Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robin Hood Road Markings
JeffG
post May 29 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I know this has been discussed before, but excuse me while I get a rant off my chest regarding a stupid cow who cut me up on the Robin Hood this morning. I was in the left hand lane coming from the town side of London Road to carry on round to the A339 (S).

She was in the right hand lane (ending up going up the B4009!) and nearly went into me as I pulled over to go under the flyover (following the dotted lane markings).

We had an amusing shouting match through open windows (including some choice language from a "lady"), when I suggested she should check the road markings next time. As anyone who can read would know, the right hand land is only for traffic going up the A339 (N) towards Vodafone. It's so frustrating trying and failing to get through to morons like this.

Thanks. Rant over! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 29 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I also find those markings dangerous for cyclists. Especially where the fire station is. To be honest they weren’t very well thought out. Quite a few people have been complaining.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 29 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 29 2010, 11:49 AM) *
It's so frustrating trying and failing to get through to morons like this.

What methods have you employed? A stubborn refusal to let someone in, maybe? wink.gif

I would say that the whole giratory is a mishmash of lanes, and I'm never sure where I'm meant to be half the time and when you do, its too late. It's not intuitive and with the periodic lane alterations, even more confusing. With this in mind I have rarely been cut-up in so far I keep my eyes peeled for people changing lanes.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 29 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 29 2010, 01:26 PM) *
What methods have you employed? A stubborn refusal to let someone in, maybe? wink.gif

No, I am not that pig-headed (I like to think!). I meant during our "conversation" in parallel lanes, when she continued to insist she was right and I was wrong.

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post May 29 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 29 2010, 03:08 PM) *
No, I am not that pig-headed (I like to think!). I meant during our "conversation" in parallel lanes, when she continued to insist she was right and I was wrong.

And of course, she was right.

A lady always has the last word in an argument.....
If the male replies that is the start of the next argument
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ossy1
post May 29 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 29 2010, 11:49 AM) *
I know this has been discussed before, but excuse me while I get a rant off my chest regarding a stupid cow who cut me up on the Robin Hood this morning. I was in the left hand lane coming from the town side of London Road to carry on round to the A339 (S).

She was in the right hand lane (ending up going up the B4009!) and nearly went into me as I pulled over to go under the flyover (following the dotted lane markings).

We had an amusing shouting match through open windows (including some choice language from a "lady"), when I suggested she should check the road markings next time. As anyone who can read would know, the right hand land is only for traffic going up the A339 (N) towards Vodafone. It's so frustrating trying and failing to get through to morons like this.

Thanks. Rant over! smile.gif

No exactly what you mean, everyday I am in lane 1 of the 2 that goes up the A339 only for someone to cut across from the Thatcham lane to go up the A339. They are well marked and signposted but no some people think sign posts and directions are meaning less. Nevermind i'd be quiet happy to have a new front wing!!!!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 29 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Only one lane goes up the A339 though, from the town centre (London Road).

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 29 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

So what is one me to do if they make an error? Pull over and accept a big kicking from the 'perfect drivers'?

You are all bunch of driving snobs.

One of the things in the highway code is to be prepared for other drivers to do the unexpected, and top allow for some margin of error on their behalf. The amount of time I hear the same old people complain about this 'lane disciple' issue, suggests to me they can be just as apparently arrogant as the 'miscreants' they moan about.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 29 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

An error is one thing, most people on this junction seem to think they know better, and most don't back off, or indicate or put their hand up when they do it. Most of the time if someone makes an error, I am prepared for it anyway and leave them room to do it. It's part of being a perfect driver.....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 29 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

And there's a difference between an error, and just plain bad driving.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 29 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Let them in and let them carry on and just be satisfied that you have been a skilful enough driver to anticipate the 'inevitable' from a poor driver. tongue.gif

The Robin Hood Giratory is a ***** piece of road..I can cope with that.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post May 30 2010, 07:21 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 29 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Only one lane goes up the A339 though, from the town centre (London Road).

Sorry i was talking about coming from sainsburys direction where there are two cleary marked lanes.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 30 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Coming down the A339? There's still only one lane that goes up over the flyover part of the A339 (N), the middle lane is for the B4009 and Thatcham (A4), the left for the town centre and Hungerford. The Right lane does split once you are on the roundabout, but if someone came across from the left that is what I would consider just bad driving, rather than an error.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 30 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 29 2010, 10:18 PM) *
Let them in and let them carry on and just be satisfied that you have been a skilful enough driver to anticipate the 'inevitable' from a poor driver. tongue.gif

I would have done if I had been in a position to do so. I value my car more than that. However she was not ahead of me - she was on my right and slightly behind, so I assumed (agreed - bad assumption!) that she would be going up the A339 (N).

Pity she won't be reading this thread, since she obviously has limited reading skills.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 30 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I agree it was her bad, but like I said, the Robin Hood giratory is mare!

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 30 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Iommi @ May 30 2010, 11:26 AM) *
I agree it was her bad, but like I said, the Robin Hood giratory is mare!

I disagree, personally I find it vastly improved on before....simply read the signs and follow between the white lines, pretty easy and clear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 30 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ May 30 2010, 03:37 PM) *
simply read the signs and follow between the white lines, pretty easy and clear.

Agreed, but some think the signs and lane markings don't apply to them.

Having said that, the particular junction in question would be a lot safer if it reverted to the original two lanes past the fire station and round under the flyover, with the Hungerford direction turning off the left lane as it did before.

It's crazy that two lanes funnel into one for a short distance, only to turn into two again.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 30 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

But there is one lane to go up the flyover and one to go left. Then the lane to go left splits into two, one for Hungerford, one for everywhere else. Then the everywhere else e lane splits. It doesn't go from two lanes into one, it's just a series of splits.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 30 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 30 2010, 08:40 PM) *
It doesn't go from two lanes into one, it's just a series of splits.

If you moved to Newbury yesterday, perhaps. Try telling that to the people on the A339 northbound who arrive in the left hand lane at the first set of lights intending to go straight on and round to the A4 (E).

What I am saying is, the old system with two lanes to go straight on, was much preferable to the current arrangement, and much safer (and understood by everybody).

Traffic coming from London Road (West) could then continue in the left hand lane without the need to pull over to the right as is now mandated, and which obviously confused the charming lady in the (wrong) right-hand lane mentioned in my original post.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 30 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 30 2010, 10:47 PM) *
If you moved to Newbury yesterday, perhaps. Try telling that to the people on the A339 northbound who arrive in the left hand lane at the first set of lights intending to go straight on and round to the A4 (E).

What I am saying is, the old system with two lanes to go straight on, was much preferable to the current arrangement, and much safer (and understood by everybody).

Traffic coming from London Road (West) could then continue in the left hand lane without the need to pull over to the right as is now mandated, and which obviously confused the charming lady in the (wrong) right-hand lane mentioned in my original post.

I agree. Just talking about it on here is confusing! I thought you were talking about coming from London Road again - I see what you mean now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:42 AM