Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Great Western Disinformation Website
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I just tried to find out when I need to pick someone up who had the misfortune to use 'our' train service. Can I find out, can I fu.... angry.gif

I just need to find the arrival time, I don't need to buy a ticket, and it will be a bus as as always; there's the perpetual engineering works! Bloody third world standard train service, and indeed, website!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 1 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

trainline.com

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 1 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I always use the network rail site, the FGW and trainline sites are really difficult to navigate for that kind of information. Plus trainline is usually out of date!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 2 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

There you go!
Took me 3 clicks!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Claude
post Dec 2 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

I'm with Andy on this one. The site used to be relatively intuitive, and you could quite easily find train times & associated details without having to look at an 'old-fashioned' timetable, but for some reason that functionality seems to have been removed yet it still exists on competitors' sites. Bizarre.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 2 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Dec 2 2013, 12:57 PM) *
I'm with Andy on this one. The site used to be relatively intuitive, and you could quite easily find train times & associated details without having to look at an 'old-fashioned' timetable, but for some reason that functionality seems to have been removed yet it still exists on competitors' sites. Bizarre.

Sorry, I don't see the problem.
Home page, scroll down to "Live Departures", enter your station name, hit "go" and it's all there!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 2 2013, 12:01 PM) *
Sorry, I don't see the problem.
Home page, scroll down to "Live Departures", enter your station name, hit "go" and it's all there!

Well the PDF takes an age to load (I found it last night), then it doesn't help with the revised timetable dues to a replacement bus service. Rail timetables are an esoteric nightmare for infrequent users. All I wanted to know is the arrival times at Newbury. I didn't know what train was caught, nor what bus was caught.

Put simply, I have no confidence that I have read a timetable correctly. A website should be able to offer a better way of doing it than a link to a pdf. The way that flight information is delivered via the web is much easier than our crappy offerings.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 2 2013, 12:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2013, 01:08 PM) *
Well the PDF takes an age to load (I found it last night), then it doesn't help with the revised timetable dues to a replacement bus service. Rail timetables are an esoteric night mare for occasional users. All I wanted to know is the arrival times at Newbury. I didn't know what train was caught, not what bus was caught.

Put simply, I have no confidence that I have read a timetable correctly. A web sight should be able top offer a better way of doing it than a link to a pdf.

There was no "revised timetable".
The times are clearly shown if you look at the timetable under "Sunday"
Because it was in the past I am unable to confirm if it was shown in "Live Arrivals" (Similar to that used by airlines!)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2013, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 2 2013, 12:12 PM) *
There was no "revised timetable".
The times are clearly shown if you look at the timetable under "Sunday"
Because it was in the past I am unable to confirm if it was shown in "Live Arrivals"

It had red writing that the service was disrupted and sent you to another page that was equally uninformative.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 2 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2013, 01:13 PM) *
It had red writing that the service was disrupted and sent you to another page that was equally uninformative.

Ah right!
You first said "All I needed was an arrival time" which is clearly shown on the timetable.
I didn't realise that there was "red writing".

I don't understand the problems folks have with timetables.
They have been in use for 175 years!
And the older ones were much more complicated!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 2 2013, 12:20 PM) *
Ah right!
You first said "All I needed was an arrival time" which is clearly shown on the timetable.
I didn't realise that there was "red writing".

I don't understand the problems folks have with timetables.
They have been in use for 175 years!
And the older ones were much more complicated!! biggrin.gif

You don't have a problem because you are a rail enthusiast and therefore are fully conversant with them. Many are not, and while they might be the only way to deliver the information on a train platform, a website should be able to deliver the information much more easily.

Why can't the website just offer a simple html table of departure and arrival times for the day or time rather than the PDFs of timetables? That way, when buses (frequently) replace trains, it can be dynamically updated.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Come on Andy, in 175 years they haven't even worked out how to make signals work properly and consistently, or how to make trains stop reasonably quickly, or how to actually seat customers comfortably, or how to add extra coaches when traffic demands or (cont. page 98) ...computers; what are they?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 2 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2013, 12:08 PM) *
Well the PDF takes an age to load (I found it last night), then it doesn't help with the revised timetable dues to a replacement bus service. Rail timetables are an esoteric nightmare for infrequent users. All I wanted to know is the arrival times at Newbury. I didn't know what train was caught, nor what bus was caught.

Put simply, I have no confidence that I have read a timetable correctly. A website should be able to offer a better way of doing it than a link to a pdf. The way that flight information is delivered via the web is much easier than our crappy offerings.

Again, why not look at Trainline.com
Very easy to use...lists return journeys as well as singles and all the times/stops/changes that may need ot be made. Or you know, go to the train station and look lol

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I think Andy C's issue is with the temporary replacement services, not the every day stuff. These 'services' seem to be very ad-hoc and information provided via bits of paper. Given that the disruption occurs to a strict project timetable and that has been known about for ages, it would not have been unreasonable to expect a better and online method of communicating information.

Yes, we know they are 'investing millions' and some inconvenience can be expected. However, they should be giving some consideration to paying customers who are forced to remain. The temporary arrangements for passengers at Reading are non too bright in that regard either.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 2 2013, 02:58 PM) *
Again, why not look at Trainline.com

Because it doesn't exist? wink.gif

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 2 2013, 02:58 PM) *
Very easy to use...lists return journeys as well as singles and all the times/stops/changes that may need ot be made. Or you know, go to the train station and look lol

The complaint wasn't about how do I find out, it is the way the information is presented on our 'esteemed' rail service website.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 2 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

I was going to post the thread to the Live arrivals board last night,

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-jo...station/Newbury

but it wasn't working last night so I didn't bother at the time. Hopefully next time you need it it will be working OK

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 2 2013, 06:29 PM) *
I was going to post the thread to the Live arrivals board last night,

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-jo...station/Newbury

but it wasn't working last night so I didn't bother at the time. Hopefully next time you need it it will be working OK

That's great, although it is not in my view very easy to find unless you know what you are looking for. My guess is that it is linked with the train service, so if the buses are running instead, they cannot tell where the bus is.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Spot on! Railway IT people haven't heard of the cloud or mobile technologies yet. Welcome to public transport!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 2 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I find the National Rail app very useful, in fact it sometimes shows which platform a train is departing from before they show it in the station.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 3 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 2 2013, 01:57 PM) *
or how to make trains stop reasonably quickly,

Eh? blink.gif
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 2 2013, 01:57 PM) *
or how to add extra coaches when traffic demands or (cont. page 98) ...computers; what are they?

They used to be able to do that but the progression? towards fixed formation trains in order to make things less labour intensive have changed all that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:10 PM