Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's kicking off on Facebook about West Berkshire's road surfacing timetable
Andy Capp
post Aug 20 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

The Newbury and Thatcham Berkshire Facebook group are having a moan about the traffic being caused by simultaneous roadworks at Thatcham rail crossing and Hambridge Road. Nice timing folks. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Aug 20 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Lower Way is being closed for 4 weeks as well. WBC have old residents that they will have o find alternative parking.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 20 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 20 2013, 08:46 PM) *
The Newbury and Thatcham Berkshire Facebook group are having a moan about the traffic being caused by simultaneous roadworks at Thatcham rail crossing and Hambridge Road. Nice timing folks. rolleyes.gif

You read a different thread to me then..... Someone asked if the crossing was open yet and a couple of comments, but that isn't what I call 'kicking off'.....

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 20 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 20 2013, 08:46 PM) *

Where is it kicking off?
Not the spotted page!
Maybe it's the same person who said we're all yootdem and boy racers.. hah!
Why don't we have a "Newbury Today Forum" Facebook page? Imagine the fun........

I noticed today when I went to Sainsburys, the traffic on Hambridge Road was AWFUL. And as you say, there's no secondary route. I did not know there were roadworks on at Hambridge Road till I was stuck in the queue lol.

Newres - Really? I don't think they can do that legally can they? Lower Was has a few flats down the bottom.. I used to live in Saxon Court, so you could get in from Pound Lane, but there were some streets and buildings you could not.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 20 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Aug 20 2013, 09:45 PM) *
You read a different thread to me then..... Someone asked if the crossing was open yet and a couple of comments, but that isn't what I call 'kicking off'.....

You have no sense of humour! tongue.gif You are not reading the right thread. It was yesterday at around 11:25

"Hello. Just wanted to let u know that there are long delays on Hambridge rd. From today until mid Sept. Due to road works. prob best to avoid it especially in rush. hour!"

21 replies, many saying what a shower the council are; however, I have a certain sympathy with the council as I would imagine they are trying to get this done in the holidays and in the 'quiet' season.

Some comments:

"Temp traffic lights along Floral way too and I think along a4 in Thatcham by aplan .... Remind me again what part our tax money goes to there common sense department"

"Who are the pillocks that get paid a lot of money to make these decisions Thank god I've got a motorbike"

"Who Evers responsible at west berks council for organising these on going and future road works, please dont go near any brewery's, you mugg. Rant over..."

"brill...... who makes these decisions? affect two major routes to newbury, at the same time, in the holidays?! bloody numpty "

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 20 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

2 threads on the same topic? Disgraceful

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 21 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Train, Cycle, Walk.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 21 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 21 2013, 01:31 PM) *
Train, Cycle, Walk.....

FMOB, I didn't think of that! Not a very helpful suggestion for people that need to drive there, and being an industrial area, that will be many.

For my bit for the community, I went on a recce, it seems that many people don't know to get to the other side of the lights (going west), one can just drive round Bone Lane, which is clear outside of rush hour. Well, until people read this anyway!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 21 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 21 2013, 01:44 PM) *
FMOB, I didn't think of that! Not a very helpful suggestion for people that need to drive there, and being an industrial area, that will be many.

For my bit for the community, I went on a recce, it seems that many people don't know to get to the other side of the lights (going west), one can just drive round Bone Lane, which is clear outside of rush hour. Well, until people read this anyway!

In the age of the sat nav people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves about what route to take when driving.

MM above states - I noticed today when I went to Sainsburys, the traffic on Hambridge Road was AWFUL. And as you say, there's no secondary route......

In his previous incarnation MM said he worked on Bone Lane - if he still does that makes him bone idle if he is driving to Sainsbury's. Adding to the very conjestion he finds himeslf mired in.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 21 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 21 2013, 01:50 PM) *
In the age of the sat nav people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves about what route to take when driving.

MM above states - I noticed today when I went to Sainsburys, the traffic on Hambridge Road was AWFUL. And as you say, there's no secondary route......

In his previous incarnation MM said he worked on Bone Lane - if he still does that makes him bone idle if he is driving to Sainsbury's. Adding to the very conjestion he finds himeslf mired in.

You make assumptions and it makes you a moron.
I worked down Bone Lane about 3 years ago.
I now work the complete OTHER END of Thatcham
And even if I DID work at Bone Lane, driving to Sainsburys a) wouldn't involve the road works as you'd go up Boundry Hill b.) if I want to buy a weeks worth of shopping I'm not going to walk from work to Sainsburys, shop, carry 3 or 4 bags of shopping back to work and put them in my car, only to drive home.

If I want to be bone idle I pay enough taxes to warrant it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 21 2013, 03:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 21 2013, 04:17 PM) *
You make assumptions and it makes you a moron.
I worked down Bone Lane about 3 years ago.
I now work the complete OTHER END of Thatcham
And even if I DID work at Bone Lane, driving to Sainsburys a) wouldn't involve the road works as you'd go up Boundry Hill b.) if I want to buy a weeks worth of shopping I'm not going to walk from work to Sainsburys, shop, carry 3 or 4 bags of shopping back to work and put them in my car, only to drive home.

3 years? - methinks your perception of time is a little confused. Either that or you lie in your posts.

You'll notice - or maybe you didn't, that I did say 'if he still does'

no matter.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 21 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 21 2013, 04:17 PM) *
If I want to be bone idle I pay enough taxes to warrant it.

Good for you.

Although I think you'll find payment of tax does not warrant you anything.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 21 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 21 2013, 04:23 PM) *
3 years? - methinks your perception of time is a little confused. Either that or you lie in your posts.

You'll notice - or maybe you didn't, that I did say 'if he still does'

no matter.

I worked at a network company down there. I started working there....uhh.. I think very late 2010 or early 2011.. I can't remember to be honest.
Why would I lie?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 21 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Looking at the traffic round that area today, I dread to think what it will be like when the Racecourse development is fully populated and the same thing has to happen again!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 21 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Interesting about the closure of the Thatcham crossing although as I avoid that area, I can't comment on the veracity, but it appears that a few motorists moved closure signs to cross over the railway lines anyway. The remainder of the story is that those that did were caught on CCTV and the fines that will result will make the Wharf bridge fines look like a real bargain.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 21 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (newres @ Aug 20 2013, 09:10 PM) *
Lower Way is being closed for 4 weeks as well. WBC have old residents that they will have o find alternative parking.

Does your keyboard suffer loss of t syndrome.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 22 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 21 2013, 11:27 PM) *
Does your keyboard suffer loss of t syndrome.

Ah, is that it? I just assumed that Lower Way had old residents.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 22 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 22 2013, 11:08 AM) *
Ah, is that it? I just assumed that Lower Way had old residents.

Is that because they must have lost their sense of smell...?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 22 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 22 2013, 12:24 AM) *
Interesting about the closure of the Thatcham crossing although as I avoid that area, I can't comment on the veracity, but it appears that a few motorists moved closure signs to cross over the railway lines anyway. The remainder of the story is that those that did were caught on CCTV and the fines that will result will make the Wharf bridge fines look like a real bargain.

Have they got cctv cameras operating there then to catch violators?
I'm not sure the Network Rail ones that work the crossing actually record and even if they did they are not accurate enough to record the number plates.
Also, who would issue the fines from a Network Rail recording and what law would they be breaking?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 24 2013, 05:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Trespass on the railway is taken very seriously other than that, probably no laws being broken.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:21 AM