membership well known/off topic frankly;
but was relevant example of what that service costs.

Perhaps you work in public sector and so have tunnel vision, didn't read my post:
I never asked for Rolls Royce standard of service, but just a standard service that we all pay our taxes for; well excluding those on benefits, who pay some/none.

Roads round here don't ever see snowploughs, but they haven't been needed since Thursday as roads quite passable for all traffic. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 17 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

How many of you if you walked into a buffet style service restaurant (Pizza Hut for example), paid your money and then were unable to get any food as they had run out would accept it? It's the same with our council taxes - it's not me me me from the taxpayer, it's me me me from the council who don;t want the inconvenience of actually supplying a service.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 17 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM) *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps you work in public sector and so have tunnel vision, didn't read my post:
I never asked for Rolls Royce standard of service, but just a standard service that we all pay our taxes for; well excluding those on benefits, who pay some/none.

Roads round here don't ever see snowploughs, but they haven't been needed since Thursday as roads quite passable for all traffic. ohmy.gif
It's an example of what a service subsided by the EU costs. The taxes from us here in the UK helped pay for it to be so cheap.

You said many consider we are playing for a Rolls Royce service. To use your analogy do you think a Rolls Royce would have been any more use in the recent snow and ice than a Fiat?

You seem to allude that you are not receiving a standard service, why do you consider you don't, because your bin wasn't emptied bang on time after three weeks of disruption to services? Hardly "disarray" is it, more like an organised effort to get things back on track.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 17 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Err - sorry that's trying to have your cake and eating it. Was a bad example, lets leave it at that!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 17 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 17 2010, 02:14 PM) *
It's an example of what a service subsided by the EU costs. The taxes from us here in the UK helped pay for it to be so cheap.

You said many consider we are playing for a Rolls Royce service. To use your analogy do you think a Rolls Royce would have been any more use in the recent snow and ice than a Fiat?

You seem to allude that you are not receiving a standard service, why do you consider you don't, because your bin wasn't emptied bang on time after three weeks of disruption to services? Hardly "disarray" is it, more like an organised effort to get things back on track.

I wouldn't have expected it to be collected Thursday "23",
but looking at WBC website, it indicated they were working Saturday (yesterday)(anyone see them?) to catch up.
Therefore I reasonably expected for my outlay on tax, that they'd have achieved this.
Those of us who work in the non public sector strive to achieve customer satisfaction.

Your aside on what a service subsided by the EU costs again misses the point; the private contracting waste collection companies in Ireland are er in the private sector so receive no subsidies, and have to compete, repeat "Compete".

This word is generally an anathma in public sector, and why some old style left wing councils for example still have large scale DLO (Direct Labour Organisations), though mostly all scapped in England.

If we had the non subsidised Irish sytem in current circumstances, you can bet that WBC's contractor may well perform more diligently, as they'd be in danger of losing customers to the competition (that compete word again).
Where's there's choice suppliers compete on many fronts ie service/price/after sales etc.

We have no choice, so have only one course of action left, such as bring it to people's attention on forum, and to Council & or/contractring company.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 17 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 17 2010, 04:24 PM) *
I wouldn't have expected it to be collected Thursday "23",
but looking at WBC website, it indicated they were working Saturday (yesterday)(anyone see them?) to catch up.

Therefore I reasonably expected for my outlay on tax, that they'd have achieved this.
Those of us who work in the non public sector strive to achieve customer satisfaction.
Hang on. Those people collecting the bins are working in the "non public" sector. Veolia is a private company and there is competition with other private companies for the contract which fairly recently changed from Biffa. If you're suggesting we should have 17 different bin companies working round here all collecting on different days and with different recycling rotas and rules, I reckon this wouldn't be the best idea.

I keep asking what are your particular gripes with the current service but you haven't mentioned any. Please feel free to detail the "disarray" in your next post.

If it's cost then unfortunately there is no EU subsidy for services such as these in this country. It's us UK taxpayers that generally pay out via the EU to poorer counties like Ireland, not that I disprove of this.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 17 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

€340 per year for rubbish collection! I'm glad we don't have to pay that much round here?

+Quote Post
Angry of Hungerf...
post Jan 18 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 489

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 16 2010, 11:13 PM) *
angry.gif I was sort of hoping that Veoila would have caught up on our missed Thur collection (when roads were completey fine) by today when they were allegedly operating (Saturday).

I fear now if they decide to make an appearance Monday whether the normal Thurs collections next week will be disrupted yet again? angry.gif

We are also on a Thursday collection - It will be a month to the day since we have had a been emptied - that's if they turn up then as a "light dusting" of snow is forecast for then.

Wonder how quick they'd move it if I plonked my wheely bin, and my excess outside the main doors of council offices in Market St. - bet it would be gone fairly quickly.

Perhaps I should seeing as they have been paid for this by way of council tax - or perhaps thet may offer my a small rebate to cover this part of my bill - somehow I doubt it !

--------------------
Angry and ALWAYS angry - but still loving life :-)

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jan 18 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 17 2010, 12:41 PM) *
How many of you if you walked into a buffet style service restaurant (Pizza Hut for example), paid your money and then were unable to get any food as they had run out would accept it? It's the same with our council taxes - it's not me me me from the taxpayer, it's me me me from the council who don;t want the inconvenience of actually supplying a service.

Or maybe like walking into Pizza Hut and ordering a 9 inch pizza but complaining because a 9 inch pizza and not a 12 inch pizza was delivered to your table tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 18 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I agree.

West Berks Council waste collection "service" is so appalling it would shame a banana republic.

I cannot quite recall when our recycling was last collected but it was at some point in December. Needless to say, all our bins are like mountains now with waste piled up all over the place.

This is truly shameful.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 18 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jan 17 2010, 04:38 AM) *

Have you not heard about Global cooling? Apparently we are in for 30 years of extreme Winters. I'd suggest we have a conference about it. Copenhagen seems like a good place to have it......... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jan 18 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

For some reason I thought, because they had lots of days of recently, that the bin men would be out in force on Saturday clearing the back log.........just a pipe dream though.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 18 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 18 2010, 09:47 AM) *
I agree.

West Berks Council waste collection "service" is so appalling it would shame a banana republic.

I cannot quite recall when our recycling was last collected but it was at some point in December. Needless to say, all our bins are like mountains now with waste piled up all over the place.

This is truly shameful.
It's almost like the worst snow in 30 years never happened for some. It's a dim and distant memory and a few seem unable to fathom just why their bin hasn't been emptied.

Out of interest what would be your plan to clear the backlog which obviously takes more time to dispose of than normal. Hire extra resources at more cost, pay overtime to clear it at extra cost, or would you have sent the crews out in the snow risking injury and damage to the workforce and it's machinery? All have potential costs attached as private companies rarely do anything for free.

I'm interested hear your solution.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 18 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Only the people who've had problems with non-collection are normally going to post here.

I wonder how many (like me) have had no problems whatsoever, apart from a few days' delay due to when the weather was really bad?

Of course, that's not going to make it any better for the people who've not had collections, but I wonder what proportion it is? Perhaps a new NWN poll would be useful?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:17 AM