Reply to this topicStart new topic
> News standards, No, I'm not bashing the NWN
badmummajamma
post May 1 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

I was driving between Reading and Northampton this morning from a meeting and had the Jeremy Vine show on.

He was trying to stir up some "debate" about the tragic Headly Ford death yesterday, which happened not far from my place. Despite the fact that I used to be a journo myself, I've got to say that there are some stories that really don't need a fresh angle or further analysis. It is was it is. A single tragic incident.

Why BBC radio two feels the need to drag it out, I don't know.

Vine was goading the poor bloke who called the emergency services, who was clearly still very upset and emotional about it - as you can image. It made for very uncomfortable and unneccesary listening. I'll be amazed if the BBC don't get complaints about it.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the debate moved on to "We all hate Germans because of the war". Discuss. While I agree that the events of the Second World War should never be forgotten, so that we may continue to learn lessons from history, how is whipping xenephobic morons into a tizz about new generarations of Germans worth the airtime on national radio?!

If I was 10 years older, I'd be writing to Newswatch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 1 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

QUOTE (badmummajamma @ May 1 2012, 12:49 PM) *
I was driving between Reading and Northampton this morning from a meeting and had the Jeremy Vine show on.

He was trying to stir up some "debate" about the tragic Headly Ford death yesterday, which happened not far from my place. Despite the fact that I used to be a journo myself, I've got to say that there are some stories that really don't need a fresh angle or further analysis. It is was it is. A single tragic incident.

Vine was goading the poor bloke who called the emergency services, who was clearly still very upset and emotional about it - as you can image. It made for very uncomfortable and unneccesary listening. I'll be amazed if the BBC don't get complaints about it.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the debate moved on to "We all hate Germans because of the war". Discuss. While I agree that the events of the Second World War should never be forgotten, so that we may continue to learn lessons from history, how is whipping xenephobic morons into a tizz about new generarations of Germans worth the airtime on national radio?!

If I was 10 years older, I'd be writing to Newswatch.

When I saw the subject of this was "news standards" I thought it was about this appauling piece of "writing" I stumbled upon recently...

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/funeral...ury-centenarian

My grammar is not 100% perfect myself. That said, I don't publish in the local newspaper (first time in the forum too). John found time to reply to my mail, but not time to edit out a million slapdash commas or sense check the article. I always find it really bad form when we're supposed to be paying respecs to a recently deceased person, and the author cannot, seemingly be bothered to read their work before publishing.

Heh, maybe he was having a bad day!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 1 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (badmummajamma @ May 1 2012, 01:49 PM) *

I do take your point; sometimes the media can be tactless.

But if media attention following a tragic accident raises public awareness of the dangers then that can be a positive.

Media attention following accidents at level-crossings has perhaps made people think more about the dangers and has probably helped force the improvement of their design.

Of course, you cannot replace lack of common sense and there is not much that can be done with a ford. But if sensible coverage helps raise awareness and makes people think twice, thus preventing future accidents, then that can be a good thing.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 1 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Newbelly @ May 1 2012, 05:55 PM) *
I do take your point; sometimes the media can be tactless.

But if media attention following a tragic accident raises public awareness of the dangers then that can be a positive.

Media attention following accidents at level-crossings has perhaps made people think more about the dangers and has probably helped the improvement of their design.

Of course, you cannot replace lack of common sense; people should not attempt to drive through a ford in flood. But if sensible coverage helps raise awareness and makes people think twice, thus preventing future accidents, then that can be a good thing.

I probably sound a tad insensitive here considering what has just happened but I still maintain that roads, level crossings and yes, fords, are not themselves dangerous.
It is the people who use them inappropriately that are.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 1 2012, 06:03 PM) *
I probably sound a tad insensitive here considering what has just happened but I still maintain that roads, level crossings and yes, fords, are not themselves dangerous.
It is the people who use them inappropriately that are.

That is true, but sometimes, the danger can be 'designed out' of some things. More people will come a cropper at this crossing, and to be fair, other people are at risk from trying to help the people that do. Perhaps there should be a more distinct solution, like a cistern that operates a road closed barrier or something. Or perhaps put a real sized car in the middle of the ford, to one side, so people can see clearly how deep it is. Not being funny, but some people might not know what 3.5 foot actually means in practical terms.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 1 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Yes I suppose you are right and the only way of dealing with it is to either close it completely or when the water level reaches a point where it is dangerous to cross.
Is this ford a higher liability than many others country?
Every time we have flood conditions in this country it seems someone comes a cropper somewhere.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 1 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 1 2012, 06:18 PM) *
Yes I suppose you are right and the only way of dealing with it is to either close it completely or when the water level reaches a point where it is dangerous to cross.

One man's danger is another's excitement. If you have a proper 4x4 vehicle and are happy to get the wheels muddy (which immediately strikes off 95% of the owners) then you positively search out these mud holes, water splashes and fords. Every one of them in UK (nearly 2,000) is listed on this website and each is given a star rating and thrill seekers review.
Wetroads.co.uk

Is this ford a higher liability than many others country?

This ford gets a respectable 4* rating so it's up there as a challenging feature. There's only 50 fords listed as 5* in the country.
wetroads Berkshire

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 1 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Closing it completely would be impractical. For example, a farm worker in a tractor can safely cross a ford when a car cannot. Also, a ford can become too deep for a car very quickly, such as overnight.

I am sure it is not beyond the wit of man to come up with a low-cost solution to warn car drivers (should they need it) as to an increased depth of water.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 1 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Or perhaps put a real sized car in the middle of the ford, to one side, so people can see clearly how deep it is. Not being funny, but some people might not know what 3.5 foot actually means in practical terms.
A reasonable suggestion, outline frame of a car as a piece of 'outside memorial art'. The problem will of course be that any passing branch, detritus and general rubbish will gather against it and before you know it the ford is closed just because of the piles of rubbish.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 1 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ May 1 2012, 06:59 PM) *
I am sure it is not beyond the wit of man to come up with a low-cost solution to warn car drivers (should they need it) as to an increased depth of water.

EUREKA!!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 1 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Yes, very good. I walked into that one! rolleyes.gif

Perhaps there could be something a little more "in your face"? There are so many static signs around these days that maybe some people get blind to them.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ May 1 2012, 07:04 PM) *
EUREKA!!

Like I said, some will not be sure what that sign actually means to drive through. We could do with a clear sign saying "It's too effin deep, turn round now"

Perhaps some kind of traffic light where the red light says: Too deep for cars. Turn round. Or maybe a barrier that closes the road when too deep for cars, but can be manually opened (by farmers).

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 1 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Rising bollards??

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Perhaps a life size person (dummy) placed in the middle to demonstrate the depth.

Or perhaps a special type of road that is built to high for the water to reach, with a hole underneath where the water can run unimpeded.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 1 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2012, 07:26 PM) *
Perhaps a life size person (dummy) placed in the middle to demonstrate the depth.

Like a councillor? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 1 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2012, 07:26 PM) *
Or perhaps a special type of road that is built to high for the water to reach, with a hole underneath where the water can run unimpeded.

Oh.... I've heard of them... they've got a name I'm sure... tip of me tongue....

Is it 'bridge'?

However, as it's on the border Hampshire will want Berkshire to build and fund it and vicky-verky

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 1 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I do believe my dear fellows that the question is not what the correct solution is, but the approximate amount of expense those in power believe is a justifiable cost.
As I live in Turnpike and thus am too poor to afford to travel that far out of the way, I've only seen the ford once or twice, about 5 years ago when I went with my Nephew. And we were there for about an hour and saw not a single vehicle, only a man in a green coat and a dog.

Thus why perhaps a bridge would not be a justifiable cost to the kind and reasonable council folk.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 2 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

A comment was made about level crossings and dangers on roads earlier.
About a year ago on the Ely bypass a camper van driven by a (no comment) person,
was hit by a train . I know the crossing. It is very big. The road has clear markings.

The driver overtook a line of parked cars and was smacked by the oncoming train.
The parked cars were of course waiting sensibly for the barrier to be lifted.( Only a half bar at that one.)
It is a signal box operated crossing as well.

Was the driver in a hurry to find a toilet or just dippy.

It is a shame about the loss of life at a ford which does seem to have adequate warnings.

A Norfolk Judge died in a ford a few years ago. A night at "The Ostrich" didn't help.
Less than a hand of water can do you no good, after a gallon of whiskey.
ce.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post May 3 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (badmummajamma @ May 1 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Vine was goading the poor bloke who called the emergency services

No he wasn't. Far from it, in fact. Vine was obviously uncomfortable as well.

Vine

Readers (listeners)? can make up their own mind if this gentleman is being "goaded" or not.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post May 3 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Squelchy @ May 3 2012, 05:03 PM) *
No he wasn't. Far from it, in fact. Vine was obviously uncomfortable as well.

Readers (listeners)? can make up their own mind if this gentleman is being "goaded" or not.

I listened to the show and I would not say the guy who phoned in was being goaded.

I like the Jeremy Vine show, it is well produced, but sometimes it can be a little sanctimonious perhaps?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:45 AM