> Dumped sofas
Andy1
post Sep 27 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Sep 16 2010, 08:34 PM) *
Thank you both for that. It is food for thought.

We offered a bed and a sofa to the Community Furniture Project and they couldn't take it because the Fire saftey tags were missing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 27 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

We went there and it was pretty expensive I thought. We're not on benefits though. A friend of ours who is got some good cheap stuff though, and I guess it's a profit making business?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 27 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 27 2010, 08:40 PM) *
We went there and it was pretty expensive I thought. We're not on benefits though. A friend of ours who is got some good cheap stuff though, and I guess it's a profit making business?

Depends what you mean by 'profit making business'. The money goes back into the business to help others.

+Quote Post
gizmo
post Sep 27 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 200

I offered them a sofa, it had the fire tags still attatched. But they wouldn't take it as it had one small hole less than 3mm in the fabric on the base. The hole was underneath the seat cushions and was not visable.

I thought the community furniture project was aimed at helping people on a low income. The sofa I offered would have helped someone that could not afford to buy a new one even if it was only as a temporary measure. I also thought that their assistants repaired and refurbished donated items.

We ended up demolishing it to fit it in the car to take to the tip.

I will not be donating anything to them again.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Sep 28 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Sep 27 2010, 04:25 PM) *
We offered a bed and a sofa to the Community Furniture Project and they couldn't take it because the Fire saftey tags were missing

OK, thanks for that Andy. It is handy to know those things.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 28 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

freecycle.org is quite a good place to give to people things they need, you can choose exactly who it goes to as well.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 28 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 28 2010, 06:09 PM) *
freecycle.org is quite a good place to give to people things they need, you can choose exactly who it goes to as well.

Actually, the Newbury people (most of them) withdrew from Freecycle because they didn't like the way this (international) organisation was going. They joined Freegle instead.

(I don't know all the politics behind this, but I have used Freegle myself - there are still a few members lingering behind on freecycle, but not many.)

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 28 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

In my experience Freegle is good for getting rid, but pretty useless for getting stuff.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 28 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 28 2010, 07:21 PM) *
In my experience Freegle is good for getting rid

But that's what most of us want something like that for, isn't it?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 28 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 28 2010, 07:24 PM) *
But that's what most of us want something like that for, isn't it?

Yes...unless you are trying to get stuff. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 28 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 28 2010, 07:17 PM) *
Actually, the Newbury people (most of them) withdrew from Freecycle because they didn't like the way this (international) organisation was going. They joined Freegle instead

I'm sure they're both good.

+Quote Post
onegoodturn
post Sep 29 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 242

Just to clarify a few of the above points about The Community Furniture Project (Newbury):

We are a registered charity (no. 1082243), also running the Community Re-use Centre at New Greenham Park, the Community Furniture Project (Basingstoke) and the Growing Together Project at Kingsclere.

As well as running the furniture projects, we offer support and accredited training in practical skills to over 300 volunteers and trainees a year. We have volunteers from all backgrounds, many of them requiring high levels of support due to disabilities, learning difficulties, mental health issues or young people with behavioural issues. The income derived from our furniture sales only covers 60% of the cost of all the services we offer - we are not a profit making business.

Unfortunately, we are not able to accept some items that are kindly offered to us. This is for a variety of reasons, including:
- Trading Standards regulations, which say we are unable to pass on any items of unholstered furniture (sofas, mattresses etc) that do not have a specified label stating they meet fire safety regulations
- items need to be in good clean condition to pass on - although we repair items when we can, we do not always have the time, skills or tools to do so, particularly in the case of large items of unholstered furniture.
- we sometimes have a lack of storage space where we have a surfeit of particularly large items eg sideboards

We do always do our best to take items where we can (and through this divert over 644 tonnes of furniture, household and electrical items from landfill!)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 29 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

A nice, informative reply, thanks for clearing all that up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:28 PM